I've been looking for a cab for a little while and I geuss i've sort of just been going around trying to find ones with the correct wattage for my head. I really don't know anything about them and I figured I probably should learn a little bit before I invest in one. So I have a few questions....

1. Does the material that the enclosure is made of matter at all?

2. If I match a 120w head with a 120w cab, if I ever turn it up full could the speakers blow? What should you match with a 120w head?

3. When it comes to speakers, what are the best and what should you stay away from? I always hear talk of Celestions but they make many different kinds.

4. Is it tough/worth it to just build your own cab?

Those are just some things i'd like to know, now if you could help me find the amp that's right for me. I'll just lay it out so it's easy to read.

Budget: $600 (Canadian, could stretch a bit)
Head: Peavey Ultra Plus (120w, all-tube)
Guitar: LTD MH-400 w/EMG's
Tone: I'm looking for a metal (hardcore/death metal) tone. I would like some jazzy cleans but I can do without.

The dealers in my area mostly carry Marshall, Traynor, Laney, Orange, Peavey, Fender and Line 6.
1) the enclosure might affect your tone. The construction of the cab will affect it, too.

2) it's always better to have cabs with a higher rating than your amp. Tube amps especially reach peak levels far above their rated wattage. I'd say you take a 200 watt cab. They're easy to find.

3) Celestion and Eminence roxxorz my boxxorz. They're the most famous. I haven't really tried many speakers, though

4) there's a thread on this in "Gear Building and Customising"

Marshall's AVT series cab is a relatively small, 200 watt 4x12. Try that out. It would be most logical to get a Peavey. I'm sure they have appropriate cabs.
Quote by YYZ
I've been looking for a cab for a little while and I geuss i've sort of just been going around trying to find ones with the correct wattage for my head. I really don't know anything about them and I figured I probably should learn a little bit before I invest in one. So I have a few questions....

1. Does the material that the enclosure is made of matter at all?

2. If I match a 120w head with a 120w cab, if I ever turn it up full could the speakers blow? What should you match with a 120w head?

3. When it comes to speakers, what are the best and what should you stay away from? I always hear talk of Celestions but they make many different kinds.

4. Is it tough/worth it to just build your own cab?

Those are just some things i'd like to know, now if you could help me find the amp that's right for me. I'll just lay it out so it's easy to read.

Budget: $600 (Canadian, could stretch a bit)
Head: Peavey Ultra Plus (120w, all-tube)
Guitar: LTD MH-400 w/EMG's
Tone: I'm looking for a metal (hardcore/death metal) tone. I would like some jazzy cleans but I can do without.

The dealers in my area mostly carry Marshall, Traynor, Laney, Orange, Peavey, Fender and Line 6.

1. The material used matters a whole bunch. Then, crappy particle board will sound like crap. But heavy well glued material makes the sound thicker, project better, and compliments low end.
2. It should be safe to match 120watts to 120watts. I mean. When will you ever need to max out a 120watt head? lol
3. My favorite speakers are Celestion V30s. But Eminence makes nice speakers too.
4. I have always told people to NOT build their own cab. It doesnt cost any less than just buying one.

Since youre budget fits a Marshall 1960A cab...I would suggest one of those. You really cant go wrong with one no matter what kind of music you play.
1960's are to expensive. About $900, that's what I was looking at originally but their to much. If I found one used i'd probably buy it though.
^ Go used. You can get them dirt cheap. Like...Ive seen some in pawn shopped and on Craigslist for like 400-500USD.
I would highly recommend a Genz-Benz G-Flex 2x12; I got one for $350 USD used off eBay. Extremely thick, tight low end, and excellent projection. Probably the most 4x12-sounding 2x12 on the market (it's intended to be with it's porting) without the weight or size. It's mainly designed for metal, but very versatile; most cabs won't really limit you to one style, or at least not as much as a head might. I guess you could get the 4x12, but that would be one heavy mofo; the 2x12 is 62 lbs. New the 2x12 is $560 + shipping and the 4x12 is $1000.