i've got a couple questions.

my music store has ten different guitar teachers for different styles. and today we just went over there to set up some lessons or whatever, and when the guy was all like well what kind of music do you like? i only told him the mars volta, and he put down rock/funk/blues but i like a lot of folky stuff like sufjan stevens and death cab for cutie and cursive and a bunch of other crap to.

do teachers usually have an open mind?

if he wrote that down do you think my teacher will be interested in teaching me things like sufjan stevens, and cursive and counting crows and music like that?

i don't know i'm just nervous of that he'll only wnat to teach me things like eighties metal and crap because i really hate that crap and my friend gets lessons there and thats all he learns.
Quote by MightyAl
The best way to approach a group of girls is wearing a dirty old trenchcoat with nothing underneath. Open it in slow motion, while making your 'orgasm face', and then run like hell.

]
So they have 10 different teachers to be able to teach different styles and he wrote you down for rock/blues, and you're worried about being taught metal? Your friend probably has the metal teacher or something.
... How about instead of 10 instructors with only ONE style preference, they get 10 with some kind of horizon? Jeez! Ten and each one of them knows only one style?
thats what he learns cause thats what he wants to learn.

If you dont get the lessons you want from a teacher, change...

You said it yourself there's 10 of em!
Try and find lessons somewhere else if you can. It's nice to have a versatile teacher. I'm into punk and in my lessons right now I'm doing some weird expiremental stuff. If you don't like waht he teaches you, you could probably try and switch lessons.
brnh.bandcamp.com
You should learn theory anyways, so for the most part style doesn't matter.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
i've been playing for three years and i know how to use all the modes and i know major and minor scales but i'm really only taking lessons to get some direction so i can get even better. Would you classify the mars volta and at the drive-in as rock/blues/funk cause i sure as hell wouldn't. whatever i haven't started yet

does anyone know the kind of things i might learn?
Quote by MightyAl
The best way to approach a group of girls is wearing a dirty old trenchcoat with nothing underneath. Open it in slow motion, while making your 'orgasm face', and then run like hell.

]
you dont need any teachers to learn rock.

learn from teachers that actually teach you things that matter, like reading notes, learning scales and techniques, music manners and scenarios, etc.

usually, the jazz teacher is best for that. classical will work too.