Page 1 of 2
So I think I will get a Mexican Standard Strat soon, but I'm not 100%. I could save up for the American Strat, but the Standard is obviously a lot closer money-wise. But if the Standard will give me a tone that can last for a lifetime, I'ma get that. But if it doesn't, I'm saving up for an American. So which?
Last edited by cokeisbetter at Feb 6, 2007,
your gonna be yearning for something more if you take the easy way out, save the money for an american
I'd got with the mexican strat, the american is marginally better tone wise, and the finish is slightly better, but not worth twice the price.
Fender Standard Stratocaster (Seymour Duncan JB in Bridge)
Epiphone Explorer
Marshall MG100DFX 100 watt combo
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss Dm-2 Delay
Digitech WH4 Whammy
Morely Vol Volume (vintage 1975)
^agreed

However, you could always customize your standard strat, I myself have a standard fat strat, and I'm seriously contemplating pickup/string change, as the stock ones aren't overly impressing me (though they will do).

Or, there is the Highway 1 strat, basically a MIM strat, inspected and "finished" in America, for a middle ground (+ vintage noiseless pickups!)

Additionally - word is the MIM Dexuxe Players Strats are great deals for the price, below the highway 1s
MIMs do last, esp the new ones. the 2006 models are upgrades from the 05s. if you can spend more get a deluxe players strat. i have one and its great. still i woulda preferred 22 frets but i like the unglossed neck better. if you can look into the carvin t-bolts. they are around the same price of american strats but more customizable and very good quality. im thinking of getting one when i feel like having another strat (which wont be any time soon unless i get a lot of extra money haha).
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by cokeisbetter
So I think I will get a Mexican Standard Strat soon, but I'm not 100%. I could save up for the American Strat, but the Standard is obviously a lot close money-wise. But if the Standard will give me a tone that can last for a lifetime, I'ma get that. But if it doesn't, I'm saving up for an American. So which?

get the mexican and change the pickups and tuners
Quote by the_dong146
there is the Highway 1 strat, basically a MIM strat, inspected and "finished" in America

Stop spreading false information. A Highway is not basically a MIM. The only thing the MIM and Highway have in common is the hardware (bridge, tuners and strap buttons). Everything else, down to the pickguard material, is different.

Threadstarter, I think a Standard will last as long as you need it to last. It's a good guitar that can easily be upgraded for improved performance. The more expensive models offer higher quality, refined features and professional sound, stock.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at Jan 12, 2007,
just the Strat, No.
i had my strat's pickups changed twice.
the pickup gave no mids, just hum.
but i guess its good afterall getting a new pickup set.
so in this case, Yes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The american deluxes come with S-1 switching...so keep that in mind.

Is it worth twice the price? Probably not, but it is definitely a better instrument.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
My 1993 MIM is in almost new condition. Hopefully the quality today is as good or better.
I've had my Mexican Strat for about 3 to 4 years now, it's still perfect sounding, it'll definately last me long.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by andrew7667
The american deluxes come with S-1 switching...so keep that in mind.

Is it worth twice the price? Probably not, but it is definitely a better instrument.

im pretty sure the S-1 switching is EASILY done with about $10 worth of components.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

MIM strat is definitely worth it. solid as shit. i dont see how it could break at any point.

just replace the stock pickups, and it shall rock. mine does. i will never consider buying an american one. i cant find a fault in my mexican one.

although, watch out for the occasional 'ugly ducklings'. they have becme rarer, but still some same model feners play better than others.
actually buzz its a real pain in the ass to wire up an S-1, if u ever take apart a MIA, check out the mess under there.

but he's right u can get the same effect with switches, for about $10 or so.

and the new highways, like said, are a good alternative. you get your MIA neck, great finish and pups, for a slight bump in price as compared to the deluxe MIAs.

american mades are worth the money tho, you get the better neck, pickups, switching, plastics, hardware, like the bridge and tuners, all for around a grand. not a bad investment.

with that said, to answer ur question. Are upgraded Mex strats going to hold up?
YES. mines over 10 years old. and besides pickup swaps this guitar is original, holds it's tune, up and down its neck, and never gives me a problem. (a couple of frets are worn)
but that's an easy fix. im just lazy and am able to compensate for the wear, so they've gone unpolished.)
my mex made is my fav of all my guitars. and id be lost without it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
For some reason I love my MIM Strat's pickups, can't find any flaws with them.
That doesn't seem to be the general concensus on there tho...
Don't be afraid to care"

well i had mine in there a while, maybe 6 years. ut at the time i was into heavier music and used my schecter a lot more.

the neck pickup is really nice for stock, imo.

the middle is fine but the guitar really jumps wt a hotter middle pup.

and the bridge. meh, just too tinny for my tastes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I love the neck and bridge, they're prefect. I don't tend to use the other positions, I do at times, but sometimes they sound a bit weak and unfamilar. Good for experimenting with though.
And I've played tons of other Strats, USA ones etc, I still like mine better.
Don't be afraid to care"

What is S-1 switching?
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
I love my mexican vintage Jimi hendrix woodstock maple neck guitar. I love it man. Get one they are worth it
Last edited by SillyRabbit at Jan 10, 2007,
Jimi Hendrix Woodstock guitar? No Hendrix sigs have ever been made, dude. Not by Fender. Looks like a rip-off, or you lying.
its pretty much the same thing as Hendrix's Its just got the brown neck instead of the beige so im not lying if i had a camera id take a picture and show ya. And mine is vintage
Quote by cokeisbetter
Jimi Hendrix Woodstock guitar? No Hendrix sigs have ever been made, dude. Not by Fender. Looks like a rip-off, or you lying.

Actually, they did. A few years ago they stopped producing them. They had a Jimi Hendrix Strat that was basically a left handed guitar flipped over and strung backwards, like how Jimi used to play right-handed guitars.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by SillyRabbit
it has the same vintage look that Jimi's did

1. How old are you?
2. Just cos your Squier looks like the one Jimi Hendrix used at Woodstock doesn't mean it's special.
3. You spelled it Jimmy in your first post. Not cool.
4. Just do something stupid and get banned already.

Quote by Dirk Gently
Actually, they did. A few years ago they stopped producing them. They had a Jimi Hendrix Strat that was basically a left handed guitar flipped over and strung backwards, like how Jimi used to play right-handed guitars.

Oh. OK. Well, now I feel dumb. Dang.
I dont have a squier dude mines a pure strat just a strat nothing else well except for its dam good but other then that
oh yeah and mines a right so other then the color of neck and right handed mines close to his woodstock
Last edited by SillyRabbit at Jan 10, 2007,
^ There's an edit button on the bottom left of your post box. Become familiar with its use or you might start getting somewhat upsetting emails from mods.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by cokeisbetter
1. How old are you?
2. Just cos your Squier looks like the one Jimi Hendrix used at Woodstock doesn't mean it's special.
3. You spelled it Jimmy in your first post. Not cool.
4. Just do something stupid and get banned already.

Oh. OK. Well, now I feel dumb. Dang.

thanks for pointing out jimmy sorry Im 15 by the way and yeah i type to fast and dont think before i type so yeah dont get offended by me or anything im just a 15 year old after all
What id reccomend is to buy a used MIJ Strat, theyre jsut awesome!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
i like mine. Mine was expensive but i got it for christmas one year and my uncle got it at a pawn shop for 400 dollors cheaper then its supposed to.
Quote by Gabel
What id reccomend is to buy a used MIJ Strat, theyre jsut awesome!

Wait. I'm confused. Gabel must be joking. Yeah. He wouldn't really tell me that.
to R_H_C_P:

i totally love the pups in my MIM too. it's over 10 at this point, and while i haven't had it the whole time, they sound great. and i dunno why jenny doesn't like the bridge...
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
so you going to buy a mex or a usa? if i were you id stick with a mex iv had mine for 2 years now and its good. how much are you willing to spend on one? you can get some good items on ebay probally
mine looks like your's except mines a bit darker then that and my neck is brown but yeah mex strats are good eh
Quote by tubab0y
to R_H_C_P:

i totally love the pups in my MIM too. it's over 10 at this point, and while i haven't had it the whole time, they sound great. and i dunno why jenny doesn't like the bridge...

i dont know tube never found a use for it. in fairness, i got my tube amps after i swapped out the pups, so maybe thru the right amp they would have sung for me.

i just like mine better now tho.
on right...

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

what do u mean silly? i dont really understand. anyway. strats jast a long time.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Page 1 of 2