well, i want to be able to shred and play fast/solos and stuff. What do you guys recommend i learn/practice. Like a list of diffrent techniques and exercises i should do? Finger training exercises and stuff.

Thanks
I practice runs like this

|-13-12-10---------------------------------------------|
|--------------12-10-9----------------------------------|
|--------------------------10-9-7------------------------|
|------------------------------------9-7-6----------------|
|-------------------------------------------8-7-5---------|
|---------------------------------------------------8-7-5-|

Its an A harmonic minor run done in 6:4 16th notes. I start at 100 bpm on the metronome. I make up my own exercises but look at and analyse runs from your fav guitarists (mine being malmsteen) and try to understand the runs in order to create your own.

The most important thing with shred is to PRACTICE SLOWLY and GRADUALLY build up speed.

Work on Legato , sweep picking and alternate picking.

I know my post is a bit basic, but I ll give you that A harmonic minor run to get started with. Im not really a pro at these kind of things.

Just givin a bit of help. Hope it helps.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Guitardude19
I practice runs like this

|-13-12-10---------------------------------------------|
|--------------12-10-9----------------------------------|
|--------------------------10-9-7------------------------|
|------------------------------------9-7-6----------------|
|-------------------------------------------8-7-5---------|
|---------------------------------------------------8-7-5-|

Its an A harmonic minor run done in 6:4 16th notes. I start at 100 bpm on the metronome. I make up my own exercises but look at and analyse runs from your fav guitarists (mine being malmsteen) and try to understand the runs in order to create your own.

The most important thing with shred is to PRACTICE SLOWLY and GRADUALLY build up speed.

Work on Legato , sweep picking and alternate picking.

I know my post is a bit basic, but I ll give you that A harmonic minor run to get started with. Im not really a pro at these kind of things.

Just givin a bit of help. Hope it helps.

cool this looks good im gonna try it
look at the lessons section
or get guitar pro 5 and use the lessons-section
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
Quote by insideac
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dkeAVB3DewI

These are the patterns I practice

*Ponders*

Cool, is that you?

I ll try see what youre doing.

Edit: It says his name on the video. One dumbass point for me.
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Jan 9, 2007,
Quote by Ali_Boulala
look at the lessons section
or get guitar pro 5 and use the lessons-section

What lessons section?
Quote by gunsnroses0017
What lessons section?

I assume he means the massive lessons section here in UG.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
Quote by Guitardude19
*Ponders*

Cool, is that you?

I ll try see what youre doing.

Edit: It says his name on the video. One dumbass point for me.

The first one is:

Tremolo picking as fast as I can, and doing 1234 2345 3456 on the string, and back.

Second is 1 2 3 and then next string 1 2 3, economy picking. The third is the 1 2 3 4 exercise
Quote by insideac
The first one is:

Tremolo picking as fast as I can, and doing 1234 2345 3456 on the string, and back.

Second is 1 2 3 and then next string 1 2 3, economy picking. The third is the 1 2 3 4 exercise

Ok sweet thnx.
Quote by insideac
The first one is:

your an amazing guitarists but I hate your tone, too much distortion.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

as well as insideac's chromatics you should play three-notes-per-string scales all over the fretboard.

And vary your chromatics like do 1324 and 1432 and 1324 etc.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
To TS, first I learned exercises from others, which is a great way. But what I find better is making up my own exercises to practice. That way they work better for you. But other exercises are good to learn too.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Get Stetina's Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar. It's the ultimate practice book for building chops.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
try doin 123 goin from 6 to 1 string on fret 123 then do the same descending on 345 and so on,also do it in your octaves say your starting with F in standard tuning go 123 123 then move to your octave at 345 345 on 4 and 3 strings then to your next octave at 678 and 678 on strings 1 and 2 that gets you good at moving around a little bit there just chromatic exercises but if you play them fast they can sound cool and for warm up its great but start with 123 all the way up until you get pretty fast also if you want you can do 123 from 6 to 1 string and then come back using 543 543 from 1 to 6 this is what nick cantenese from BLS teaches his students i think thats how you spell his name im not sure but hey if it works for him and many other then it should work for you