ok well ive had my tube amp for like 2 and a hlaf years. i play every day, and its like a 30 or 50 watt not sure cus it was custom built by my friends dad. So i cant hear it over my drummer, are my tubs to old and need to be replaced?
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

Member #3 of the Ibanez RG Owners of the World club. PM user rockownsyou to join
could you hear it over your drummer at all in the past two and a half years?
ok so my first band was in like september, and i could hear my self fine over that drummer. But now im in a new band and i cant hear my self and neither can most of my band mates, the other guitarist in my band can but thats cus hes directly across from me so he gets my sound straight on. So today i took the amp into guitar center and then the guy was like yea u need to get ur tubes changed and he said i need to get soemthing ellse done on my amp. I think he said "tuning" the amp to the tubes mayb? i dont remember, but ne ways its ganna cost me 50 bucks and then on top of that the price of the tubs wich is like 80. so whats the deal why cant i change the tubs and get done with it?
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

Member #3 of the Ibanez RG Owners of the World club. PM user rockownsyou to join
It's called biasing. As far as I know, it's basically making the tubes so that they'll work well and sound good in your particular amp.
is it necsessary(sp?)
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

Not really. It is if you want the best sound from your amp. Also if you want to make sure the new tubes don't die prematurely. How big is the speaker/s on your amp?
not sure how big the speaker is but it says 12/50 dont know what that means. then it says 8 ohms. and hte guy at guitarcenter today said it was a 50 watt its using two 34's and then three 12ax7, tubes that is
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

Alright, that means your speaker is 12 inches, and I think 50 watts. Probably. And yeah, the EL34s and the 12AX7s are just types of tubes.
if you play everyday on a tube amp for 2 or so years, I'd say its about time to change and bias the new tubes.
ok well hes charging 130$ is that resonable? 50 for the labor and then on top of that for the tubes
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

tubes should only cost about 75-80...
are you saying for tubes AND biasing itll cost 130?
that doesnt sound TOO bad, but i mean "labour"? you just pull them out and put in the new ones. then bias the two power tubes.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Also, if none of you can hear yourselves over your new drummer it's his problem. Tell him to use some restraint, he shouldn't have to hit the things as hard as he can.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
how hard is it to bias an amp i mean seriously, is there ne where can i learn to do it cus im about to do it my self, that way ill only have to spend 80 bucks and ill know how to do it forever. i mean its a good skill to have u know?
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

you should bias the tubes as it can potentially damage your amp. maybe Kerry or Pink will know how to do it, pm them. if you bias your tubes it will be better for the amp, sound better, etc.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
in the eurotube video he uses a meter to messure the bias. how much are those and where can i get em
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

You really shouldn't bias tubes yourself from what I've heard, as amps contain lots of high voltage caps that can shockl you long after you disconnect them from the power supply.
Quote by shav0r
You really shouldn't bias tubes yourself from what I've heard, as amps contain lots of high voltage caps that can shockl you long after you disconnect them from the power supply.

umm are you sure??????? what about the hundreds of peps that do it them selves???

bottom line is get your tubes changed..when ever you change your tubes you have to re bias them PERIOD......Some amps are easier than others.....You can learn how to do it your self or get a tech to do it...Why dont you just go to the dudes house that you got it from and ask him to show u!
Last edited by JaredFace at Jan 22, 2007,
Welli think it's a good idea for you to get a tech to do it. You don't seem to knwo alot about tubes and stuff and a tech is alot safer. Plus the Eurotube vids are for special amps.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
ok well good news a family friend who ahs played guitar for +20 years came over and asked him to take a lok at my amp he played on it and kranked it up and looked at the tubes and went over the whole amp. he said the tubes look fine and that they look like theyve been barraly used. well hen told me to just get a cab or mic my amp and that shoudl do it. so im ganna get a cab soon, dont know which one but i know that its ganna be loud . And i woudl take the amp to the guy who made it but i dont tlak to his son ne more and havnt for like 2 years oops! haha
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

If you need more volume, try tilting the amp back and turn the EQ knobs up (ie rather than say T5 M7.5 B5 try T7.5 M10 B7.5), people say that this isn't a good idea, but hey, Hendrix did it (he turned all the knobs on his amp to 10).
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure