i got a problem....when i play something like this

pm----------------------------------
A/0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
D/0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
i uasully downpick it but as of lately ive been trying to alternate pick it i can do it but my notes sound weak and flat so i was wondering what should i do so it sounds more heavy and full
Quote by KnownUnknown
i got a problem....when i play something like this

pm----------------------------------
A/0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
D/0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
i uasully downpick it but as of lately ive been trying to alternate pick it i can do it but my notes sound weak and flat so i was wondering what should i do so it sounds more heavy and full

What you put in the tab looks like a rhythm part, and for that you need to use downstokes only to give it that great, chunky sound. When you play an upstroke with palm muting you don't get any chunk (great technical term ), which is why players like James Hetfield downpick just about everything. If you play "Master of Puppets" with alternate picking it just does not sound as good as all downstrokes. So you shouldn't really use upstrokes when you palm mute at all unless you're playing a single note line or double/triple stops in a lead context.
As the guy said about, it's better to downwards pick palm mutes, but since you're a beginner, you should still try alternate strokes just so you have the option to do either.

Firstly, where is your palm when you're palm muting? It is closer to the pick-ups or closer to the bridge? Move it closer to the bridge so that that sound is a little more "lively" and a little less "dead". That way, the notes will me louder and more audible, and as the guy said above, a little more "chunky" (lol, that is a good term ). Soon enough, you'll be able to just throw your hand down there and start chugging away palm mutes, throwing in ringing notes, and so on.

Hope that helped.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Oh, My mistake, I apologise for the beginner comment.

But yea, has it worked yet?
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way