I've always read and hear that learning to get good speed with your left hand is key to good soloing, But what about the right hand?

I mean I'm reallly fastr with my left hand, soloing isnt such a big issue for my left. LIke if i have lots and lots of gain on my amp, and using only my left hand to hamer every string i can play reall fast. Thing is
with my right hand its a different story, I cant pick very fast, So im wondering. How can i improve my picking speed?

Dont tell me just to practice, cause it doesnt seem to be workign al lthat well..

Thanks
Quote by Jirair

Dont tell me just to practice, cause it doesnt seem to be workign al lthat well..

well then you havent been practicing long or hard enough.

well make sure you're atleast alternate picking for 1, and preferably economy picking.

and 2 im telling you to practice. I know, I know, you said not to tell you that, but im a bit hard of hearing some days. It's called selective deafness, its where I ignore wrong stuff.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
try something simple, like alt picking some runs, and just try to build up speed.
keep your picking strictly alternate, and dont speed up until you're picking each note cleanly at whatever speed you're at.
keep pushing yourself. get to a speed that you have difficulty at, keep playing your run over n over, until you can pick it cleanly, then push yourself further.
the simpler the better, maybe something like
G|-10-11-13-|
I built my speed with picking by picking every note of Thunderstruck. It is only on string you are picking so that should work on speed without over complicating everything. And just do it till it is comfortable.
Quote by dnjoe
well then you havent been practicing long or hard enough.

well make sure you're atleast alternate picking for 1, and preferably economy picking.

and 2 im telling you to practice. I know, I know, you said not to tell you that, but im a bit hard of hearing some days. It's called selective deafness, its where I ignore wrong stuff.

Dude, he's not saying he doesn't want to practice, he's saying don't just tell him to "practice."

How is it helpful to say to someone "practice!" Practice what? Maybe offer advise on what to practice specifically. "Practice" is the laziest, least thoughtout and most common answer on these boards. That's why people get sick of hearing it.

To the threadstarter,

Spend some time working on strict up-picking. Maybe 10-15 minutes a day up-picking strings at a pace you can comfortably play. Your alternate picking is only as fast as your upstroke and your upstroke is usually a lot slower than your downstroke.

Also, work on inside picking. Jump between two strings while only picking them from the inside (not raising your pick over the string and then back down on it to pick). Inside picking is tricky and I found I rarely did it until I started this routine.

Practice scale sequences -- play a Minor scale in 3 note sequences. Just something where you can alternate pick for several minutes at a time.

Try to slowly pick through uncommon or uncomfortable motions, such as string skipping and syncopated rhythms. It will make the more common picking styles that much easier.

It just takes awhile. My right hand falls apart at fast tempos and I've been working through a DVD called hands of steel to correct this problem. I am using the exercises above (going VERY SLOWLY) and I have already seen improvement in a couple of weeks. I don't practice any of these fast, but the speed is starting to come through in my playing. Not because I've practiced the speed, but because I have practiced the motions slowly enough that I don't have to think so hard to play something.