so, i was listening to them and i've never seen a thread about them, so... here you go

on topic: dummy (yeah the album)

i was listening to glory box and i felt so involved by the sound, especially by beth gibbons vocal work and adrian utley guitar

discuss
I only have Dummy so far, and it's such a great album. Beth Gibbons voice sounds so sweet and fragile....
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
I'd probably put Glory Box in my top 5 of all-time greatest songs.
Quote by LKW
I'd probably put Glory Box in my top 5 of all-time greatest songs.

misteryons is pretty good too (first portishead song i heard)
i love prancing around naked in my house screaming "give me a reason........to beeeeeeeee.......a woman." portishead is some great stuff. trip hop is a neat genre.
Quote by mydadisjewish
i love prancing around naked in my house screaming "give me a reason........to beeeeeeeee.......a woman."

Wait till I post this in the Metal Chat Thread

Quote by mydadisjewish
i portishead is some great stuff. trip hop is a neat genre.

Agreed on both counts. Triphop is one of my fave genres.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by mydadisjewish
i love prancing around naked in my house screaming "give me a reason........to beeeeeeeee.......a woman." portishead is some great stuff. trip hop is a neat genre.

Portishead>baby seals

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I got the self-titled,.. and was really disappointed Nowhere near Dummy's legacy

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I can well imagine, so far the stuff I've heard off their s/t is nowhere near as good...

BUT THERE IS GOOD NEWS.... A THIRD ALBUM IS IN THE WORKS!

(Okay, it has been for ages, but stfu)
lol,.. yeah I'm definitely gonna pick it up, even if the s/t didn't do anything whatsoever for me

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Portishead are just plain awesome. If you like Portishead, check out Lamb.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Can ya post some recs in the Trip Hop thread? What albums should I look at first

and going back to the topic of Dummy, I'm blown away by the musicianship on that album every time... I mean, EVERY sound has been attended to like it's the main part of the song... The sound is very rich, and the production is excellent.

Portishead got their songwriting spot-on for Dummy.

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Last edited by Emenius Sleepus at Mar 29, 2007,
^Gotta agree on all that except the sound bit. IMO Portishead sound a tad skeletal, especially in comparison to Massive Attack's later stuff.
I've only heard MA's first three albums, so I can't really say... But I don't know, the way Dummy is put together just really impresses me

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
It's well put together alright, but IMO when you compare it to Mezzanine for example, at least in my opinion, it is not so diverse in sound and detailed. But that's okay, they're both great and they have different approaches - Portishead are more serene, emotional alternative with drum machines and samples, whereas Massive Attack are more like hip hop-inspired electronica. Also Portishead are more of a band, Massive Attack is more a loosely defined studio project.

But it's all good
lol I should learn not to argue with you in this genre lol...

jk but yeah that's well said

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
1. Portishead- Portishead

2. -!!- - All mine EP

3. -!!- Dummy

4. Sour times (nobody loves me) EP

5. Glory box EP

i adore them. Some of the favorite songs are Cowboys, All mine and the whole album Portishead is absolutely perfect..
like those lonely afternoons when you don`t have nothing better to do than wander around the house half naked, hungry to death but smoking cigars and drinking gin or rum tea ..hmmm nice. and watching the grey skies through the window.....
heh I only have the full lengths,.. I don't know, for some reason the self-titled didn't do anything for me. Dummy was so much more soulful and immediate imo

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Dummy is brilliant. I need to find some more artists like this.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
so give me a reason.....

so great, i can't describe it =)
світ втомився від вас
Quote by Muphin
Dummy is brilliant. I need to find some more artists like this.

The first Goldfrapp album is very similar and about equally amazing.
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"