Is it the craftmanship, strings, wood, or pickups, or anything else. I heard craftmanship and wood but i just wanna make sure.
Nothing. Everything effects it "the most." If you change a characteristic of the guitar, you'll change its sound. The percentages thing is nonsense.
Hi, I'm Peter
I am going to disagree with most people here, pick ups effect the most. But they all do effect it.
hmm....id go with wood for the guitar, but overall the amp, as it does shape the frequencies you hear.
I would have to say the player
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
The type of wood and shape of the guitar affects the most (coz thats the way the sound produced by the string bounces ...and after that is picked up by the pickups)......then a very important thing people forget is the type of neck you have (also makes different tone).
Pickups doesn't really affect the tone very much....I mean...of course it would sound very different a single and a hum....but in the same category...all are more or less the same (just go to SD website and listen...).
And finally ... and i think that what affect the tone the most - is the amp!
How would you like to be an egg? You only get laid once. It takes 4 minutes to get hard, 2 minutes to get soft. You share your box with 9 other guys. But worst of all: the only chick that ever sat on your face was your mother. So cheer up...
Mike Eldred (Fender Custom Shop) says on the Fender Factory Tour video that the wood effects tone much more than pickups.
Player > Wood > Pickups > General Components > Body Shape > Craftsmanship
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Player effects overall sound by using a particular style, which is not the same as "tone."
Hi, I'm Peter
The amp and a pedal if you've got one. A lot of people say pick-ups make a big difference, but I've just switched from a single-coil pick-up guitar to a humbucker one, and there is hardly any difference
The amp, and any pedals, which count as sort of preamps on their own, affect the tone the most.

Then, it's the pickups. If you put a good pickup on a plywood guitar, well, it won't sing like a choir of angels, but it will affect the tone and it will sound good.
Player affects the sound, not the tone. Look, for people who say that, can they even tell the difference? Unless their finger has a different texture or something.

Amp affects most IMGO.
Quote by Invictious
Player affects the sound, not the tone. Look, for people who say that, can they even tell the difference? Unless their finger has a different texture or something.

What does that mean?
Hi, I'm Peter
wood or pickups and amp if u count that.
--Caleb
Quote by caughtinamosh
don't stick your penis in it

MY RIG!
Kramer Striker Custom FR-424 CM
B.c Rich Bronze Warlock
Johnson Electric Acoustic
Zoom GFX-1 Multi Effect pedal
Randall RX25
Behringer Distortion Pedal
They all are all-important, maybe not pickups in thinking humbucker vs single-coil.

Without decent wood, your guitar sounds like crap
Without decent strings, your guitar sounds like crap.
Without decent craftsmanship, your guitar sounds like crap.
Without decent pickups, your guitar sounds like crap.
Without decent players, your guitar... Just... Crap.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
basically all of them affect the tone. but overall, maybe the amp and fx are the most i think..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by Dirk Gently
What does that mean?

Pfft, people here just try to sound wise by saying a tone sounds good only when the player is good (not referring to you). They look stupid actually, they can't even tell the difference between sound and tone.

No matter how crappy you are (like me), the tone will always be the same, providing it's the same gear etc. There is no soul in it.

THE SOUND has the SOUL.
Quote by Invictious

Amp affects most IMGO.

You are entirley wrong. Tone is in the fingers and comes from the player, the amp gear and guitar affects the sound. If Hendrix picked up your guitar and your gear he would still sound just like himself. It in the fingers bitch.
Quote by Dyne
You are entirley wrong. Tone is in the fingers and comes from the player, the amp gear and guitar affects the sound. If Hendrix picked up your guitar and your gear he would still sound just like himself. It in the fingers bitch.

Yeah but he would sound a hell lot better with his strat and marshall stack(s)

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

Quote by Dyne

The music is the sound and tone.

Look, you are wrong here. Tone is what the sound sounds like, get that part? Hendrix will sound like Hendrix with my shit guitar, but he still won't have the tone that he always had.

Get this through, sound is from humans, tone is from gear.
Quote by Invictious
The music is the sound and tone.

Look, you are wrong here. Tone is what the sound sounds like, get that part? Hendrix will sound like Hendrix with my shit guitar, but he still won't have the tone that he always had.

Get this through, sound is from humans, tone is from gear.

I completely agree with your point. For example, if Hendrix picked up an acoustic or an Ibanez packed with EMGs played through a Boogie Triple Recto, his TONE would be different, but his phrasing, sense of rhythm, and everything else would still make him SOUND like himself. Tone is NOT in the fingers. No matter how Stevie Ray Vaughan played his Fender Strat through Fender amps, he would never get the tone of a shredder.
Hi, I'm Peter
The TONE of a guitar is like a person's VOICE
The SOUND of the player is like the person's LANGUAGE and PRONOUNCIATION

Ok, that was a bad example.

Everyone has their own way of doing somethign. That's what makes them unique. The way Zakk Wylde plays hamonics, for example, is different to the way Paul Gilbert does. They'll use the technique differently, too.

I think people should use the term "Technique" instead of "Sound", cos it gets confusing.

So if Jimi Hendrix were to play an Ibanez through a Triple Rectifier, he wouldn't have the same tone, but you'd recognise his technique.

I hope that made sense
What's the most important factor with the sound of an electric guitar? Ever gone to a big stadium gig? or to illustrate the point even better, arrived late for a stadium gig and heard the support band while you were outside the arena? Think about it, you're out in the carpark, 300 yards away from stage, and you can still hear every note of the guitar pretty clearly right? That aint the resonance of the body you're hearing, that's a powerful head running into a massive PA. It's all about amplification.

You still need a good signal from the guitar, and someone playing it competantly, but it's your amp which actually makes the noise.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Dirk Gently
I completely agree with your point. For example, if Hendrix picked up an acoustic or an Ibanez packed with EMGs played through a Boogie Triple Recto, his TONE would be different, but his phrasing, sense of rhythm, and everything else would still make him SOUND like himself. Tone is NOT in the fingers. No matter how Stevie Ray Vaughan played his Fender Strat through Fender amps, he would never get the tone of a shredder.

w00t, dirk agreed.
*opens champagne and gets arrested for underage drinking*

Exactly, if Herman Li played through a Line6 SpiderII, you will still recognize that 'hey, that SOUNDS like Herman Li playing, you hear that pacman noise and F-14 shoot-the-bloody-russian noises? what's up with his guitar that? sounds so crappy!'