hey i got some ernie ball beefy slinkys to see if i could lower my action with less fret buzz. i dont like the idea of a wound G string, so could i leave my other 3 strings, G, B, and high E on and just replace the bottem 3. the bottem 3 are the ones that i want lower action on and i also want to be able to bend easily on the top 3 strings.

my string guages would then be .11, .14, 18, .30, .42, .54

is this ok for the guitar?
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
ummm....i use ernie ball beefys.....since when do they have a wound G string? what you posted is fine. i think though that you should maybe just try the skinny top heavy bottoms, or just use 11's...or you could just get used to the beefys. this way you dont have to buy a pack and buy more strings. unless you buy eac string indivdually.

i say just use the beefys because they will sound better because of the thicker G and B string. after some getting used to it will be easy to bend and you wont want to go back.

edit: you said you wanted to lower your action. well you should get smaller strings when lowering action, not bigger. bigger strings need more room to vibrate and you will need a higher action for that. oh and seeing as youre putting a new guage on, you will need to redo your intonation.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Jan 9, 2007,
well i was advised by two people to get thicker strings, one of them is a guitar technician and the other just downright knows his stuff.....

anyway i just checked and saw that it doesnt have a wound G string, i guess i was wrong but i'll just try em out.

oh the same technician that recommended these strings was also the person that set up my guitar so im sure he took that into consideration. im going to these from .11s. and my store did not have the skinny top heavy bottems.
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ
lol i was gunna say yeah how is an 18 wounded? mines a 24w and its thin! but yeah try something light bottoms heavy tops like i dunno... 10-13-16-32-42-54
Quote by TacoPaco9317
well i was advised by two people to get thicker strings, one of them is a guitar technician and the other just downright knows his stuff.....

anyway i just checked and saw that it doesnt have a wound G string, i guess i was wrong but i'll just try em out.

oh the same technician that recommended these strings was also the person that set up my guitar so im sure he took that into consideration. im going to these from .11s. and my store did not have the skinny top heavy bottems.

well im sorry to say but if he actually said you should get heavier strings to get rid of buzzing and to lower you action then he is wrong. just try it. you will not be able to have it the same hight from the fretboard. ive used full on heavys before. even before you set your action, the action is higher just from the tension.
Quote by Schmidt1989
lol i was gunna say yeah how is an 18 wounded? mines a 24w and its thin! but yeah try something light bottoms heavy tops like i dunno... 10-13-16-32-42-54

well actually the set comes with a 22 unwound G string and like a 16 B i think.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
well im sorry to say but if he actually said you should get heavier strings to get rid of buzzing and to lower you action then he is wrong. just try it. you will not be able to have it the same hight from the fretboard. ive used full on heavys before. even before you set your action, the action is higher just from the tension.

i just put the low E on which is a .54, and it buzzes less. your right about the action being higher from the tension, and i countered that but it DOES buzz less so im happy
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ