I bought a microphone yesterday so I wouldnt have to use my $5 walmart one for recordings. The problem that I have with this one is that it stays very quiet. The $5 one is a lot louder than this one is. Whenever I record, the playback is only about 25% as loud as when I recorded with the new mic, but it was just about as loud as it was when I recorded it with the cheap one. Is there any way to fix this?
Buy a mike preamp.

EDIT: the mike input on your soundcard has a preamp built in, but it's a very crappy one.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
some mics have a dB boost switch built in, or try windows volume control-sometimes something is hidden there that is low
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
Alright, I kind of fixed that problem. I checked a box in windows volume control that said Microphone boost or something like that. Now my other question is how do I get rid of the delay that im hearing when I record stuff? I just tried to record to a backing track, and it was completely off time
Quote by thetoastinator
Alright, I kind of fixed that problem. I checked a box in windows volume control that said Microphone boost or something like that. Now my other question is how do I get rid of the delay that im hearing when I record stuff? I just tried to record to a backing track, and it was completely off time

Your soundcard sucks, so theres nothing you can do. You have to move the track back a bit in your software.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Quote by thetoastinator

that latency you cant fix it without getting a better sound card and maybe some extra RAM.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Try yelling and playing louder. Or try a mic preamp.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Quote by thetoastinator
damn... I have enough RAM I think, its just that I have a stock soundcard. How would I go about replacing it, and how much does it normally cost?

$150 for a decent one, or you could get a firewire interface which would be better since they usually have good mic preamps. and you just pop the oldone out and put the new one in then install the drivers and whatnot. Make sure the sa\oundcard you get has ASIO drivers and can run them properly.

Last.fm
Quote by Ackj
Try yelling and playing louder.

That is, the worst piece of advice possible in this situation.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Ahh, that would explain why my recordings are so much quieter than my bassists... he's got a new, much nicer computer, and I have a crappy 12-year-old one that we drug from the basement
you could try burning the backing track to a CD and then playing that through a stereo by the computer and recording everything through the mic.

audacity has more control over the mic gain and sensitivity. I would use that for recording. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
^I use Audacity, but whenever I turn up the volume past like +9, it breaks up and gets distorted. But the stereo idea seems good, but then I would have to take everything in one take.
yeah you really need a mic preamp, and better recording software.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 10, 2007,