Thanks, I just always worry because they always say guitar and acoustic and they never say it works for bass.
Bass is my life.
It's not a common thing to do, but it works allright.
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
the 57 is generally used for high volume micing. like horns and guitar amps. it'll certaily work for a bass but you really want to line a bass rig as you will loose most of your frequencies when micing. if you want the color of your cab then a mic 57 will do fine but i would only mic if i am also lining or have no choice.
Music is a language. Learn it well before you use it or you'll just sound stupid.
I have even used a 58 before. I think it works fine, but I wasn't really playing in a situation where the amp itself doesn't play loud enough to reach the audience. It was more for just giving a separate tone to what was being pumped out of the rig.
I would rather an SM58 for bass, simply because the 57 has a high presence lift, which is why it is used for things like snares If i was in a studio and someone said "pass me the snare mic" i would hand them a 57, as would most SE's.

Go for the 58, it's a good all round , cheap mic.

Enjoy
I'm looking for a mic for recording purposes because I've heard you get better quality with micing then going from the line out of the amp.
Bass is my life.
^ to be honest mate at bedroom-recording level it's not going to make much difference, and those mics are dirt cheap in the mic world. good mics cost a few grand, so you'll be fine just taking the line in. even in studios you'll find a lot of bass players go straight into the desk or into the compressor.