When people tell me to practice alot and I'll get better... I think, do I just sit and practice learning a song all day? What exactly is it I'm supposed to be practicing so much besides getting used to strumming etc. I just started 2 weeks ago btw.
We seem to be in the same boat. I just try to find tabs to songs I like and try to work on playing them...

More like Destroying it!

Listening to it in Guitar Pro helps me too!

Im still VERY VERY VERY new too bro!!
Ibanez RG2EX1 (Black)
VOX AD50VT

Member of the SRV fanclub, PM zekk to join
Hate to be the one to say it but you will make progress MUCH faster with some focus and discipline in your practice.

Pick one and only one of these songs you are learning and start from the beginning. Take it 1 section at a time, say intro/main riff first, and practice it at a slow tempo untill you can play it perfectly. USE A METRONOME IF YOU ARE JUST BEGINNING. Then, when you can play it cleanly, practice it until you can play it in your sleep for a week or so. It's called muscle memory I think. Then work the speed up, maybe 5 clicks or so gradually up to full tempo of the song. Then tackle the next section, etc.

Trust me from experience, being able to play one whole song perfectly all the way through is better than knowing how to play bits and pieces of several songs at an average level.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
Hate to be the one to say it but you will make progress MUCH faster with some focus and discipline in your practice.

Pick one and only one of these songs you are learning and start from the beginning. Take it 1 section at a time, say intro/main riff first, and practice it at a slow tempo untill you can play it perfectly. USE A METRONOME IF YOU ARE JUST BEGINNING. Then, when you can play it cleanly, practice it until you can play it in your sleep for a week or so. It's called muscle memory I think. Then work the speed up, maybe 5 clicks or so gradually up to full tempo of the song. Then tackle the next section, etc.

Trust me from experience, being able to play one whole song perfectly all the way through is better than knowing how to play bits and pieces of several songs at an average level.

I will have to look into tha metronome...You think it will help me that much more? I will stick with Hells Bells to be able to play it through.. Thanks for your post.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but it was VERY helpful to me!
Ibanez RG2EX1 (Black)
VOX AD50VT

Member of the SRV fanclub, PM zekk to join
Songs are a good start for beginners, but if you wanna get better, fast start working on scales. Below is the Pentatonic Scale in A...

I------------------------------------5--8---------------------
I------------------------------5--8--------------------------
I-----------------------5--7-----------------------------------
I-----------------5--7---------------------------------------
I----------5--7--------------------------------------------
I---5--8-----------------------------------------------------

This will help increase your speed, finger strength, and finger agility. And eventually will be a building block for when you want to improvise. Learn lots of scales, chords, etc... but learn it to remember it, get it burned in your brain.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar

Well said.
Right now, I'm working on I'm alright, neil zaza. Kinda simple, i know, but I've not been playing for long.
Also, I can add that, from experience, its a lot better to practice a bit every day, rather than to clump all your practice into one or two days of intense conditioning. Unfortunately, I am forced to do this because of my higher preoccupation as a student, but during breaks, I practice about 3-5 hours a day. Overdoing it will cause you to forget a lot of stuff if you dont reinforce it the day after.
Its also odd how i find that quite a number of newer guitar players are absolutely horrendous at keeping tempo. This, I hypothesize, is probably due to lack of previous musical experience, but it is a curiousity nevertheless.
Videos on youtube of other people playing the same piece are also really helpful in keeping tempo.
Current equipment:
Ibanez GSA60
Crate XT15R
Line 6 Podxt Live
EBow
And thats it