hi,

i've just been learning these scales for an exam - i realized that they were both the same...is this right? can someone explain why it is that they're called two different things? maybe i've just misread my fretboard or something
Quote by Jarrett Moore + BlinkBlinkBlink
Jarrett Moore; how'd you know i live in canada?
BlinkBlinkBlink; it says location: canada...
Jarrett Moore; oh, ...far out.

http://matthewjago.dmusic.com/ <<Listen to my music here!
they are relative to each other. both have the same key signature and therefore and the same notes. they are essentially the same scale in a diffrent mode. every scale will have one that is exactly the same. but in minor (or major)
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
A minor is the relative minor of C major, so yes, they are the same scale. They have different root notes (A and C, respectfully), and different chords would be played under them which makes them sound different. To get the relative minor of a major scale, you move the root note down 3 frets and play the natural minor scale, starting on the new root note.

Somebody else can probably answer more in-depth. I'm just starting to learn theory, and it's good practice for me to answer other people's questions. =)
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

i dont know much about theory myself, but i remember someone on the forums saying they are not the same, they just happen to have the same notes.
Quote by stevilkinevil
i dont know much about theory myself, but i remember someone on the forums saying they are not the same, they just happen to have the same notes.
Yup.

They contain the exact same notes, but the scales do not start on the same notes, nor are they used in the same situations. A minor has a root of A and is in the key of A minor. C major has a root of C and is in the key of C major.
Quote by stevilkinevil

And they are correct. Besides if they were the same, why would they have different names?

Threadstarter, yes they do have the same notes but sound completely different as they have different intervals.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
thanks for all the answers guys, i guess this is one to ask my teacher about
Quote by Jarrett Moore + BlinkBlinkBlink
Jarrett Moore; how'd you know i live in canada?
BlinkBlinkBlink; it says location: canada...
Jarrett Moore; oh, ...far out.

http://matthewjago.dmusic.com/ <<Listen to my music here!
^Granted you play them correctly...

What I mean is, if you play the Cmajor scale up and down and then the Aminor scale up and down without any means of resolution or any ounce of melody, they'll sound the exact same. Your brain won't really able to distinguish them. But, people don't just run up and down the scales mindlessly, so it's pretty easy to avoid.
Looking for my India/Django.
They are in different keys, have different root notes, different intervals, and completely different backing chords.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.