Ok here's the deal. I've had this problem for a WHILE, I mean probably over a year. I've tried everything I know, talked to computer techs, some guys on IRC, friends....no one could help. There was one guy who suggested something and I think he's right, but I want a second opinion.

I have a compaq presario desktop. 1.7ghz processor with 512 RAM. A while ago, I'm not sure when, it started to slow down drastically, i mean to the point where it's practically frozen, whenever I had either too many programs open (like a few firefox windows, msn, itunes, and guitar pro for instance) or when I try to open a game or watch a video on youtube.

Now the freezing isnt immediate, everythign will run fine and very smoothly for a while. Then it will do the slowing down thing for like 20-30 seconds, and then go back to normal speed. Then after a few minutes, depending on the programs open, it'll do the slowing down again. etc.

I have formatted my computer numerous times, closed all unnesecary processes, turned off my internet connection....nothing works. One thing which did make a difference is opening up task manager and closing the svchost.exe process. I know there are numerous ones, but I tried shutting down the one which took up the most memory. Once I did that, the slowing decreased significately, however my soundcard no longer works when I do that. I dont really hold this in significance though because the slowing down would probably stop just because that svchot.exe takes up a lot of memory.

Right now, I am convinced that this is a hardware problem, most likely my RAM. I've had a few power surges here, and I think that may have done some damage to the RAM chips. Is this possible? Are there any other possibilities as to why this would happen? ANy solutions?
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

have you tried doing a spyware scan? spyware slows computers down lots.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
Quote by sadistic_monkey
Yeah, I'd say get some more RAM.

And you don't multiple firefox windows... There are tabs...

That's what i meant

Quote by midi pure
have you tried doing a spyware scan? spyware slows computers down lots.

Yea I have, but anyways I formatted my entire HD several times. Still nothing.

I guess I'll just replace my RAM this week.,

definately a RAM problem. or your hard drive is well and truely ****ed.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
You are wrong, it's probably a dusty computer that's causing the slowdowns. Overheating and such. And you say that killing svchost increases performance huh, well install linux and don't worry about svchost.

So, to get a good computer going:
1) Clean computer
2) Install linux

512MB of ram is definitely enough for a desktop PC, and if the memory was faulty the computer wouldn't boot.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Your hard drive may have become corrupt, it happened to me before.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Haha, installing Linux isn't gonna do much for him.

To be honest, it does sound like your RAM chips, provided your PC is well ventilated, you shouldn't be having any heat issues, which would otherwise crash/restart your PC.
Quote by Softmod
Haha, installing Linux isn't gonna do much for him.

It will stop the slowdowns, I can guarantee it.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Provided he learns how to use his PC through a brand new GUI. ?

No point installing Linux until you've done some thorough background knowledge, especially as to the right distro for you.
Quote by Muphin
It will stop the slowdowns, I can guarantee it.

But, then he will have to spend all of his computer time to get linux to work properly.
BOLD.
^Have you considered this might be Hardware related, which it is btw. (to the butt pirate who said to use linux)

You have a corrupted RAM stick.

Just try removing one and running your computer. If it crashes, the one in the computer is corrupted, if it works, then the one you have removed is the corrupted one.

I know i'm right so try it.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Well, if you formatted and reinstalled everything and the problem persists, then it's not software related. Also, it doesn't seem like a RAM problem, RAM problems usually cause unexpected errors and crashed, not slowdowns... might be an IRQ conflict or bads on the harddisk in a frequently used area, i.e. the computer reads from that area, waits for a response (and slows down) then times out and resumes its original routines.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
Well, if you formatted and reinstalled everything and the problem persists, then it's not software related. Also, it doesn't seem like a RAM problem, RAM problems usually cause unexpected errors and crashed, not slowdowns... might be an IRQ conflict or bads on the harddisk in a frequently used area, i.e. the computer reads from that area, waits for a response (and slows down) then times out and resumes its original routines.

Finally someone who understands how it cannot be a ram problem! It's most likely overheating.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by purplegreendave
not ram, i have 64mb and as long as i dont game i can multitask

I'm surprised you can get a browser + a messenger open for a while.
@NovemberRain273

Feel the back bit of your PC, is it extremely hot? Can you smell that "electronic warmth" smell? Can you open your PC and check that the fans inside your CPU are functioning properly?
^64mb? Oh no it can't be ram!

[/sarcasm]
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Yup my fans are working properly.

Hmmm and I havent thought about it being a HD problem. I have two HD's on my PC, one I dont use (because I dont need it) and one I....well use lol. Maybe I should try installing windows on the other one? (im not gonna install linux)

Well it's not that important anymore , my dad just surprised me with a late Christmas present. A new computer! lol it kicks this ones ass. Thanks for all the help though guys

Glad to see you got it going great

For any other PC questions etc, redirect here please

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501772
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

don't even try with that thread, it'll never get off the ground unless a mod stickies it.

as for your problem, if you would like to test your RAM then download and use this:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Don't be so quick to assume its not RAM, I've had bad RAM sticks before and my computer booted fine with no errors.

As for my diagnosis, it could be any number of things. I've had the same problem before and it could pretty much boil down to any piece of hardware you have, including but not limited to power supply and motherboard. I'd rule out most software related issues since you said you formatted a few times and still have the problem, and don't bother with linux, a bad linux install is the same as a bad windows install. People are too quick to jump to using linux as a solution when in reality it really isn't much of one.

I doubt its the HDD, but you can check it for errors using scandisk. Its native to Windows, instructions available at:

http://www.computerhope.com/software/scandisk.htm (yes I used google)

Have you tried removing pieces of hardware and seeing if the problem stops? With a desktop that is always a good place to start imo. Shut down your computer, unplug it, wait 20-30 seconds and pull everything out you don't absolutely need (network cards, sound cards, etc) for the computer to operate. If you have multiple RAM sticks, pull one of them out. Then boot the system up and see if you still have the problem, if you do then you can boil it down to one of the pieces of hardware still in the system (swap RAM sticks if you removed one earlier and see if that stops it). If it stops, then slowly shut down, unplug, etc and start adding hardware in piece by piece until the problem starts again.

Just a warning, do NOT install/remove hardware while the system is on and plugged in. You MUST wait 20-30 seconds after unplugging it before installing or removing hardware or you will get a lightshow inside your box.

EDIT #2: Oh...well grats on the new one
Last edited by LordSephiroth at Jan 10, 2007,