Well I already had blisters on my index, middle and the next finger on my right had from plucking at the strings, and now i can take a hell of a lot of pain before i have to stop. On my freting hand my fingers havent blisterd but the tips are gettin really really sore, i want to keep playing but i spend about 20 minutes fretting, sliding, tapping, hammering and i have to stop coz i feel like the ti[s are gunna explode with the pain, My question to any one who knows is, is there anyway other than to stop being a wimp about it and get on wiv it, to stop them from hurtin as much wen i play, i bin playin the last few days almost non stop (out of uni and no job) and i dont want to stop coz il get bored, any help and il make sure i thank u wiv a big cyber hug ha. cheers people.
Coat your fingertips in superglue. (Hint: just don't touch anything until they are dry.)
this is normal, just stop playing for a day or two and your fingers will heal causing a heavier callous and less pain. happened to me when i started with slap bass and twang.

good luck
untuck your dickk and be a man! or maybe your vagina's getting in the way of you playing?
Quote by cefasnacht
untuck your dickk and be a man! or maybe your vagina's getting in the way of you playing?

Cheers thats sum pretty sound advice, il take it in 2 consideration next time i feel like tucking it away
^(2 up)You, my friend, are a JACKASS! Entirely UNECCESSARY!

Stop playing and wait til you get callous' then continue playing. If you just keep playing the blisters will break and the callous won't come which is no good. You want callous'
I tried soaking my in this shit my mum gave me which is ment to harden fingers and shit. I wasn't too impressed though. And I have just gone blank on the name of the stuff... So pretty useless post really... Will try to remember.
There is nothing "hard" about playing through blisters unless you are headlining Glastonbury and you have no choice but to play on. Stop for a while, relax, and all be good. While you are doing that, you can play with a pick instead and just do some simple chromatics. Part of learning the bass is learning how much pressure you need to apply to the fret. And it's not as much as you think. Use this time to try and refine your technique a little.

But honestly, when you're in pain, just stop.
Quote by Chimpy101
I tried soaking my in this shit my mum gave me which is ment to harden fingers and shit.

could it possibly be clear nail polish? or is it just liquid poo...?
also, have you ever tried it on shit? im not sure if it would harden it, as you claim.
Ok I mean no offence to any of you who have tried to offer your wisdom to me, but i need to point out that i dont actualy have any blisters on my fretting fingers and there the ones that start to hurt after 20 minutes or so of playing, i kinda figured to rest up if i get a blister or use different fingers anyway. But i dont have the blisters and my tips recently have started gettin sore a lot easier.
Quote by littleleo88
could it possibly be clear nail polish? or is it just liquid poo...?
also, have you ever tried it on shit? im not sure if it would harden it, as you claim.

Nah, 'twasn't actual excrement. I do believe it was called Surgical Spirit, so cease your wittiness, it acheives nothing.
^You're the one who used the word 'twasn't so I wouldn't talk.

Ok I see what your problem is... actually I don't. My only advice is keep playing in short time periods. Play until you feel the first amount of hurt take a break and repeat.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^You're the one who used the word 'twasn't so I wouldn't talk.

What is wrong with 'Twasn't?? That is how I talk Don't bully me
keep playing till u can take it no more, then soak ur fingers in warm water for a few minutes. Then towel, and let them rest a few more minutes before resuming practice. U get pretty good callous this way. At least I got mine on acoustic like this, and I was playing on 13s!
Question of the year!!
Quote by Hells_Bell
Would you rather take it in the ass and eat cake, or suck **** and sit on a cake?
Quote by Chimpy101
What is wrong with 'Twasn't?? That is how I talk Don't bully me

Hey I'll bully woever I want :pokes inssecantly: Hmmm British man :continues poking: think you're better than me, oh I'm just a dumb old canadian. hmmmm ids that it :gets in one last poke:
Right, I'm off to slit my wrists now It is all Canada's fault! Damn you and your possibly-the-coolest country in the world

You just might be pressing down on the frets too hard, but I don't know. Try it! (taking some of the pressure off I mean).

Love the Low end
It's like every post contradicts the one above it =P

I'd stop and let some callous build up. Or wrap your fingertips in medical tape until the blisters heal.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
stop playing until ur fingers stop hurting. they will form callouses and be more used to the bass strings
My Gear:

'06 Fender Jazz Bass MIM (black w/Badass II)
'99 Fender P-Bass MIM (midnight blue w/Badass II)
Fender Rumble 60 amp
honestly mate, you just need to take a brake for a day or two... this happens everytime someone begins on a string instrument for your first time... just let it rest and keep at it
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
Quote by mtrilus
Coat your fingertips in superglue. (Hint: just don't touch anything until they are dry.)

i heard somewhere that flea used to do something like that to toughen his fingers

he would coat them in superglue
stick his hand to a table
let it dry then rip his hand off

i dunno if that would work its only a rumour and i haven't tried it i admit i haven't got the bollocks to
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0

he would coat them in superglue
stick his hand to a table
let it dry then rip his hand off

Surely that would just rip the ends of your fingers off, amking matters even worse?
like i said it was a runour that i heard. it would toughen you up a bit though
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Maybe with the help of a a gallon or so of alcohol, but not without the aid of it, or drugs but not with a clear head. I Think on that note il jus put up with the pain
Ok, if you are still building callous, this is normal. Callouses act as a buffer between the tip of your finger and the bone underneath. If you are pushing down hard on the string, your are striking the tip of the bone and jarring it.

Practice in short bursts, rest when it hurts and slowly build up your callouses.
So I guess you're new to this huh. We all went through this. My best tip would be wait until your fingers heal. You seriously don't want to bleed on your strings. Once healed, play with moderation. Once your fingertips start hurting, stop. Once they're fine start again. Within days you won't feel a thing anymore.... until you start slapping and your thumb starts hurting because your skin isn't used to it..
I was told by my instructor (who packs quite a resume) that when my fingertips start getting sore before I lose the strength to fret, that I should switch to short play times (as short as 5-10 minutes) for a day, and the next day attempt to resume my usual play time. From that point, alternate between "burst" sessions and long sessions for 5-6 days, try sliding back into long sessions on a daily basis, and if you get sore too quickly, go back to the alternating days schedule.

This method worked out super for me, though I wasn't overly happy about playing for five to ten minutes at a time.
well first u get a lighter then u carefully VERY carefully scorch ur skin so it doesn't actually hurt you just give a little burn to ur skin and d it every now nd then ...... can end badly tho
I am me. Live with it.
sheesh! its not like the finger is gonna fall off. heal up and the tip willl become hard just like everyone else has been saying and play on
If you haven't got blisters, maybe you've just lightly bruised your fingertips or something?

Just try resting it off for a bit.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
As a person that has just had blisters on the plucking fingers I feel pretty qualified to talk about it.

I got them 3 days before a gig (the gig was on monday) so i was panicing. The blisters were huge! Covered the tips of my index and middle.

Long story short - i popped them and kept them free from infection. On the night I was gonna use a pick but i used my fingers instead, it didnt hurt much but my fingers are now sore.

If you havent got a gig or something in the next week just let nature take its course and rest.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
What was with the 9 month bump?
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.