It can be either. But 99% of the time, it is a low B. The alternative is a high C, but that's relatively rare.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by Cliff Williams
Is the extra 5th string higher or lower?

Depends on how you string it, really.
are the strings B,E,A,D,G? like can you play any song u know from a 4 string using a a 5 string? and just not suing the top string(B)?
PTARMIGAN DUNE?
haha wudnt most people want to buy a 5 string then if it has an extra string? especially if they are writing there own stuff....
PTARMIGAN DUNE?
Quote by markr17
haha wudnt most people want to buy a 5 string then if it has an extra string? especially if they are writing there own stuff....

String spacing is an issue with some 5ers, and thats why slap bass can be difficult on some of them. Also, if you are used to a 4 string, your used to having an E string right in front of you. Lastly, the fifth string could be unecessary for your purposes.

Then again, there are some connotations that come across when you have a 5 string, but that doesn't matter too much now as they are getting very common.
Last edited by enzoslashslash at Jan 9, 2007,
Quote by enzoslashslash
Then again, there are some connotations that come across when you have a 5 string, but that doesn't matter too much now as they are getting very common.

...such as "5-string = Metal bassist" or "too lazy to drop-tune" or something like that. That's what I could think of, anyway. Enlighten me if I'm wrong.

The typical 5-string is BEADG, like everyone has been saying. There are some hold-outs who prefer the EADGC method, where the C is a high note. This is for a more melodic outfit and style of play, whereas a low B is more commonly used for a deeper rhythm note. Of course, you have to learn how to use that extra string effectively to warrant the need for it.

Personal preference has my low B set to an A.

Really though, 5-strings were made for one reason: More notes. To some players, more notes = more versatility. I play a 6-string for this reason, and I'm looking into a 7-string because of that reason and also to the fact that I am insane.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Last edited by graybass_20x6 at Jan 10, 2007,
yeah, i'm staying away form a 5er right now bc of the neck width

...and the lack of money.

Ibanez Soundgear 300 DX
Digitech BP 80
Ibanez SW 20 / Ampeg BA 115
Squire Affinity Strat
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by Charlatan_001
Wow this thread was really noob.

Wow that thread was really spam.

*munches on spam*
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by graybass_20x6
...such as "5-string = Metal bassist" or "too lazy to drop-tune" or something like that. That's what I could think of, anyway. Enlighten me if I'm wrong.

Yeah I was think more along the lines of "nu-metal", but you got the jist of it.
Personally I love my low B string. Say you wanted to play an E major scale. With a 5 string, you can much more easily. I love being able to move positions around and such, and some of the music I play (99% of the time being Metal) uses the Low B string. Overall, just adds to versatility, and almost eliminates the need to drop tune (unless you're Cannibal Corpse ).
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I love not detuning. The string doesn't get so loose and you can play more comfortable in one postion.
Bass is my life.
Quote by graybass_20x6

That or ska. I'm seriously looking to get a 5 string as my new bass for more notes. I'd rather finger than slap, but sometimes they add some better sound to songs. Then later I might consider a fretless for the sweet sliding and softer sound.