In my English class, we are doing a debate on child abuse. The question is - should child abusers be punished more for their actions? The side I got put on is that they should not be punished more for what they do. What are some good arguments for not punishing child abusers more?
i think it depends on the abuser possibly the child abusers grew up not knowing anything else, like they were abused also. possibly a mental condition?
None. They should be punished. Unless they just smack their ass, Id hang them in my country. Ive heard stories of druggy moms grabbing their baby by the leg and slamming it into a wall over and over because it wouldnt stop crying. I say we punish them more.
you're gonna lose that debate. stop trying now.
Leader of The Mighty Powermetal Brethren. PM me to join.

ALL HAIL DYSTOPIA!!!

Angry Mob
ok i say punish them more also, i was just thinking of a way that it would deem as not exactly acceptable, but as less of an action and more of an impulse
Eh, give them the same charges as any other physical abuse. Maybe an added chemical to make sure they never reproduce again and child services..
What's to debate? It essentially assault, in some cases GBH.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
There are NO GOOD REASONS for them to NOT be punished more.

Those fuckers should be killed.
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by Liberation

Now, tell us a GOOD REASON for that? Hmm?
Quote by TimmyPage06
Now, tell us a GOOD REASON for that? Hmm?

It will eliminate that potential criminal, thus ridding us of any more harm he could have done.
I know this side of the debate is hard and my teacher knows it but she said it can be done. Thanks for the ideas. Any others?
It's an assault charge, you might as well argue that we shouldn't prosecute murderers or gang members.

Stop debating.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
The debate isn't that we shouldnt prosecute them, it's that we should not increase the punishment for child abusers.
Oh...'K...

Hmmm...Probably, methinks. If children get to have separate trials (as in decreased sentences and whatnot) when they get tried for a crime, something tells me it should transfer over to this situation.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
It's an assault charge, you might as well argue that we shouldn't prosecute murderers or gang members.
I say we stop prosecuting murderers
You could use the argument that jail time is enough punishment, because child abusers probably get treated just as bad, if not worse, than what they have done. Isn't it nice to see that even in a place full of criminals, there are still lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Seriously, I wouldn't want to be convicted of that shit, because everyone around you would treat you like shit. Prisoners, guards, anyone around. Then, if you decide to go straight while you're still in, your stuck in a group with a bunch of people in the same situation.
Quote by yawn
I say we stop prosecuting murderers

LEGALIZE MURDER!
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
why punish them?
School children washing cars for charity, is there anything more arousing?
Thanks for the replies, but could we stay a little more on topic? Thanks.
Quote by Vedder
why punish them?

WHAT?!?!

I knew you were an idiot for your manlove of that murderer fuck Dany Heatley, but I never knew you were THIS much of an idiot.

Why punish child abusers?! THEY FUCK UP KID'S LIVES! Sometimes they even RAPE them!

Fuck you!
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Quote by Liberation
WHAT?!?!

I knew you were an idiot for your manlove of that murderer fuck Dany Heatley, but I never knew you were THIS much of an idiot.

Why punish child abusers?! THEY FUCK UP KID'S LIVES! Sometimes they even RAPE them!

Fuck you!

keep the hockey in the hockey thread foo', but you know he tied hossa in goals right? right? right? (BTW if dan snyders parents can forgive him and cheer for him, i think you can get past it too) and clearly i was joking you retard. I believe they should be greatly punished.
School children washing cars for charity, is there anything more arousing?
Quote by Liberation

Apparently you've never gone to a restaurant, paid hard earned money for an expensive meal and had some asshat kid ruin the whole evening for you by crying.

Child abusers should not only be punished less, they should be praised and revered.

The next time you're in a store and some little 2 year-old brat cries because his mommy won't buy him candy and the parent does nothing: do the kid, and the rest of the store, a favour and smack him upside the head.
There isnt really a good debate there, for me they should be punished no matter what thier mental condition is they did it...they should pay for it.
Ummm... wtf? Of course child abusers should be punnished? Why should you not be punnished for endangering your childs saftey?

Obviously there is a line to be drawn between child abuse and discipline. You are supposed to punnish your kids when they do wrong. Why do you think the world is so full of immature bratty little bastard emos now adays? They don't get punnished or put to work.
If you really need help trying to find an edge for your debate then I suggest you do some research into the current penalties in your area. Find out what the minimum sentence is for a first time offender and then try to argue that it's harsh.

Take your class and put them into the perspective of a stressed out parent. Someone who works 10 hours / day 6 days / week and has 2 kids to take care of. You want to get them to sympathize with a first time offender. Someone who was driven over the edge and snapped. Someone who only intended to spank his son but ended up giving him a massive bruise that his teachers found out when he couldn't sit down in class and the father ended up getting 10 years or something.

You want them to forget about repeat offenders and molestors. Show them how one mistake can completely ruin a parent's life. Cite real life examples if you can.
For Fuck's Sake...

No one, including the threadstarter, is suggesting that child molesters should not be punished. Apparently you people can't read.

Anyway, what kind of punishment do you perceive they're already receiving. One of the things you could argue is that there are all levels and types of "child abuse," so that uniformly increasing the punishment becomes arbitrary, capricious and unjust punishment. Besides, people who beat their children to death or rape them or do some of the other things that the knee jerk reactionaries in here have been saying are guilty of far more than just "child abuse" and will be punished accordingly.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by sgodd23
The debate isn't that we shouldnt prosecute them, it's that we should not increase the punishment for child abusers.

You've been given an impossible task, I cannot think of any good reason to not punish child abusers more.

I read an article today about a guy who categorically abused his 2 daughters for 4 years and assaulted a babysitter and got 4 and a half fucking years.

EDIT: Apart from garett's post. Do what he said.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
i believe you should be able to spank your and such, but i do also believe there is a fine line between that and unessicary abuse
Quote by dogfennell
Whats a "liemthe guy?"
bring back the death penalty

if your dumb enough to get caught

then your dumb enough to get hung for it
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Alright. For my debate, I have to prepare two sets of questions. Each set has to be one kind of area of the debate that I will ask the other side to try and answer. What two main arguments should I use?