Page 1 of 3
theres this girl that i went to school with that would always wear a necklace with a pick on the end of it. she would always twirl it around and show it off. i think she did it just for attention so that people would say "OMG she plays guitar shes so cool!". did any of you ever know anybody that act like jerks to show off the fact that they play guitar? please share stories
People who bring their guitars to school but don't even play them. That just pisses me off, it's one thing if your in jazz band or something, but they know they won't get a chance to play it so why bring it? To "show off" which is exactly my point.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
There's a goth in my class that plays guitar really bad, and she has that same thing, a pick necklace, and she wears it but she doesn't look cool she looks like a goth chick that sucks at guitar trying to show off.
Looking for a new sig!
I wear a guitar pick necklace for convenience. Face it though, guitars are cool and that girl could have been doing worse things for attention (buttsecks?). Unless she's actually going around saying "DERRP I play guitar" you're just making assumptions.
Quote by Anything Goes
People who bring their guitars to school but don't even play them. That just pisses me off, it's one thing if your in jazz band or something, but they know they won't get a chance to play it so why bring it? To "show off" which is exactly my point.

i bring my guitar to school and play during lunch and between classes, of course it kinda sucks having to carry it around school all day but its fun.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
I work at this little meat market that happens to sell candy, so we always get these little kids that want to buy $.43 worth of jolly ranchers with the money they found in the couch. This one little 10-year-old comes in every week, and empties all the change in his pocket, including a guitar pick. He says the exact same thing every time. "Oops, that's just my guitar pick."
I have one of those pick necklaces :P But I can back it up by playing in The JAzz Band, The musical, and a few galleries/bars. Anyways, theres a kid in choir who thinks he's hott stuff. One day the teacher (an oversized beach whale), was all "Okay, for the musical we still need a few monster guitarists" needless to say this kid had one of those "She's talking about me looks" , I think it hurt his self esteem though hearing shouts of combinations of my first and last name,, which also proves the ignorance of the non-guitarists because I'm not as good as they all think I am. Enough rambling.
Quote by Anything Goes

yeah same with people who bring skateboards to school and ride bus to and from school there is no reason for that shit
the guys (and their are many) who presume just cos i cant shred like vai that im no good on guitar.

until i drop the pick and get down to fingerpicking.
if they can match me ill pay them for lessons. if not.. well... pwned.

what about those ****ers who insist that their sqiuer strat is infact a 40 year old fender... very rare model they got from their great uncle archybald.

ok mate... heres a quid... stop talking to me.
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.
Last edited by robertreilly666 at Jan 9, 2007,
Quote by walker-rose
i bring my guitar to school and play during lunch and between classes, of course it kinda sucks having to carry it around school all day but its fun.

Yeah but at least you play, these kids never do, the teachers don't allow playing during lunch. So it's like why even bother? And the only place you can go to too play during lunch is "the music hall" but we don't let non-music class kids in there, cause we're mean like that
^ I see that alot. They carry them from classroom to classroom. Then maybe ride 20 feet to the bus stop and hop on.
What's up?
Quote by Anything Goes
People who bring their guitars to school but don't even play them.

Not always the case . There was a kid I knew in high school (on my bus) who played Adam Sandler songs the entire bus ride. Fun times those were!

Edit: oops sorry misread your statement
At least half of the stories on here are of people who actually play guitar!

There's these 2 assholes at my school, one's just a total dick, and the other is only a dick when the first one's around. Well anyway, because I look different than them (I have long hair, not a semi-buff jock), they try to make fun of me. In the worst and stupidest ways... One of them sings 1 line from my band's first song (we don't play it anymore because we hate it), somehow assuming that that annoys me. The other does a pathetic job of trying to diss my guitar skills, saying stuff like "Yeah, I played guitar for... 13... years... I can own you" when he's never come close to plucking a string in his life.

Eh, it goes on, but it's not worth the effort.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
this guy was like "z0mg jimmy page ist teh god lolz!" and i was like "stfu" because im cooler and stuff
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
There's this guy in my school, decent player but retardedly overrated. Everyone thinks he's better than this one guy who has been playing since he was 6 and knows classical guitar, as well as a lot of theory, and did a perfect Foxey Lady cover in front of the school at the age of 12. Anyway, the overrated guy I was talking about learned "You Are My Sunshine," and bragged about it for a little while.
Member #11 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join

Quote by MuffinMan
Women: the newest form of currency.
I Play Guitar Look At Me. I Even Have An Account On A Guitar Forum. Look Up My Coolio Threads About Guitar At Ultimate Guitar .com. Woot Guitar
What's up?
Quote by Anything Goes
Yeah but at least you play, these kids never do, the teachers don't allow playing during lunch. So it's like why even bother? And the only place you can go to too play during lunch is "the music hall" but we don't let non-music class kids in there, cause we're mean like that

I bring my guitar to school and dont play it, but i bring it cause I'm going to my drummers house after. You can easily assume they show off, but they might have a jam session after school.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
those i could own you on guitar guys are the very reason i want a martin backpacker..

id just be like *swish* prove it bitch! then if they lose the guitar battle i beat them with the backpacker..

all solid construction... f t w
Quote by InvaderTSN
what should you do if you ever lose a guitar battle badly in front of an audience?
What's up?
Quote by MusicHead32
There's this guy in my school, decent player but retardedly overrated. Everyone thinks he's better than this one guy who has been playing since he was 6 and knows classical guitar, as well as a lot of theory, and did a perfect Foxey Lady cover in front of the school at the age of 12. Anyway, the overrated guy I was talking about learned "You Are My Sunshine," and bragged about it for a little while.

That's happened in my school too. During some band performance, 2 guitarists came in, sat down, and started playing. They were the only people on stage, sitting there. For the next 5 or so minutes, both of them played the exact same thing, a bunch of chords to a song with no name. And what's worse is that both of their amps had just slightly too much Bass!

Erm, anywho. They got a big round of applause from the audience, but I didn't cheer. I respected the effort, but as I looked around, I could see every other guitarist in the auditorium were basically saying "Eh..."
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
I bring my guitar to school fairly often...and I paly it in the fifteen minutes I have before classes start, during lunch and after school I ahve the school mass band practice (which is cool cause theres only like 3 students, and two teachers).

Othertimes, I bring it because I've gotta go to band practice after school...

However, I do hate when people who can't play guitar want to play my guitar, or when people who do play guitar, but always play the same thing play my guitar. It gets really boring.
Quote by bluesrocker101
I bring my guitar to school and dont play it, but i bring it cause I'm going to my drummers house after. You can easily assume they show off, but they might have a jam session after school.

True, that could be the case, but I highly assume it's not for some of the kids at my school. (I hope you don't lug your guitar around all day just for that, leave it in the band room, a trusted teachers room, something man, otherwise that's a real bitch.
Quote by HPLoveCraft
what should you do if you ever lose a guitar battle badly in front of an audience?

Smash that shit mofo!!!

Everyone will be so shocked they'll forget the guitar duel ever took place...
Quote by HPLoveCraft

bow. sweep your arms out to indicate the winner is your opponent and step out of the way and let him play. applaud him
Quote by InvaderTSN
What i hate is that people think im some kind of shredder just because i play. IVE ONLY BEEN PLAYING A YEAR PEOPLE!!!!!! Although i guess it is a complement. Another thing is when i bring my guitar to school for jazz band or something some punk-ass little MOFO is like "HEY youre a guitar player? I bet im better than you." (by the way this did happen), so later when i was waiting to be picked up i started playing in the cold and the MOFOs have shut up since.

P.S. I do wear a pick necklace, Its my first pick (tear, tear) and i just call "me lucky charm"
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
I occasionally bring a guitar to school. It's always for some sort of class-related reason, like today I brought my strat for a project in first period.

At my old school, I knew this dude named Tim, a badass metal guitarist. He brought his cheap steel-string acoustic to school every day, slung behind his back. He'd always play it in class, have jam sessions at lunch, it was basically just good times. He and I would always play "Rooster" by Alice In Chains at lunch, and we'd even go around and make up songs about people; I'd strum G, Cadd9, D, Cadd9 over and over and follow him around as he made up rhymes about people he didn't even know. I miss those days

The best was Music Appreciation class, which is where I met him. There were about half a dozen guitarists in there (the rest were band kids and kids who took the class because the only other elective available was Floral Design), so Tim would pass his guitar along and we'd all sit in a circle and take turns playing stuff. I've never had a better class

I hate bringing my guitar to school, because I always get the exact same stuff:

-"Dude, play some thing for me!" No, I'd rather not. I don't know you, I already don't like you, and unless you have a few bucks to stick in my hand right now, NO riffs for you!
-"Can you take it out of the bag? Lemme see it!" No, I'm busy trying to eat my lunch. It's a black Fender Strat with pearl pickguard. Nothing special. Go away.
-"Do you play guitar?" No, dumbass, I just take it to school once in a while because I REALLY enjoy having twice as much weight on my shoulders when I walk through the hallways. Everyone knows the guitar isn't a musical instrument, it's a prop that you use to look cool, DUH!
-"What songs do you know?" A billion random tunes that you've never heard and probably never will, because I listen to music that sucks to people who suck.
-"Is that a guitar or a bass?" Do I really have to answer that?
-"Is that a guitar or a piccolo?" I've actually had someone ask me that once. I think being near that kid has made me dumber.

So yeah.

well sounds like fun but it'd be pretty ridiculous if you brought your electric guitar.

Although for a change Tim could carry around the amp and you could still play guitar.
What's up?
there's these 2 kids in my ld music class who pretty much just play slow songs with the same 'solo' (some random slace played fairly slowly, and ALWAYS with the same picking pattern) and everyone thought they were heaps good. and they always went up the front in music class and turned the amps up heaps loud so everyone had to see them.

we had an assignment once where we had to write a protest song or a psychedelic song, and they played some "psychedelic", which consisted of one of them strumming Am and E, and the other one doing those aforementioned scales, except with a bit of wah.
when i played i just improvised some stuff. i had never learnt any scales then, i just chose lciks that sounded good togther and improvised based on them, and fairly fast like greg ginn.
one of the teachers complained about some of it being out of key, but the head music teacher says "i thought it was good. it was like a free-jazz / rock fusion, and he can really move his fingers along"
everyone said they thought it was good, they just didn't like how some of it was out. i thought that was the best bit.

/brag
i guess i'm one of those people now, eh? haha
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Quote by Anything Goes
Smash that shit mofo!!!

Everyone will be so shocked they'll forget the guitar duel ever took place...

Classic photo ftw!
They're called posers and they make up 40% of the guitarist community.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by Slash 602
There's this asshole I know named lounge act, and he is t3h p0zer

.....What?

To the threadstarter,
I don't actually know anybody i would consider a poser. I consider posers to show off they are something they are not. The only people i know who show off their guitar abilities are amazing guitar players. If that girl can play guitar well, then let her brag about it, im sure you would brag if you were great at football, guitar or whatever the hell you do
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein
All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.

Quote by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
Quote by JesusOfSbrbia
"Is that a guitar or a piccolo?"
haha
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
I have a friend like that. He always talks about how he's really good, and when he looks at songs(like, he looked at one As I Lay Dying song), he's like "Dude, that's too easy. I'm not going to play that" when he tries it, he says it's easy. When I watch him play it, the first thing I realize: His guitar is in standard tuning. I say "Practice guitar, and don't think you're so good..." Meh, I couldn't care less, but I try to teach him....
Quote by bluesrocker101

or lesson
Quote by jack_the_ripper
P.S. I do wear a pick necklace, Its my first pick (tear, tear) and i just call "me lucky charm"

Heh, I gave my first pick to my girlfriend at the time (Ex-girlfriend now). But the good thing is that she's my best friend. If I ever make it big, I know its in the hands of the girl who inspired me to keep playing.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
I don't even use a pick when I play.

What I don't like is when guitarists start talking to people about guitar who obviously have no idea what they're on about. I only talk about guitar if someone asks me about it.
some say you're a troubled boy
just because you like to destroy
all the things that bring the idiots joy
well, what's wrong with a little destruction?

Friend?

Click Please
flickr
deviantART
Page 1 of 3