#1
ok, so saturday afternoon i went into the bathroom for a shower. i emptied the pockets of my pants (which included my cell phone) and set it all on the desk. so, i get my shower and after im done, i get out and i pick up my cell to check for any txts or calls. my hands were still wet. being the dumbass i am, i looked on back of the the phone and saw the golden battery things. dunno what theyre called but supposedly if you touch em when your fingers are wet they'll shock you. SOOO...not thinking, i touched em with my wet fingers. 1 finger on each one and it shorted the phone badly but i felt nothing at all...

was i supposed to get shocked or not?
#2
i think the mains socket generally works best. like that kid who wanted to be a teletubby and stuck a coathanger on his head and his finger into the mains.


seriously though, i hope your phone was ok. poor little thing.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
#5
Quote by esther_mouse
i think the mains socket generally works best. like that kid who wanted to be a teletubby and stuck a coathanger on his head and his finger into the mains.


seriously though, i hope your phone was ok. poor little thing.


haha it works alright...it took it a day to stop telling me that it was overheating. i am getting a new phone though. i should try the main socket. that would be fun.......
#6
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Phone battery isn't powerful enough to shock you. But current did run through you.

just his hand. if it got through his hand.
Save a drum, Bang a drummer!


Quote by Dragatear
You guys are REALLY strict. Worse than neopets.


Quote by Tyler Wright
cokesodanotdrug, your a bitch.
#7
Try it, and post pics.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
#9
Glass of warm water. Add copious amounts of salt. Drop the battery in.

See what happens.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
#10
Quote by Guitardude19
Glass of warm water. Add copious amounts of salt. Drop the battery in.

See what happens.



...what does happen? i feel ignorant for not knowing...

and tbh, i reckon if that little bastard in jurassic park can hold onto a 10 000 V electric fence, you should be fiiine with piss-weak 240 V mains.

have fun!


esther_mouse does not condone any of the activites described above and cannot be held responsible for any disastrous consequences.

edit: my mistake, mains was changed to 230 V a little while ago, to save the electricity companies money or something.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
#13
Quote by Hells_Bell
Yeah how did he survive that?^


simple answer: it's a film.

i wanna know how none of them got eaten by scene three.

and how in the third movie that 12 year old survived eight weeks next to a load of velociraptors whereas everyone else was being savaged and mauled.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
#15
Quote by esther_mouse
simple answer: it's a film.

i wanna know how none of them got eaten by scene three.

and how in the third movie that 12 year old survived eight weeks next to a load of velociraptors whereas everyone else was being savaged and mauled.

Because he read books.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
#16
Quote by esther_mouse
...what does happen? i feel ignorant for not knowing...

and tbh, i reckon if that little bastard in jurassic park can hold onto a 10 000 V electric fence, you should be fiiine with piss-weak 240 V mains.

have fun!


esther_mouse does not condone any of the activites described aboce and cannot be held responsible for any disastrous consequences.


Ok I ll spoil the fun and hopefully not hospitalise the threadstarter.

The salt dissolves in water forming the ions Na+ and Cl- (if you use common table salt which is mostly NaCl). These ions will be attracted to a potential difference so the battery will give or take electrons from the ions. Also the water contains H+ and OH- ions.

Since the Cl- ion is in larger concentrations than the OH- ion it is preferentially discharged at the battery terminal. The same is not true with H+. It maybe in lower concentrations however, it moves faster through solution than the bulky Na+ and is preferentially discharged.

The remaining solution is caustic soda or NaOH and is highly corrosive to skin and metals. The gases given off are Cl2 and H2, of which Cl2 is corrosive to lung tissue and if breathed in, can kill if you leave it in an unventilated room for long periods of time. All you see is fine bubbles forming at the battery terminal so if you didnt know that, you could be well.... in a bit of bother in a few hours. (Unless you spill the solution).

Im sure there was a shorter way of saying all that. Oh well.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
#17
Quote by esther_mouse
simple answer: it's a film.

i wanna know how none of them got eaten by scene three.

and how in the third movie that 12 year old survived eight weeks next to a load of velociraptors whereas everyone else was being savaged and mauled.


Jurrasic park sucks. I know It's a movie, and I know the plot sucks, but come on, If you get hit by 10,000 volts you die, your chances of staying alive are like 10^-60.
Last edited by Hells_Bell at Jan 9, 2007,
#18
Fuck it, why not be daring and jam a fork into a electrical socket? I mean, hell, go wild, a spork even!
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
#19
Quote by Guitardude19
Ok I ll spoil the fun and hopefully not hospitalise the threadstarter.

The salt dissolves in water forming the ions Na+ and Cl- (if you use common table salt which is mostly NaCl). These ions will be attracted to a potential difference so the battery will give or take electrons from the ions. Also the water contains H+ and OH- ions.

Since the Cl- ion is in larger concentrations than the OH- ion it is preferentially discharged at the battery terminal. The same is not true with H+. It maybe in lower concentrations however, it moves faster through solution than the bulky Na+ and is preferentially discharged.

The remaining solution is caustic soda or NaOH and is highly corrosive to skin and metals. The gases given off are Cl2 and H2, of which Cl2 is corrosive to lung tissue and if breathed in, can kill if you leave it in an unventilated room for long periods of time. All you see is fine bubbles forming at the battery terminal so if you didnt know that, you could be well.... in a bit of bother in a few hours. (Unless you spill the solution).

Im sure there was a shorter way of saying all that. Oh well.



...bearing in mind i haven't done chemistry for two years, electrolysis or something similar?

and that seems like a great plan should i wish to poison anyone anytime soon. thanks

Quote by Dinkydaisy
Because he read books.


yeah, but in the book, ian malcolm writes books, and he dies when the t-rex starts munching on his leg. as does the rich sod who invented jurassic park...the film gets it all wrong
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
#21
Quote by esther_mouse
...bearing in mind i haven't done chemistry for two years, electrolysis or something similar?

and that seems like a great plan should i wish to poison anyone anytime soon. thanks


Yea its electrolysis. Not the best way to poison someone though... You need something undetectable in blood urine and lipids.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
#22
Quote by JamesDouglas
Fuck it, why not be daring and jam a fork into a electrical socket? I mean, hell, go wild, a spork even!



I've never seen a metal spork
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
#23
Quote by meh!
I've never seen a metal spork



you poor man!

...neither have i
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
#25
The fundamental problem with the spork is; I never know whether to utilise it's fork or spoon feature, leaving me hideously confused and violated.

Maybe I'm just not really for such advanced technology...who knows? Not me.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."