Well, over the duration of my ever-so-recent 45-day ban, I have been devoting my entire heart and soul (or time and effort, for a less dramatic approach) to writing songs and planning one hell of an album. Spending hours simply perplexing myself over track order, spending entire nights trying to come up with the best lyrical themes for songs, and slaving away for weeks trying to compose the most jaw-dropping riffs, solos, etc.

What does all of that have to do with this thread?

Not much really. At least, not directly.

See, in the midst of all this creative brainstorm, I realized:

“What the fuck? I never even properly released all the other music I’ve been recording over the past two years!”

And thus, I took all of what I considered the best material of my two years’ worth of writing and recording (thanks largely to the feedback and criticisms of the Riffs & Recordings populace) and I arranged my first ever full-length album

Things to remember:

1. I’m poor, and thus my recording equipment sucks. Please excuse the crappy quality that is ever so inherent of my $99 electric guitar :-/
2. I’m quite the musical loner. Aka, I’m a one-man band with the talent of half a musician.

That said, here’s the album:

http://wallofskin.dmusic.com/music/

Just one word of caution – the album varies greatly in terms of genre and style; don't let the first two tracks define the rest of the album for you - I actually placed those two there just to get the "light" stuff out of the way.

Anyways, this thread actually serves a practical use other than just advertising my mediocre musical efforts. See, I plan on using some of these old songs in the new album – in one of three ways:

1. Completely re-writing a song and re-recording it.
2. Slightly re-writing a song and then re-recording it.
3. Making some changes to the pre-existing recording.
4. Keeping the recording exactly as it is.

In particular, I plan on reincarnating Something With Heart exactly as it is, The Stranger exactly as it is, My Lai (it’s already been completely re-written), Nanking with a little change at the end, and possibly Revan (probably not though).

So, I’d appreciate feedback on those songs in particular.

But, overall, I’m just interested in what you have to say about the music and the songs themselves. In fact, I’ll even crit-for-crit, up to owing you 12 crits in all, provided you were to give feedback on each of the album’s songs

Anyways, enjoy. And sorry for the long post; I just felt like a lot to say. Hopefully it didn’t heighten your expectations of the music or anything :-/

(Oh, and I’d be more-than-willing to share any of the album’s lyrics or tabs if any are requested.)

____

Btw, to the mods: I'm not completely sure whether it's all right to post a whole album in the Riffs & Recordings section. I searched around, and I found several threads in this forum with full albums (link 1 link 2 link 3 link 4 ) so I assumed it would be all right. If it's not all right, and this thread needs to be closed (and perhaps moved to the "Promote Your Band" section), I understand.
Something with Heart: Based on the title your vocals aren't very heartfelt. They're very shakey and it seems like you're unsure of the notes. The guitar seems bland but not bad. I think it could sound a little better with some sort of a backing riff? I did love the synth in the background and the electric guitar and when the drums kicked in. Though it seemed the riff was off a tad at some parts.

The Stranger: This song is pretty cool. It's obviously not my style but I'm impressed with it and it was much more entertaining and showed more skill than the last song. The music fits perfectly with the title. The climatic end was good too.

My Lai: I have to admit the effects were interesting. The piano seems off with the guitar a tad. Not a lot but yeah. I don't like your voice in this song but I don't thing my opinion on vocals is validd since I listen to emo lololzlol.

Nanking: I absolutely love the beginning of this both guitar and background noise. It sooths so much. The backwards guitar was pretty interesting though I think you need to sync it more. I think if you could somehow get it in harmony and sync with the other guitar riff it'd be pretty. The guitar seems a little bland in tone in this one and the playing seems robotic try to keep smooth with your playing. Possibly add a bit of reverb to it to bring it out. The rhythm guitars tone better but you're also playing deeper notes. The end gave it a nice feel. Kind of weird to end the album but yeah.

Revan: I like this song. It gives me kind of a Brand New (The new album) feel. And I like that. The distortion works well. Personally I didn't like the end because I don't think it fits well with the beginning at all but it wasn't bad.

Overall I was pretty impressed. Most people don't get to write albums so it's cool that you're doing it. I agree that all the songs carry a different tone and style and that makes your music unique and enjoyable.

As for posting the whole album, it's fine for me as you're expecting crits for the songs. But I'm not a mod for this forum anymore :P
The Bubble: your vocals remind me of conor oberst. seriously. not a bad song, seems a bit odd in places (doesn't flow??) and the solo'y kind of thing doesn't really take my fancy. but it is a nice song regardless.

Annhilasian: how do you pronounce that?! annihil-asian? lol. anyway, the changes between parts are a bit sudden. i know some people like it, but it makes my head hurt. if you made the end of one ring out slightly it would be alright but i'm being picky. and were you rubbing a mic near the end? like the reverse effect though.

revan: reminds me of opeth. suprisingly. when the distorted guitar comes in its a bit harsh. but then it really, really starts to sound like Muse, with the sustained guitar. sounds alright, the ending is a bit, dodgy. but still, i like it.

kieu: the guitars out of synch sometimes in the intro. or is it meant to be like that? a bit less reverb on the drums would be nice, and the bass drum needs less treble. if that can be done. a bit more upbeat though. kinda reminds me somewhat of the arcade fire. except the solo, the drums get really, really quiet then. might be my headphones though.

i'll crit the rest later, i have work to do but it sound alright overall. a few synch problems with some songs, and the levels need a bit of work, but its not bad at all.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Im not a big fan of your lyrical style, BUT i love the guitar sound. And the effects you have and good. Im not good at being a crit so sorry.
*response time*

First off, thank all of you for giving me the invaluable feedback. I appreciate it from the bottom heart, complete with the arteries, ventricles, and all that good stuff!

FatKidsOnMopeds</3: Thanks for being so thorough. You've given me a ton of useful insight in regards to how I should treat these songs as I rewrite them. The comparison of "Revan" to Brand New was unexpected, but interesting =D

IndieMetalhead: Interesting vocal comparison. I've actually only heard one Bright Eyes song, so...yeah. And yup, you pronounced Annhilasian right. They're everywhere here in Irvine! Heh...

WrongWay: Odd that you like the guitar sound, considering how crappy my equipment is. Do you mean either acoustic or electric, in particular?
^ Thanks, but which song?

Oh, and I already critted that song; looks like you were just returning my c4c =D
Quote by FretZippy21
I'm talking about Something With Heart. And I was critting you as you were critting me I guess, silly
Ah, heh.

Anyways, as for effects and recording gear:

Effects: None, but the second half of the solo is just the first part reversed.

Recording gear: An old acoustic guitar I found in my grandma's house, a $99 no-name electric guitar ordered online from China, and Audacity
The Bubble: Sorry man, wasn't really digging this one very much. It was sort of bland. The lyrics were pretty good, and seemed to have some substance behing them. Maybe you should consider puting these lyrics in the lyric section of this forum.

Something with Heart: The vocals sound kind of shaky, lyrics are pretty good, but the song could get alot more justice if you had a better singer. Although, the chord progression, it sounds like a mixture of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" and that Howie Day song "Collide".

The Stranger: The intro = BITCHIN! This is effing sweet. I like it alot. It sounds a little classical, but the musicianship was great. Really great. I liked the lack of vocals.

So, overall... this sounded alright. I just wanted to give props to my Audacity brothers and sisters out there. It is by far the best free audio sequencing program out there. I liked the stranger alot, something with heart was good too, although, i was not a big fan of the bubble. But anyway... 6/10

p.s. thanks for your crit
hey i critted you before... how did you get banned?

revan - i dug this one from the beginning. i wasn't expecting the end but it was good. ya kinda is like brand new brand new.

kieu - hmm reminds me of pinkerton weezer. it's pretty good, but try making the vocals louder in the chorus? it sounds like you're in a beer bottle haha. solo was ok. i dunno i kinda wanted it to pick up more. i know it did with the drums and stuff but just a bit more intense?

irvine - it's like an old play changing acts. (i thought of shakespeare but i'm bad at literature. must be the scale you were using). i can see it fitting in an album as a transition but i'm not sure b/w which songs it should be in.

glad - it was just ok, but needs work. there's potential lbut work on the strumming and tempo, vocals are off in places. the lyrics i didn't like too much, kinda boring and cliche. i did like the simplicity of i'll leave, i'm not sad i'm glad. maybe try incorporating a minimalist kinda feel into the rest of the song? but it ends well enough, i thought mandolin but it's probably not.

the stranger - again a nice build up but what it was building up to didn't seem long enough. i was expecting some shredding haha.

my lai - no guitar solos or unexpected blasts. and i liked it. probably my favourite out of the tracks with vocals.

nanking - i enjoyed this one a lot. like the whole arrangement of the melodies, background stuff and guitar parts. work on the strumming around the middle though so those parts stay intense. my favourite part was probably that and after at 3:00 ish but i wish the second guitar was louder. and you composed this by yourself? that's pretty impressive i think. and it ends well too.

dude i think you owe me a hamburger and some beers now. well not all the songs i enjoyed but i think you've got enough good material for an ep maybe?
Quote by somewhat_here
hey i critted you before... how did you get banned?
The UG mod team found out I have Al Qaeda connections

Quote by somewhat_here
the stranger - again a nice build up but what it was building up to didn't seem long enough. i was expecting some shredding haha.
I wish
hey man, listend through alot of this quickly and the general vibe was excellent. the names, order of the songs work well together, and as for the songs themselves;

The Bubble - caught my attention right away. wells tructured and just a generally enjoyable song

The Stranger - excelelnt muscianship. loved this

those two wer my favs but the whole album was really very strong, if a little raw in parts

www.freewebs.com/silentproject
Pretty good album you have there, "Mimi" I found particulary good, while "The Bubble" I found to be...well, not gonna sugar coat it, crap and a lousy opener.

I wouldn't put that "Bliss" cover on it, for obvious reasons, and you could probably stand to remover "Irvine" although it is a good little interlude, it doesn't help the flow of the album at all.

The guitar on Glad seems a bit out of tune and of crappy quality recorded I think.

The rest of the tracks were pretty good.

I also know how hard it is to record an album, I'm currently in the middle of recording too. Only have 2 tracks out of ten done, but what the hell.

Anyways, for your equipment and that, I'll just not bother affecting the final score, so this is on song quality and flow.

6/10. Decent effort, if not a bit rushed at times.

(Also sorry about the late crit, but I was banned when first seen this and only just remembered anfter seeing you post in the pit )
the song writing is pretty awesome man, reminds me of an ayreon album or something. But u really need to get a band together and probably a singer, sorry, but i didnt like the vocals, they wernt that great compared to the instrumental.

But if this was all recorded properly with a full band it would be a cpretty decent album fella, nice one.
Quote by gallagher2006
(Also sorry about the late crit, but I was banned when first seen this and only just remembered anfter seeing you post in the pit )
Lol, being banned sucks

And good luck on your album

Quote by lmweed20
the song writing is pretty awesome man, reminds me of an ayreon album or something. But u really need to get a band together and probably a singer, sorry, but i didnt like the vocals, they wernt that great compared to the instrumental.

But if this was all recorded properly with a full band it would be a cpretty decent album fella, nice one.
Yeah, I've been trying FOREVER to find a vocalist! Alas, no one seems interested
lovin this gonna dl this later and listen to it more!

Ababil

btw I also have a free album out ha ha ha... check it out! it's in the siggy ha ha...
Hi! Are you a home studio recordist in need mixing and/or mastering?

Want a FREE mix consultation?

CONTACT ME!

Quote by yawn
Lol, being banned sucks

And good luck on your album

Yeah, I've been trying FOREVER to find a vocalist! Alas, no one seems interested

cheers! What were you banned for anyways?

Also, don't worry about your vox, just sing a bit clearer and a bit further from the mic and they'll sounds great
Quote by gallagher2006
cheers! What were you banned for anyways?

Also, don't worry about your vox, just sing a bit clearer and a bit further from the mic and they'll sounds great
Pfft, didn't you read post #13?

Actually, it's cause I posted in two spam threads

Anyways, I'll try singing further from the mic; hope that works =D

Quote by Ababil_Albarn
lovin this gonna dl this later and listen to it more!

Ababil

btw I also have a free album out ha ha ha... check it out! it's in the siggy ha ha...
Coolio, I'll be sure to give it a listen
Quote by yawn
Pfft, didn't you read post #13?

Actually, it's cause I posted in two spam threads

Anyways, I'll try singing further from the mic; hope that works =D

Coolio, I'll be sure to give it a listen

Did you know they were spam threads? If so, SILLY BOY!!!

Anyways, if u get around to re-recording this like u said in the original post, can ya give me a PM please? I fancy hearing this progress
Quote by gallagher2006
Did you know they were spam threads? If so, SILLY BOY!!!

Anyways, if u get around to re-recording this like u said in the original post, can ya give me a PM please? I fancy hearing this progress
Well, I always knew you you could get warned for making a spam thread, but I never knew you could get warned for posting in one even before it was reported

Anyways, as of now I'm just writing and rewriting all the material. I'm going to hold off recording until I get better recording equipment, because recording music that will have crappy sound quality no matter what just seems kind of futile to me...

So, until then, I'll just keep on writing the perfect album until one day I'll finally able to record it all =D
Oh, I was looking for this, but I just realized that I could've found it by searching what threads yawn makes.

I'm not too keen on vocals, but sometimes it sounds like you are holding back.

Something with Heart: The chords are great sounding. The solo comes in. Man, that kicks ass I like how the drums pick up as you repeat a phrasing in the solo. I liked how you ended this. I didn't like the tone too much, but it's good for a $99 guitar.

Annhilasian: I like the guitar here. It fits well with the somewhat spoken vocals. Asian gals are taking over the world, eh? This sounds like you sang with your mouth a bit too close to the mic. Hmm, blowing into a microphone and reversed tracks. Pretty cool. You sounded a bit shaky in that last part though.

The Stranger: Mmm...tastey. Perfect title for the song, in my opinion. The drums are kicking in. Wow. Nice ending. Dramatic and full to my ears.

Glad: I liked the vocals for the most part here. The electric guitar is coming in. The notes fit really well with the rhythm here. *Song ends*

Mimi: Intro is good. Very calming. I can't really hear the vocals too well in this song, but I like the vocal melody. Nice playing on the keyboard. That part fits very well. Now the electric guitar just came in. I didn't like the lead on Mimi as much as the other songs though.

Overall so far, I like it. Very calming and the keyboards add a lot to some songs.

That's all for now. Sorry the songs are out of order, but I tried to skip around a bit. I'll try to crit all the songs when I have the time. Can I PM you when I edit this post with some more crits?

If you have the time, can you crit mine? Link in the sig.
^ Thanks for the thorough feedback

Btw, to anyone who may crit this in the future, at this point I'm mainly just interested in feedback on Kieu and My Lai. At this point I've already got a very solid idea of what I need to do with the other songs.