I've been shopping for my first electric, and long story short, have begun looking into semi-hollowbodies. I was in a guitar place yesterday, and they showed me the Yamaha SA500 for $279 CDN.

I've since looked up reviews, and the ones that I can find (none on this site) are almost glowing...everybody seems to say that it's the best for the price, as good as a Gibson (which I find hard to believe). I've only seem on review that said something bad; said the intonation was wrong and the nut broke. But it comes with a limited warrenty, and you can change the intonation of each string individually, so I don't think that would be a problem.

Thing is, this was the last in the store, it might be gone soon, so I don't want to pass it up. I also don't want to end up buying a lemon because of a few good reviews from people who maybe don't know any better. Has anyone played/owned this guitar? Think it might be good for a beginner like myself?
(I've been playing for six months, so an entry level guitar would be fine, but I would like to make an investment in something I'll own for years, not months.)

If it helps, I play mostly blues, country, classic rock...and my own stuff which is kind of inbetween it all...
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
iv read a review in a guitar magazine about that and they said it was great too.
it should be an amazing instrument for a beginner.

i already own a few guitars but i was thinkin of gettin that at one myself recently.

since its your first electric just try it in the shop and if you like how it plays then go for it.if eventually you dont like the sound of the guitar you could always replace the pickups and then youd sure have a keeper of a guitar.

i havent played it bear in mind,but id say go for it.it seems to be a great guitar for the money.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Thanks...I did a lot of research this morning online, and can't find anyone who doesn't like it. I'm new to electric, so as you say, I'm not going to have to worry too much about the tone for now. I've asked them to put it on hold for me until I can get there tonight...can't wait!
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.