Hey i know everything you say about plywood is always saying its bad but the danelectro 56 pro made of plywoood isn't it and thats a mighty good guitar so hmmm
I owned a Lado Hawk that was made of plywood, I liked it.

Like everything else, there are different qualities of plywood - there are the kinds that you get at the local home improvement center, and then there are the specialty products like 13 ply Russian Birch. Specialty plywood (hardwoods for example), would actually cost more than a couple of pieces of basswood.

The problem with plywood is the glue that is used when it is pressed together. Instruments require specific types of glue that do not impeed vibrations passing from one piece of wood to the next, and when plywood is made, this is not a factor that they would generally consider. Some plywoods are 20% glue, and others are press/steam joined.

Given that 'good' plywood is expensive, harder on the factories tools and generally requires more finish prep time than some of the more acceptable woods used to make guitar bodies You would have to figure that the designer chose the wood for a specific look or tonal properties. On the other hand, if they used cheap plywood, well that's another story alltogether.

I have had people give me guitar bodies that they had sanded down and thought they were plywood, when in fact they were not. They wood was cut from the tree in such a way that the grain was on the outer edges.

It could be worse, you could have a guitar made out of soft pine.
Quote by Hamm
It could be worse, you could have a guitar made out of soft pine.

actually, that would still resonate more than plywood.

the glue in the plywood is what doesn't resonate- and there's a lot of it, high or low quality. it's a characteristic of plywood.

and tone is completely subjective, just because not everyone likes plywood doesn't mean you can't.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
In a way, the anti-plywood stance is partly tone mojo, and partly wood snobbery.

If you like it, it doesn't matter what it's made from.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
I'm not knocking plywood, read my post.

Soft pine dings, does not hold screws or bridge posts well, so it's not suitable for most guitars.

It is cheaper than plywood, easier on tools and finishes up like butter.
Quote by mrperson
Hey i know everything you say about plywood is always saying its bad but the danelectro 56 pro made of plywoood isn't it and thats a mighty good guitar so hmmm

Ply and Masonite.

Im starting work on a 59DC within the next week.
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
What about MDF, I have never really thought about that stuff....
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
MDF doesn't hold screws well. I hate working with it and the dust is really bad to breathe in too.

Bottom line is you can pretty much build a guitar out of anything. But the things you have to consider are price, looks, availbility, how easy it is to work with and finish, weight and tone.