How would i go about putting a locking nut on a strat. I have a LFR for it.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
Pop out the current nut, cut the slot out for the locking nut, drill holes for the mounting screws, then install the nut.
O.K.,

I have replied to someone else in a different thread but here it goes again.

The bigest concern with a locking nut on a strat is if the nut shelf will fit on the neck. In most cases the locking nut that came with your knock off is too long - just hold it up to your current nut and you will see that on the peghead side, there will be nothing to support that end of the nut. You have to build up the area beneath it to bring it up to the same height, or it will look pretty hack (I have seen guitars that have a big open space there).

Installing the nut (ie making the nut shelf) is not too hard as long as you can use a router. Don't make this your first project if you have never used a router before or you will be very sorry. You don't have to take the neck off of the guitar to do this, but you will be clamping everything down, so make sure you use towels or something so you don't dent things up.

Assuming you can handle power tools here is how it works:

1. remove the old nut (you are now pretty much commited)

2. your router has a guide rim around the base where the blade comes out. Strap (clamp) a (dead straight) block of wood on top of your fretboard and position it so that the blade lines up with the current nut slot. I usually move my nuts up 1mm towards the first fret over stock, but that's another story. You may want to do a few test runs on some scrap wood so you are sure that you know how to set everything up correctly. The router blade should be the same length as the nut that you are installing.

** note if your guide block is not wider than your neck, be carefull you dont let the router take the corner at the end of the block. You are better off to use a block that is at least 2 router bits wider than your nut to prevent this.

3. Route your nut shelf, moving slowly taking off only small layers of wood at a time. Don't try cutting to full depth in one pass, or you will make a nasty mess. If the blade is not sharp enough, stop and get one that is. Don't route all the way to the truss rod, you should have an idea of the shelf depth before you start routing.

4. If you have over hang (not enough shelf), move the router back and use the correct size bit to level the shelf on the peg head side. You will then need to cut a block of maple, rosewood or whatever to bring this up to the same level as the rest of the shelf. Take your time and make it look good, don't gum everything up with glue. You may have to create a passage on the bottom of your piece for the truss rod access.

5. Re-check your nut height and adjust if necessary. If you have gone too deep, you will need to build up the shelf, so patince is key.

6. When you have nailed your nut height, pre drill the pilot holes for the nut screws and make it permanent.

7. Be carefull not to strip the threads off of the locks by over tightening them, quality of metal varies greatly on LFR's.

Hopefully you still have all of your fingers and can now enjoy your new found tuning stability.