Wat is an effects loop?
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
in short it is a send and a return on your amp with a volume switch.

Basically, instead of plugging into your delay pedal you would plug straight into your amp. Then you would plug the 'effects send' into the input of your delay pedal and you would plug the output of your delay pedal into the 'effects return'. Your amp will then send your guitar signal to the delay pedal and then the pedal will send the signal back to the amp. You can then adjust the amount of the delay that you want to hear by turning the volume of your effects loop up or down. This can be done with all kinds of pedals, not just delays.

Also, some amps have smart loops so that when you switch to a different channel on the amp it will activate one of the effects loops. This is very handy if for example you want to put a nice chorus on your clean channel but want it to shut off when you switch to your dirty channel, or vice versa.
o cool. thank you
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
Basically, what a FX loop does, is it puts effects between the pre- and poweramp. Some effects (like time based effects such as delay) sound better when they're put behind the pre-amp (so you'll get distortion first and then delay, instead of the distortion mucking up the delayed signal). Here a little schematic if you're confused:

Guitar -> Pre-amp -> Effects Send -> [effects go here] -> Effects Return -> Power Amp -> Loudpseaker
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Eddy (Plywood Stratocaster Copy)
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Marshall MG15 DFX with custom speaker
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Boss DS-1 (Keeley modded)
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
exemple of an amp with "smart loop" please??? That's interresting!
((( KoskineN )))

-ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe VHB
-Fender Telecaster Lite Ash
-Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo
-Fulltone Clyde Dlx, OCD, '69
-Boss BD-2, CE-5, DD-20, TU-2, RC-2
-MXR Phase 90 & EVH Flanger
-EHX Little Big Muff - Holy Grail - Micro POG
I have heard that MFX units sound better when put in the effects loop for basically the reason styxie gives above - you are bypassing the pre-amp.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
My rack mount Sonic Maximizer sounds 99% better through the effect loop. However, the wah sounds like shit. I just got a Big Muff in the mail today, would I want that in the effects loop?
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
I'd think it'd sound better in the normal jack if you're using it for a clean boost, but to tighten up an OD, it may sound better in the effects.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Quote by KoskineN

not called a "smart loop", but is what he's talking about. ie. Mesa Roadking
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by KoskineN

I'm not entirely sure that I explained it properly, but if you check out the Carvin V3 it has 2 smart loops. Read the page and watch the video demo for a better explanation.
I'm just wondering what is the price of the Mesa Roadster combo....it has this smart loop too...Did someone knows?
((( KoskineN )))

-ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe VHB
-Fender Telecaster Lite Ash
-Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo
-Fulltone Clyde Dlx, OCD, '69
-Boss BD-2, CE-5, DD-20, TU-2, RC-2
-MXR Phase 90 & EVH Flanger
-EHX Little Big Muff - Holy Grail - Micro POG
My guess would be an ass-load of $100 bills.

edit: upon further research, I have concluded that it is somewhere around the $2500 range. It would make for a great stocking stuffer or birthday gift for a friend.
Last edited by big crouton at Jan 10, 2007,