http://rickmeister.dmusic.com

Two different amps on my guitar port, just screwing around so sorry about any playing mistakes. The second amp comes in at 1:10 if you're getting bored. Just wanna know which of the two amps you think is better and how I could improve the EQ (I think I used too much distortion) thanks.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
The first one is better. The second one sounds too fuzzy.

edit: On my guitar, if i just use the bridge pickup it will give me an old metallica "seek & destroy" sound and if i just use my neck pickup it sounds more like "master of puppets". If you're guitar is like mine, it sounds like you're using the bridge pickup. Sorry if that doesn't make any sense, i don't know anything about effects/sounds.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Last edited by metal4all at Jan 9, 2007,
I HATE both of them. They sound weak and girly like Falloutboy distortion.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
I have no idea how these sound weak or girly in any way, I mean you have a Vox Valvetronix... could you elaborate?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
They both sound metallica-ish. Without using the same amp and effects I doubt you'll gain an exact replica of their sound.

You could pass them both imo - nicely done

Please crit mine

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501197 thanks
hemant
use the second one without so much distortion
VAN HALEN - March 13 at the Izod

Quote by xchiefx
What kind of idiot mows the street
Wow, the tone just plain sucked...

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

Not sure on how to improve the EQ, but I personally liked the first tone better. It seemed fatter and closer to the Metallica sound to me. Not sure why that guy above would say it sucked. It was good to me, especially given the fact that you're likely on a budget.

Mind checking out my recording?

http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501719
Thanks for the comments. I was using my Guitar Port which RRP is less than £100, even my Roland Cube 60 is miles better. If anyone can get a Godly tone with a Guitar Port I'd like to hear it. Funny how the comments that are most helpful are the positive ones, the person who said it sucked probably doesn't know what they're talking about - I get a better tone on my Cube than any of the stuff on "randalsmusic" P.S Your impro is waaaay out of key
Will check out the recordings of people who actually helped now, thanks again.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
I use a Vox Valvetronix too. There's only so much the amp can do itself. I got my Metallica tone from my Zoom G2.1u. The amp served as the extra EQ I needed to make it sound perfect.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
your tone really sucks. it simply lacks everything. as for the 2nd one. not much the same.. but the 2nd one is better than the 1st one. id use the 2nd one..

crit4crit?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443854
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

You know I could give you some sweet settings for the toneport, but its my weapon for recording so no....
^^ haha.. the poor guy could really need your help man..
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!

Quote by Armchair Bronco

^^idiots

"The tone sucks and lacks everything"
What the hell kind of comment is that? It's not helpful at all, at least justify your claims if you're going to make them.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
ok.. are you using a cube or a toneport? havent tried both. so my question is can you get a metal tone out of the cube? i mean only the amp distortion? if not, now thats your problem. it lacks that metal tone. if yes, your EQ is not quite set to the metal tone. as for the toneport, maybe your not setting it to the right setting. but again, havent tried both.

now, maybe if you have listened to my cover of sandman, you wont notice that im using a 10watt amp.

now if you could just listen to my cover,
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=443854&page=2&pp=20
youll see what i mean..

and crit please...
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!

Quote by Armchair Bronco

^^idiots

Last edited by mothership at Jan 12, 2007,
Quote by rickmeister
Thanks for the comments. I was using my Guitar Port which RRP is less than £100, even my Roland Cube 60 is miles better. If anyone can get a Godly tone with a Guitar Port I'd like to hear it. Funny how the comments that are most helpful are the positive ones, the person who said it sucked probably doesn't know what they're talking about - I get a better tone on my Cube than any of the stuff on "randalsmusic" P.S Your impro is waaaay out of key

Yeah my improve is out of key...I'll admit. I suck at improv. But your tone is flat and thin and shitty. Mine at least has some balls. It's called a tube amp you idiot. Go **** your soild state piece of shit. If you can't take critcism then don't ask for it. Your tone sucks, I can't even think of what could help it. Maybe if you would stop playing guitar.

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

^^ agree..

Quote by rickmeister
Funny how the comments that are most helpful are the positive ones, the person who said it sucked probably doesn't know what they're talking about

you think positive comments are helpful because you cant take negative comments. your tone sucks and you dont know how to record properly.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!

Quote by Armchair Bronco

^^idiots

Ummmm morons, I recorded using my GUITARPORT I don't have a microphone to record with my Roland Cube. Naturally an £80 piece of kit isn't going to sound the same as a tube amp
And pullmeunder, if you don't know any scales and can't improv why the hell are you playing guitar, let alone in possession of a Gibson and an Epiphone?
The difference between constructive criticism and random crap that's helpful to noone: constructive implies that you offer a method of improving what's being asked, random crap is just as bad as a flame e.g YOUR TONE SUCKS LOLZ I CAN SHRED LOOK AT ME AND MY $1000 GUITAR AND AMP.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
Quote by rickmeister
Ummmm morons, I recorded using my GUITARPORT I don't have a microphone to record with my Roland Cube. Naturally an £80 piece of kit isn't going to sound the same as a tube amp
And pullmeunder, if you don't know any scales and can't improv why the hell are you playing guitar, let alone in possession of a Gibson and an Epiphone?
The difference between constructive criticism and random crap that's helpful to noone: constructive implies that you offer a method of improving what's being asked, random crap is just as bad as a flame e.g YOUR TONE SUCKS LOLZ I CAN SHRED LOOK AT ME AND MY $1000 GUITAR AND AMP.

...because I like to play? Scales aren't all to guitar. If you play guitar so shitty and can't make good tone, why are YOU playing guitar. And you're an idiot. Nobody was flaming you, if someone say's "your tone sucks" it means your tone ****ing sucks, you moron. And your playing is terrible. The shit I did with the amp demos was only to show what the amp sounded like, not to show how I play. If I wanted to, I would record something to showcase my playing. But I'd rather not. Because I'd rather let people know what the amp sounds like. So **** you, and your tone port. Nobody cares, go fill up your bathtub with water, lie face down, and inhale. NOW, I'm flaming you, ****ing noob.

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

pullmeunder, i'm pretty sure this whole forum is for critiquing peoples work and giving them advice on how to make it better. Just saying "your tone sucks" does no good to anyone. If you aren't gonna say anything helpful, don't say it at all.

...and will you all stop fighting, please.

btw (even though i already posted) the second tone would be a lot better without all the distortion but also, if you're gonna do a cover, you can make the distortion how ever you want to add your own flavor to the song. be creative.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
^^That was a poor attempt at a flame because your basing my playing on the tone of my GuitarPort. I get a perfectly good tone from my Cube which I use but can't record with, a nicer tone than what you recorded. Scales aren't all to playing guitar? That's what Dave Mustaine said. If nobody cares then why do you keep coming here using the same argument that I need to die because I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on recording equipment and amps. Money's not going to buy you talent.
Also you finished your argument by calling me a "****ing noob". Did you not feel remotely embarrassed after you posted that? Obviously the concept of embarassment passes you by completely... nice picture on your music page by the way!
I never accused anyone of flaming to begin with, I just think it's moronic when someone goes into a thread and say "THIS SUCKS" without any suggestion of how to improve it.
The general consensus is that the second tone was better and needs less distortion. Now, let's keep things back on topic. If you've got something you want to say to me then PM it - lets keep the forum clean from people like you venting their frustration out during 'that time of the month'
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
well honestly I didn't like either tone too much. they both sound very 'old school-digital' and fuzzy, which I happen to not care for. although if I had to choose I would say the second one, because the first is too muddy whereas the second is much brighter and would cut through a mix a little better. I would also roll back the gain and try to cut down on the fuzzyness.
I really couldnt stand either of them. First one was a little better, it just sounds really digital. The second one sounded extremely thin, had too much gain, and was also digital. It lacked the balls needed for a Metallica tone. If I were you, I would go out and buy a $20 microphone, and use your cube.
Thanks for the advice. I am sure that good tones can be gained from a GuitarPort but I've not used it enough to know what amp model, stack and settings I should be using not to mention I have a dated sound card. Anyone here with Guitar Port experience? Would like to hear how they manage.
Buying a mic sounds like a good idea
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Roland Cube 60
Don't buy a 20 dollar mic, though. Get a shure sm-57. They go for about one hundred US dollars. Every musician should have one and you'll always be able to use it for SOMETHING, whether it's micing guitar amps, vocals, drums, whatever. There's a reason why every studio in the world has them. They are always useful for something.