Im writing this soft arpegio and I would like to know how I can really imply that the chords are changing and know which note to play. For example lets take the interlude in master of puppets it goes Em, D, C(add 9), Am, B7. James doesnt play the notes in any obvious order (like stairway to heaven), but it sounds really good. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to make my arpegio sound cool like this one

P.S. sry if im confusing
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It's theory! Hooray THEORY!

Edit: Oh, haha, that's not what you want.

Just screw around. That's really how you come up with good stuff.

Thanx, and for the quick response too

Could I ask you another question, To really imply a chord change you want to start your next chord on the root note or a 5th, Right?
Quote by metal4eva_22
Could I ask you another question, To really imply a chord change you want to start your next chord on the root note or a 5th, Right?
It will depend a lot on the bassline, but I've been trying it unaccompanied, and it sounds decent.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It will depend a lot on the bassline, but I've been trying it unaccompanied, and it sounds decent.

So you should hit the same note as the bass?
Quote by metal4eva_22
So you should hit the same note as the bass?
You can do that, but that's not what I meant. The bass should be implying the chords, so the guitarist has more freedom to play extensions and such.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You can do that, but that's not what I meant. The bass should be implying the chords, so the guitarist has more freedom to play extensions and such.

Agreed. If you have a bassist who plays the 3rds, you can have a singer sing the root notes and then imply melody and then ahve the guitar play fifths and additional stuff.

Or, you can simply sing the root with your voice and use it to help determine chord changes.