I'm thinking of doing a very odd thing to compensate for my 21 frets -- tuning from Eb (or E) to G so that I have a high E on the 21st high G string. Needless to say, I'm too scared to try it, especially on my Yngwie Strat. Would it be suicide to do something like that on my old Mexi Strat?
Tuning up isnt recommendable even if its half a step. Puts more pressure to the strings and limits your bend since you'll be worried sick of breaking the string(s). Risk of string breaking is higher and definetely not recommended for FR users/trem users.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
tuning up won't work, the strings'll snap... down wouldn't work because it's too low. Why do you need a high e on the G?Why not play it on the b?
YES IT WOULD!!!

To much tention would cause the string to snap after a few seconds/Minutes (Depending on how hard you play it) still, if you have spares... go ahead
.....•••••áñÐ ÝÔÜ Łhòûghł Wê w飀 Ð탃rëñ†•••••.....
Quote by merfsullivan
tuning up won't work, the strings'll snap... down wouldn't work because it's too low. Why do you need a high e on the G?Why not play it on the b?

I meant that I'd tune the high E string up to a G so that on the 21st fret would be an E.

Anyways, I won't do it now. Thanks. Guess I actually need a 24 fret guitar for real.
lets not forget more tension on the neck is never a good idea
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
For 21st fret guitars, there isnt much way of resolving to the 24th fret note then to bend the 21st. You may not be able to fret the 24th but you'll add more character to the sound. That's what Yngwie does usually when going for the highest Eb.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Yngwie does use 8s for his high e. But he uses Eb tuning

The only certain way is to experiment it
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I like to play around and experiment with tuning... what I found sounds cool... and can add a little cooler sound with stuff is lowering your D string down one step... Hmm.. *shrugs* *pouts* I know.. I suck *sniffle* And if your playing all your strings down a step (DGCFAD), btw... just leave your high e at regular tuning and that would give the illusion of having 23 frets :P and just bend a little ... But I don't really know anything, so don't listen ot my blabble.
yes, you can tune the string up, but not too far without changing string gauge. I change tunings a lot, and I can get away with tuning a normal .018 gauge G string up to B, and I can even get a .010 high E up to G without issues. All of this on both my acoustics as well as my strats.
I think it'll work fine.

My 1st string is tuned up to G and it hasn't snapped yet. If you're going to tune that high, you'd want to do it slowly and carefully, going both ways (tuning up or down).

Using this tuning, I think you might have to take into consideration the fact that you're neck 'may' warp after a while. Although mine is still fine after 3 months, I'm sure it'll be different for every guitar.

Also, bending will be fairly difficult, though not impossible. You'd have to get the string comfortable in the tuning first.

I'm using .10 gauge strings.
Member #5 of Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club.
Contact iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Do pinch harmonics(single octave) on the 21st fret on your G string, pow
Quote by untitled039
Get a Whammy pedal. Do all sorts of weird stuff high or low.

Blah ya beat me to it, :P i always wanna be the first to suggest the whammy pedal for these types of threads.
why cant you just bend up?
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
I used to tune all my strings up 1/2 a step (my old singer had a really strange voice), but then I discovered the whammy pedal.
Dickless.
I've had an 11 guage E tuned up to the F# without any trouble

smaller than that there should be no problem; be warned that the string probably won't last as long, and that floting bridges will have to be compensated for the change in tension

If you're looking for extending your range, you might check out fripp's new standard tuning:

C G D A E G (On my 11s, I use it a half step down to avoid snapping the 2nd string)

If you need any more reassurance, go know that on a light set (10s) of twelve strings, the high g is an 8.