I am very interested in picking up a mandolin. Does anyone here play? and if you do, is it very difficult to learn?
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
They are hella expensive for the good mandolins, that all i kno.
well as I will be a beginner, I don't aim to buy a good one. just one to learn on.
I have a £150 Washburn mandolin I got a few months ago. Haven't had time to get to grips with it much but if you can play the guitar it's fairly easy to pick up (hard to master though). You seem to need a lot more pressure to fret the strings (might just be my cheap-ass mandolin...). It's an acoustic instrument to best comparable to an acoustic guitar rather than an electric one. It has 8 strings (in pairs of 2 so it's more like 4 strings) and it can be tuned in many ways but I have it in (one step down from) GDAE. It makes it pretty easy to play chords, tho some can be a pretty big stretch to play fully (I sometimes use shortened versions).
Depending on what type of music u want to play you might want to use fingerstyle (tho I still use a pick) and you'll need to practise on playing chords (for backing in a song) or just riffs (for playing lead melodies) or both (if you fancy a challenge).
There are pretty good websites out there, like UG, that can help u on ur way, especially when choosing ur type of mandolin. Just Google 'mandolin lessons' or 'beginner's mandolin'.
Originally posted by DatsunsRule
dogmeat, ah jeez, dumb as a post, twice as ugly.

Fender Cyclone, '72 Custom Tele
Squier Mod Jazz Bass, Strat
Ep Valve Jr, Fender FM
Boss DS1, OS2, OC2, GE7, LS2, RC2, Fender PT-100
Danelectro Reverb, Nobels TR-X
I picked up a cheap one that sounds really good for less than $100, I was really into it for a while, the right hand picking is very similar to guitar but the chords are very very cramped because both the strings and frets are very close to each other. My fingers are extemely long though so that might not be as much of a problem for you. But yeah, Mandolin's fun and the chords weren't too hard to learn I was able to figure out the system and make every kind of chord in every key except for min7b5 chords and the more "extended" extensions, you don't really need them in bluegrass music anyway. And an interesting thing is that it is strung like a guitar but backwards, in 5ths instead of 4ths, low to high G D A E, just like the lowest 4 strings of a guitar but upside down so you can make chords that aren't typical mando chords but are just upside down guitar chords, and it's easy to pluck out something funny like Enter Sandman or Immigrant Song by visualizing them upside down. It's fun and worth it and it makes your hands stronger, left and right!
Ukulele's are really fun too, they're strung like the highest 4 strings of a guitar but in regular order, D G B E. Really cool sound, beautiful accompaniment if you can sing, girls will melt, and even more than guitar because everybody plays the ****ing guitar and you will be different. It is a total breeze compared to the Mandolin also and you can get a surprisingly decent one for $40 at any guitar store.
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
Last edited by DaliLama at Jan 9, 2007,
Whatever u do tho, try the ukulele out before you buy one! I got one as well (about the same time as I got the mandolin) but it's a really cheap one and goes out of tune as you play it. Not good. It's practically useless. Don't tell me g/f tho cause she gave it to me :P

Ep Valve Jr, Fender FM
Quote by dogmeat
Whatever u do tho, try the ukulele out before you buy one! I got one as well (about the same time as I got the mandolin) but it's a really cheap one and goes out of tune as you play it.

That is true, the one I picked up from Guitar Center looks really cool, stays in tune and has a nice sound, but then when I tried to play a few at the little music shop where I work they were absolute shit! And NO ONE at ANY music store in my experience knows how to tune one so you can never know!
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
My mate had a really nice one, only a few bucks more than mine and it's pretty good. Even has a sweet leather case. That's what prompted me to get one. One of my other friend's step-dad has one too but it's cack like mine. Just made as a toy or to stick on your wall. Might want to make sure the wood it's made of is good quality (not just a sheet of ply-wood) and the tuners are made out of metal (not plastic).

Ep Valve Jr, Fender FM
alright, thanks for the info guys. I was watching a sweet Jethro Tull video earlier and Ian Anderson was playing the mandolin, so i got to thinking, "that can't be TOO difficult".

ill try one out at GC tomorrow when i'm there.

EDIT: a ukulele, eh? sounds intriguing. I will have to check those out too. I love playing uncommon instruments.
Last edited by Made Of Metal at Jan 10, 2007,
Quote by Made Of Metal
alright, thanks for the info guys. I was watching a sweet Jethro Tull video earlier and Ian Anderson was playing the mandolin, so i got to thinking, "that can't be TOO difficult".

ill try one out at GC tomorrow when i'm there.

EDIT: a ukulele, eh? sounds intriguing. I will have to check those out too. I love playing uncommon instruments.

ukuleles are great