How important is bass to a band? Some friends and I (one on drums and one on guitar) are playing a show at our school talent/ music type show and we dont have a bassist yet, and im nearly positive that we wont get one in time. Its in February.

So can you tell me how crucial a bassist is and how important the bass is in these songs:
Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
Thunderstruck - AC/DC
(We play classic rock if you havent already noticed)

Thanks in advance.
"A mini-fridge is a must for the practice area, it's more important than the bassist"
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
Quote by Metal-X
"A mini-fridge is a must for the practice area, it's more important than the bassist"

hey cool I have both! next to each other!

and yeah. bass is totally useless. take it from me, I'm a bassist. We understand that nobody likes us. it's okay.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
bass is only import if you have 1 guitar realy but some zeppelin songs jones plays keyboard
Good bass adds great a flavour to music, not to mention a bottom end. But that is good bass. Better to play without one than to have someone who doesn't know what he's doing. I have played, in a pinch, without a bassist, but I like the possibilities it brings to the table.
Quote by crazydiamond73
You, my friend, are a genius.
Always better to have a bassist.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
we have been without a bassist for a few months, and fine. Its a huge component to any band, but not a necessary one if the rest of you are tight
Quote by esther_mouse
...bingo. signaturisation. like burnination, only even more flamey.

Worth listening to
Quote by Voodoo_Chile42
Good bass adds great a flavour to music, not to mention a bottom end. But that is good bass. Better to play without one than to have someone who doesn't know what he's doing. I have played, in a pinch, without a bassist, but I like the possibilities it brings to the table.

Says The Phil Lesh guy (im a deadhead too)
Not Enough AssHatery
Either a good bassist, or no bassist.

If you're bassist sucks...everythign sounds terrible.

Basically - no one should notice the bassist until they stop playing.
A band isn't complete without bass.

Thunderstruck has an incredibly simple line, anyone can play it. I've never heard Black Dog though, so I can't give you a full opinion.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
Well, if the bassline is just following the guitar anyway than it's not that important considering how bad the sound usually is at school talent shows anyway.

BUT on the other hand, if you have bassline that's changing around the root note of the chords the guitars are doing then bass changes the ENTIRE FEEL of the song and is important like crazy.
Thanks for the replies.

For the people who have heard Black Dog and know about the bass in that song and all that, would you need a bass to make that song work good?
it isnt complete....but some bands can pull it off very well so go figure. i say bass isnt that important in nu metal bands where everything is tuned down anyway ya know? or really like if you have rythym thats tuned down, then youve got a guitar at normal tuning...then bass is pointless but if its one guitar then i would have bass