ok, so ive been playing guitar for a little while and without bragging im getting pretty good. Anyway, my friend has been playing for about 18 months and i wanna have jam sessions and cover a few songs etc ect then in the future start up a band. My friend has been playing a year longer than me and hes just so crappy, he cant pull off any of the songs we have tried to play no matter how easy they are, how do i tell him to get the finger out and play better?! Theres nobody else about that i know off that plays guitar/other instuments that would be up for a jam and it sucks.
hit him with a baseball bat which is set alight, then he will get better XD
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Perhaps he loves the cock, nah, don't try push him. Kick him out if it persists for too long.
yo.

I BELIEVE

im in exactly the same situation!!!!!!
it sucks doesnt it....
my mate has NO timing at all...... eg. he cant even nail For Whom The Bell Tolls verse IN TIME he does kinda suck!
and the other guitarist in my band lives like, 986352373 miles away from me (exaggerated if ya didnt know ) so i cant jam with him :/
how do i tell him to get the finger out and play better?! QUOTE]

heh heh, you said get the finger out

my friend actually had the same problem. but i found out that different people learn in different ways so maybe your friend needs a new approach to practicing.

or lessons

heh heh, finger
MY BANDS

Phat Toosday and the Astro-Bus
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/ptabmusic

Lets All Get Superpowers
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/lags

Hobstolopho
artists.ultimate-guitar.com/hobstolopho

Come Visit Today!!!
yeah same here, whenever i go up to his house and pick up the guitar and play hes like "that sounds really cool" even if its just a load of shite and really easy to play then i show him how to play it and its like torture, he doesnt know the names of chords and has to remember where to put each individual finger. Its so frustrating but since hes my best friend i cant say " you ****ing suck ass!"
You should try and play a simple song with him and actually help him, and try to motivate him to play a lot. Once person said I do motivate him because I talk about guitar all the time, everytime he talks to me he said that he just wanted to go home and play for a good few hours. It felt so warm.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
Thanks for the advice, ive tried to play simple stuff with him but he just doesnt play it right/on time or whatever, even the most basic stuff such as house of the rising sun or smoke on the water seems to be a challenge, it just sounds bad. Example - take ac/dc's thunderstruck, the intro was one of the first songs i learned and as you'll all agree its pretty mince easy, but my friend cant even play that. He doesnt know how to alternate pick or use his other fingers..............its so annoying cos hes like the only other person i know of that plays guitar in my area.
Jesus man you're so harsh. Why do YOU suck so much?
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
Quote by Gbell3587
Thanks for the advice, ive tried to play simple stuff with him but he just doesnt play it right/on time or whatever, even the most basic stuff such as house of the rising sun or smoke on the water seems to be a challenge, it just sounds bad. Example - take ac/dc's thunderstruck, the intro was one of the first songs i learned and as you'll all agree its pretty mince easy, but my friend cant even play that. He doesnt know how to alternate pick or use his other fingers..............its so annoying cos hes like the only other person i know of that plays guitar in my area.

I think you need to build up his confidence he's properly feeling bad and demotivated that he can't play. You need to teach him a chord or two and when he does congratulate him. Teach him a Em or something. With timing you have to do it without pressure. He needs to enjoy it.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I agree, i always help people up. At the last show we all protected this little kid who was tying his shoe in the middle of the pit.

http://www.mylot.com/?ref=Phase3
i bought my friend a "how to play guitar" book and he was pissed for like two weeks. then when i found out he was reading it... he became better. just get him some reading material and tell him to practice more.. only practice will make him better.
maybe he never practiced as much as you?

someone could OWN a guitar for 5 years and have about a day of playing time in all of it.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Maybe people don't take the instrument as seriously as you do? I've "played" guitar for 6 years and I suck, because I play it for fun, don't seriously apply myself to learn really challenging songs and rarely practice because it's not that fun. I play what I have fun playing, but I don't seriously push myself because I see guitar as a leisure activity and not as something I have to master.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Maybe people don't take the instrument as seriously as you do? I've "played" guitar for 6 years and I suck, because I play it for fun, don't seriously apply myself to learn really challenging songs and rarely practice because it's not that fun. I play what I have fun playing, but I don't seriously push myself because I see guitar as a leisure activity and not as something I have to master.

Exactly.

The only time ever tried to play anything challenging is for A level exams.
Quote by Gbell3587
ok, so ive been playing guitar for a little while and without bragging im getting pretty good. Anyway, my friend has been playing for about 18 months and i wanna have jam sessions and cover a few songs etc ect then in the future start up a band. My friend has been playing a year longer than me and hes just so crappy, he cant pull off any of the songs we have tried to play no matter how easy they are, how do i tell him to get the finger out and play better?! Theres nobody else about that i know off that plays guitar/other instuments that would be up for a jam and it sucks.

Well, if you're so good, why don't you help him out instead of criticizing his playing?
Quote by cochise788
Well, if you're so good, why don't you help him out insted of criticizing his playing?

That is my point, how do i go about helping him out without saying he sucks. I prob should have worded it better. Like some people have said he doesnt practice as much, maybe hes not as interested in learning as me but its annoying that hes the only other player about in my area that i could jam with.
I have this exact problem with our drummer. And several other problems too.

- NO natural rhythm
- Always counts in songs at unplayable speed
- Constantly destroys his sticks, and half the kit as well (dodgy cheap cymbals from eBay)
- Has absolutely no ambition, refusing to believe that he can even learn blink-182 songs
- Has to follow drum tabs EXACTLY and doesn't appreciate it as a whole (see first point)
- Has no imagination whatsoever for our own songs
- Always tells me and the bassist he wants to do something much more "punky" and entirely based on power chords whenever we have something interesting going on
- Refuses to jam at all
- Drowns out every attempt at a jam (or tuning our instruments) with BASHBASHBASH

Basically I just don't think he's musically minded at all. A good example of this is: on our summer holiday this year he listened to the Fall of Troy INCESSANTLY. I play Ghostship IV pretty much every practice we have and he still hasn't noticed. The other week he took the piss and called it 'Spanish folk music'. Honestly! And one week I thought up a riff, played variations on it for a while and he said "wow, please say you thought of that on your own?" and couldn't get enough of it - the next week I played it again and he said "yeah I don't like that very much, it needs more power chords."

He's a ****ing n00b and can't take ANY criticism, even constructive stuff like GET LESSONS PLS. But he's also a very good friend. If I were to throw him out of the band he would get in a huge tantrum and probably not speak to me for ages. And that would be awful.

Much like you, there's also no one else available locally.
Perhaps you're pushing him too much into jamming with you?
"Gear":
1980s Copy of Les Paul [unknown brand]
1980s Acoustic [unknown brand]
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Moonrock
DIY Tubescreamer TS808
Carlsbro Kickstart 25 amp

Fight Ignorance --> www.erowid.org

My Tube Screamer Build
Just ask him if he's serious about playing. And if he says no, tell him that you're looking for serious musicians. I've had to do this before with my own cousin.

But if he wants to be serious about it, just invite him over to your place and go over techniques and stuff like that.

I'm not sure if there is a real nice way to say "hey, you need to work on your guitar playing." But if you tell him that, he'll take it into consideration, if he's serious about playing guitar. If he doesn't, then he's not going to be serious.

Thats just my take on it.
Quote by cochise788
Just ask him if he's serious about playing. And if he says no, tell him that you're looking for serious musicians. I've had to do this before with my own cousin.

But if he wants to be serious about it, just invite him over to your place and go over techniques and stuff like that.

I'm not sure if there is a real nice way to say "hey, you need to work on your guitar playing." But if you tell him that, he'll take it into consideration, if he's serious about playing guitar. If he doesn't, then he's not going to be serious.

Thats just my take on it.

Yeah cheers for the advice, im pretty sure he is into guitar because he buys new equipment every so often and always asks me if i know any good tabs. Think your right, i need to tell him to brush up on some of the basics and try and advance his techniques even to the point where he may be able to play some basic chords and licks etc. Im not wanting to start a band right now, but im really looking for someone to jam with and maybe record some stuff.......who better than your best friend eh.
Tell him to learn speed metal symphony otherwise you'll kill his father and rape his mother, then a few years from now after he's spent every waking hour on it he'll be able to play tons of easier stuff...

No, but seriously, what usually worked for me was pushing myself to play stuff that was kinda more significantly outside my abilities, and once I mastered that, everything that was easier than it was a breeze. I personally think this is a good "get good fast" kind of strategy, just remember that you still gotta keep it clean and maybe learn some theory along the way.
Perhaps hes just not musically talented? You either have it or you don't. Its like sayin if you train non stop for 10 years at football ( the real one were you use your feet ) then you will be a pro but that won't happen as you got to at least have raw talent to start with then work on it. Why not get him to play bass instead? If he can't do that just shoot him and take his guitar if its a nice one.
Quote by Burningritual
Perhaps hes just not musically talented? You either have it or you don't. Its like sayin if you train non stop for 10 years at football ( the real one were you use your feet ) then you will be a pro but that won't happen as you got to at least have raw talent to start with then work on it. Why not get him to play bass instead? If he can't do that just shoot him and take his guitar if its a nice one.

^ pretty much what i was gonna say. some people just don't take to music - i know that my mum has had singing pupils who can't sing a note in tune, and i've met people who can't even clap in 4/4 time. however, your brain keeps developing until you're about 16 as far as music is concerned, so you can learn to be naturally better at music until that time (my mum has taught some people who've never sung a note in tune to sing well whilst they're still young), by practising.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy