does anyone know how to get that 80's hard rock tone, a la twisted sister and van halen? i've been tinkering with my amp settings but i cant seem to get it...any suggestions?
oh, how lovely that there is nothing special going here.
firstly uneed the amp for it. even on viontage mode i cant get it with my dual rec. but u need alot of mids, and i say maybe treble and bassa t around 11oclcok?
maybe, look in the ultimate settings thread.
Looking for a new sig!
i have that really cheap 15 watt fender frontman amp...except it DOESNT have reverb...but i do have a boss MD-2 pedal and a phase 90...guitar is an ibanez jet king 2

i'll go look in teh ultimate settings thread...
oh, how lovely that there is nothing special going here.
Marshall JCM 800.... Peavy 5150.... FLANGER!!! PHASER!!! You need a uh... fog machine... Hamer guitar, Kramer, Charvel, Takamine, etc.... hows that
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
well the van halen tone aka the brown sound is not an easy tone to replicate infact i dont think anyone has, but as far as a good 80s tone, id but your gain about 3/4s up, lots of mids, no more than halfway on your bass, halfway maybe more on your treble, thats where id start and work around to find your tone
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Didn't Eddie used to use JCM800's as well as the 5150's that were (i think) made for him?
High as tits
EVH started off with a Marshall 100w superlead with everything dimed.

For the best 80's tone listen to Warren DiMartini and his Marshall superlead. George Lynch tried to steal his amp a couple times because it sounded so good.

Needless to say, several things you'll want to go with whichever amp you use...

1. Flanger/phaser
2. Delay
3. Compressor
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
you need a medium gain amp (ala JCM 800) an Overdrive pedal in front of that mids around 11, treble around 130 bass around 5 gain 7-10 presence 6 reverb around 4
that should do it

oh and use your bridge humbucker only