Hey,

I'm trying some recording of my amplifier and i find that my mic audio is so low. my gear is:

Fender Blues Jr
Shure SM57
ART MPA Gold Mic Preamp

Basically, i have the mic about 2 inches dead center in front of the amp and with i have to crank all the knobs on the preamp.

the preamp has an input gain and i need to put that around +40dB
the preamp has an audio output knob and i need to put that around +10dB
Those are maxed out for the values.
In addition, I have to toggle the +20dB switch as well

Is this normal? I heard that Shure SM57 are low sensitivity mics... but, i didn't think that low.

Any opinions?
Gibson Les Paul 60's Neck
Fender Blues Junior
Boss BD-2 - Keeley Phat Mod
Vox V848 Wah
EH Small Clone
Last edited by beefeater267 at Jan 9, 2007,
I live in a 1 bedroom apt.... so loud enough that the neighboors can't hear it. it's not cranked out .
Fender Blues Junior
Vox V848 Wah
EH Small Clone
You shouldn't have to turn your preamp up like that. An SM57 is directional. So, I wonder if you have it centered over the speaker of the amp. If you have it two inches from the center of the amp, could that be a piece of wood it's pointing at??

Seriously, be sure your mic is pointed right at the speaker, over the cone. Once you get it going you can move the mic around to find the "sweet spot".

Also, how are you connecting to the pre-amp? Using the XLR's or a 1/4" jack? I'm not familiar with that pre-amp, but when I have audio level problems like that it's usually an impedance matching issue. You need a transformer / adapter to balance out the impedance when using a 1/4" unbalanced connection.
I have the mic connected via XLR. Where is the cone in the speaker? is it directly in the center?
Fender Blues Junior
Vox V848 Wah
EH Small Clone
Check the back of your speaker. Do you have 2 round things, or 1, or more than that. Also, put the mics right up against the screen of your amp. Try to place the mic, vertically center, but off to the left of the actual speaker. So it should basically split your amp in half up and down, but its off to the left of it, and its also right up against the screen.

And is your preamp plugged into your speakers or into your mic? Like do you have the mic run to the preamp to your recording device? Or is the preamp for your amp/speaker set? Because you need to get some sort of level booster on the mic before you connect it to your computer. Because the mic sends out a low/mice level (0 to -20 dBu) signal, it isn't strong enough to be recorded. You have to boost it up to line level, (-20dBu to +30dBu)

No matter how much you yell and scream into the mic, w/o any gain it won't pick up anything.
I got nothing to say here

Guitar: Red Ibanez RG120