I just started going to the gym by my house, and I was wondering how long I should spend there, and how often I should go. I'm not super fat, but I'd like to tone up a bit or whatever you want to call it, any help would be nice.
30w crate
Epi sg
Fretless yamaha pacifica

Being poor rules.
Ask the gym, maybe?

The fact that you didn't ask them that shows you'll be right at home. At the gym. With strong people.
What i did was 1 day i would do upper body, next day i would do lower, next upper, next lower, ect.
id say start out small like 20 minutes, then increase every 5 minutes until you get to 1 hour and a half i guess. dont over do it at first. id say start 2 times a week, then 3 times a week and if you can 4 times a week.
Quote by STZ
What i did was 1 day i would do upper body, next day i would do lower, next upper, next lower, ect.

yup. work one area hard, then move on and let it rest for a few days.
Quote by STZ

... So you'd have a bigger chest on Monday, then legs Tuesday?
Quote by Zuka

Well thats what i did worked for me, gave me time to rest the arms but keep working on another part at the same time. Then the next day my arms are fine.
Quote by Zuka

It's not like you work out one day and are suddenly ripped the next because of it.
I have been going to gym's for over 4 year so i know a thing or two
You need to make a note book for yourself so you know what you have done on what day,and this will show you how you have improved when you look at it later on after a few months..
I would suggest going atleast 3 times a week.
One day work out your back and Biceps
Another day do your chest and triceps
And another day do your Legs and Abs and some running is good.

One thing you must always remember to do always always always always i cant say this enough always stretch before doing anything..

That should be good to start you out for a while..
alright, growing up witha bodybuilder (my dad). ive learned a lot about lifting weights and the gym.

there are three main groups you should work out.

1. Chest,shoulders, and triceps
2.back and biceps
3.legs

be sure to include a proper diet if you want quick results, think of your body like a machine, if you dont feed it the right fuel.... it wont preform as well.

goodluck&get ripped

ps. abs and other "fast reaction muscles" (such as forearms& calves) can be worked every day at the end of your workout, but for optimal results i would suggest spreading them out over a 2 day period.
your routine should look something like this

moday-gym
tuesday-gym
wednesday-gym
thursday-rest
friday-gym
saturday-gym
sunday-gym
monday-rest
etc.

umm you can find a bunch of useful tips online, just look around and you can find something
it's recomended that we get at LEAST 30 minutes of physical activity a day.. after 30 minutes, your body starts to burn calories, fat and build muscles, etc. soo.. i say, 5 times a week, for 45 minutes to an hour! better than me if you do that.. i barely go twice a week for no longer than 30.
Quote by karlh07
yup. work one area hard, then move on and let it rest for a few days.

Lower and upper bodies aren't areas, you have to work, say, triceps and biceps one day, chest and shoulders another, quads and calves the next or whatever, not just upper and lower; you'll never get anything done.

Right now, I get about an hour almost every day, but next semester it will probably drop, and I'll have to try harder to get it in.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
2 hours a day, 6 days a week. thats what arnold schwarzenegger used to do. it tooks him 5 years to build up all the muscle he had. he went from a skinny 150 lbs. to 250 lbs of muscle.
Quote by badboy2910
2 hours a day, 6 days a week. thats what arnold schwarzenegger used to do. it tooks him 5 years to build up all the muscle he had. he went from a skinny 150 lbs. to 250 lbs of muscle.

yea and i bet at least half those years included steroids
One Rule: never go over 30 minutes. [ =
Member #4 of the iPods Suck Balls Club.
PM Oblivious16037 to join!

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power
Your my hero dementedpuppy.

Last.fm
POOP
4 or 5 days a week...one hour at a time.

www.exrx.net

I think that's the site i just typed it out...but it's very helpful. There's others out there too.

Like www.bodybuilding.com maybe.....I think.

EDIT: yeah those are the right sites
Quote by evilchuck
Until you start sweating battery acid would be my suggestion

wait until you sweat blood or semen, your muscles would be 100 times better if you do that
Quote by gars jaloux
it's recomended that we get at LEAST 30 minutes of physical activity a day.. after 30 minutes, your body starts to burn calories, fat and build muscles, etc. soo.. i say, 5 times a week, for 45 minutes to an hour! better than me if you do that.. i barely go twice a week for no longer than 30.

doesnt your body use more calories and burn more fat as soon as you start doing any type of exercise? the longer you do something the more fat and calories you use, i always though it was just your body started to use up more after 20mins of exercise, mind you im not in the best of shape so i could be wrong
Warm up for twenty minutes by running on a treadmill or stepping on a cross trainer, and really step it up for the last couple of minutes on the machine. Then after that do general weights exercises to tone up the muscles in your body. I usually start with legs, doing squats and rows, then moving onto my arms with bicep curls etc. For general toning this kinda thing should work. This'll probably take you about 40-50 minutes, which is ideal.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.