I have been trying to write some instrumantal and i can write classicial and blues stuff pretty good but when i try to write a shred song i can't really get how to write them when ever i do i feel i "shred" to much. I feel as if i cant write a heavy meldoy either. I need some help with writing heavy shred songs. Thank You
^ the best piece of advice i can give you is to listen to instrumentals that you enjoy and pay attention to how the masters have done this in the past. usually if you pay attention you'll notice very well thought out dynamic patterns and that none of them really shred all THAT much, there are passages that are quick and passages that are slow. theres build-up, tension and release which are some very basic musical motifs used since the dawn of music.
Quote by z4twenny
^ the best piece of advice i can give you is to listen to instrumentals that you enjoy and pay attention to how the masters have done this in the past. usually if you pay attention you'll notice very well thought out dynamic patterns and that none of them really shred all THAT much, there are passages that are quick and passages that are slow. theres build-up, tension and release which are some very basic musical motifs used since the dawn of music.

This is sound advice.

When I tried to write an instrumental I picked a theme. It can be anything. An emotion, a journey of some kind, a story to tell through music....

Anyway, find a theme and then find elements of that theme that you want to put down in music. Find chord progressions and scales that can express each element of that theme and build it up... Not that Im an expert on writing instrumentals, its just how I done it once or twice..
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
i've written several instrumentals and guitar dude is right, find themes that you are trying to express, there was an article on UG about your music saying something there was an example that still sticks with me that said something like....

youdon'ttalksuperfastallthetimedoyou?

which made reference to people just constantly trying to shred at 100 beats per second, but as we all know, VERY few solos are balls to the wall the entire time (and even the ones that are have excellent dynamics) you want it to say something, let the feeling come through the music. it also helps to know the direction you want everything to go in prior to recording it, actually write the song out or at least diagram it (at least if you're anything like me and rarely repeat parts) and lastly don't force it and spend time with it. my instrumental pieces were generally written over a 3 or 4 months span, i'd write a riff here, a riff there, a riff over there then find a way to put them together.