well if u bend your string and it goes out of tune either you need tog et now tuners or new strings, also do they feel sticky and have they turned black or orange? if so change them, and string ar elike 5 bucks so just change them.
Epiphone EJ-160E 6 string acoustic
Fender american highwayone sunburst strat
Art and Lutherie Cedar 12 string acoustic
Gibson (White) Les Paul Studio
VOX AC30CC
boss dd-3
ibanez ts-9
boss ce-5
mxr phase 90
bigshot aby
big muff pi
Because if you're not bending them or using a tremolo/vibrato bridge you're not really stressing the strings in such a way that they'd break. That and you must have decent ones to last that long.

Every so often there comes a point where it's a good idea to change strings even if you don't need to. Old strings get nasty black gunk built up on them and eventually the tone starts to suck.

But I really don't see the problem, it's saving you money having them last so long. When I first started I did bends and trem stuff like crazy and was replacing the strings constantly (every 2-3 weeks) now I got 2-3 months generally. Though my acoustic's had the same ones for a year, I should probably change those out, adjust the truss rod a bit, check the intonation and enjoy some fresh tone and improved action...

heh...

Anyway...
Well if there black they are done, go get new strings youll be much happier with new ones, its will also be easier to play.
VOX AC30CC
boss dd-3
ibanez ts-9
boss ce-5
mxr phase 90
bigshot aby
big muff pi
You've just gotten used to the sound of your old strings. You'll notice quite the difference if you change them.
geez, the string is black? Replace them. You should be able to bend a string without making it go out of tune. That's a huge sign.

By the way, does anyone notice when you get a brand new guitar the strings it came with last forever? Mine always last monthS without any noticible downsides
I know what you mean. the G string on my guitar is also black. I have a hard time convincing my dad you should change strings every 6 months or so. The Low E string has been on my guitar for two years since I replaced the other one and has been serving me well.
Rudy da Costa
Evrey 6 months?!!!! WOW, i change mine like every 3 weeks, but by then ill usually break one, soo,,, yeah buy new strings.
VOX AC30CC
boss dd-3
ibanez ts-9
boss ce-5
mxr phase 90
bigshot aby
big muff pi
This isn't totally related, but when a string breaks, or the strings are just generally old and worn out, should only the problematic strings be replaced or would it be better to just replace all of them?
Replace all of them. If you are playing shows all the time and you happen to break a string while on stage (providing you don't have a backup) then it is easier to replace just the broken one. I replace them all at the same time just to try and keep the tone the same. Old strings tend to sound duller than newer ones. Now I am in the habit of changing every 2-3 weeks regardless.
My god, you just don't realize that it's sounding bad because you got used ot it.

Use elixirs, 6 months average, can last longer, with minimal loss of tone
How long a string last depends on the amount of play, how hard you play, humidity, type, etc.

Do get new strings when they turn black though. They're only $5.

The strings that come on new guitars do seem to last a really long time. Bass strings last really long too. My acoustic is really the only one I replace the strings with any real consistency (about once every three weeks).
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
once the strings are black change them...they are horrible to play on
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"