Hey guys,

Been playing a year and i can read tabs well. However there is this little problem i have

If a tab lookedd like this

E|-------
B|-------
G|---5---
D|-------
A|---3--
E|-------

i dont know what to play on the D string. Do u play it muted or open or what do u do. I tried missing it out but then it sounded like

E|---------
B|---------
G|-----5--
D|--------
A|---3----
E|---------

what shod i do
The D string should be muted. You should put the index finger (of the C note) in such a way that it mutes the D string.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
you shouldnt play anything if it wa smuted thered be an x its an octave your lookin at just play the notes you see
...you don't play anything on the D string. That's why there's nothing written.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
you could use fingerpicking, which basicly means dont use a pick, just pluck both notes with your fingers. then you can play both notes and not play anything on the D. i sugest using your thumb on the 3 and middle finger on the 5. meanwhile, hold your pick somewhere else with another finger (just watever seems comfortable).

or if there isnt time for all this while playing, just mute the D.
Last edited by stevilkinevil at Jan 9, 2007,
or chicken-picking, hitting the 3 with your pick and picking the 5 with your middle finger
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
or chicken-picking, hitting the 3 with your pick and picking the 5 with your middle finger

cool, i've never heard of that method before.
yeah i'd hybrid pick it, if its meant to be played loudly then i'd squelch the D string as EK stated so that i could hit both strings with the pick
Quote by z4twenny
yeah i'd hybrid pick it, if its meant to be played loudly then i'd squelch the D string as EK stated so that i could hit both strings with the pick

I wouldn't hybrid pick that. It's just a simple octave power chord. super easy. Just mute the D like the first few people said.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
^ depends on how its meant to sound, what if the muted D isn't conducive to the proper sound of the song? 'tallica uses lots of these on load and reload and squelching the string doesn't sound nearly as good as playing it with hybrid picking.