ok... i dont wanna say im looking to record... cause im not going for the whole studio effect... i just was wanting to record off my amp and to my laptop.

basically... the way im understanding this is my laptop has a fair soundcard (whatever dell put in it when i asked for something better than the norm lol), and i downloaded audacity, so by pluging a stereo cable into a line in adapter, and puting the line in in my amps headphone jack and the stereo end into my computer's mic port i should be good to go right?

im not really aiming to have studio quality recording... just something that actually sounds like my guitar playing would be nice
quick answer...no...does your amp have an external speaker jack?...if so ur still gonna need to buy a di box to run the leads through...ur bets option is some dodgy $10 mic into ur comps mic jack, the jsut sit it infront of your amp at about 30cm away
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
NONONONONONONONNONONON

DO NOT PLUG INTO THE EXTERNAL SPEAKER OUT

The signal on the external speaker out is going to be powered by the poweramp to be run into a speaker cab, you will probably end up blowing something, or hurting your ears. You had the right idea plug headphone out into the mic or line in of your computer and your on your way, my suggestion is to go line vs mic.
^^agreed. External speaker out is higher voltage designed to move speaker cones. Your computer's soundcard is not designed for that kind of signal. You will blow something. Don't ever plug anything into the speaker out other than a speaker.

Also don't use mic in. You have an amp, so the only thing you're interested in is Line-In on your laptop's soundcard. Use the Line-out of your amp if you have one. If not, then use the headphones out, but keep in mind it's also designed to move speaker cones - just really little ones. So the signal will be a bit hot, but nothing like the external speaker out.

Here's where everybody screws up... Your computer's soundcard in is 1/8" stereo. Your amp's line-out will most likely be 1/4" mono. Your headphones out will most likely be 1/4" stereo. So, in short, keep track of what is stereo and what is mono and use the correct adapters when necessary. You wouldn't believe how people screw this up and get frustrated trying to figure out what's going wrong.
k im alil on the confused side here now... so ill be as specific as i can be in hopes this will clear up some of this:

i have a peavy rage 185.... basic lil shoebox... i have a stereo to line in converter i use to put headphones to said amp...said headphones are connected to a line-out marked "HEADPHONES"... i have a stereo to stereo link cable thingy (what you use to connect a CD Player to the Mic port of a comp) i was wondering about puting said cable into the converter that goes to the headphones thing...

way im reading this.... my headphones shouldof exploded :X

sorry for basically being retarded here guys lol i really really appreciate you taking the time to explain all this
Ok, now you're confusing the hell out of me. Stereo to line in converter?? It has headphones out, why would you need to do anything other than plug them in? I don't understand that part.

Anyway, I looked up your amp. That's not a CD output to your computer. That's a CD input. So you can hook up a CD player to your amp and play along with it or something.

So, just run a stereo cable from your amp's headphones out (without any converter or anything) to your computer's line-in. You may need a little 1/4" stereo to 1/8" stereo adapter on one end. And that's it. If you still want to use your headphones, then plug them into your computer and monitor that way.
Quote by ParanoiaMusic
Ok, now you're confusing the hell out of me. Stereo to line in converter?? It has headphones out, why would you need to do anything other than plug them in? I don't understand that part.

Anyway, I looked up your amp. That's not a CD output to your computer. That's a CD input. So you can hook up a CD player to your amp and play along with it or something.

So, just run a stereo cable from your amp's headphones out (without any converter or anything) to your computer's line-in. You may need a little 1/4" stereo to 1/8" stereo adapter on one end. And that's it. If you still want to use your headphones, then plug them into your computer and monitor that way.

LOL sorry man but you just made sense...thanks alot.... i guess im saying everything wrong... eh... im a n00b.... really appreciate your help and ill let you guys know how it turns out when i try it. thanks again
Quote by mp3stalin
LOL sorry man but you just made sense...thanks alot

No problem. Write some hit songs and get famous...
The only way you'd blow something is if you used the external speaker out which basically be an output from the poweramp which is high voltage. The headphone out is going to be a lot lower voltage than that and won't be a problem. Don't use your mic input, because the mic input will boost the usually low signal of a microphone, and your guitar input should be loud enough already and also won't inherit the noise that the microphone input often adds to line signals.
k after messing around on it for a bit it seems to work great.

only thing is... i tested using distortion... and my soundcard IMMEDIATELY went down... i rebooted and everything is fine though... seems that it's ok to go from the amp clean... but the best thing to do is straight from the guitar to the comp...

and once again... thanks alot guys your advice was really really helpful .
Do you have a separate volume control for your distortion channel? My Marshal is like that. The clean channel is separate from the dirty channel so one can be set considerably louder than the other. Just drop the volume to zero and slowly work up.
Read the stickies!
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by ParanoiaMusic
Do you have a separate volume control for your distortion channel? My Marshal is like that. The clean channel is separate from the dirty channel so one can be set considerably louder than the other. Just drop the volume to zero and slowly work up.

yeah that's how it is... but i had it really low anyway... i read on a article i found that i should go through a pedal to it. i figure the amp was putting to much power into the card or something...
Quote by mp3stalin
yeah that's how it is... but i had it really low anyway... i read on a article i found that i should go through a pedal to it. i figure the amp was putting to much power into the card or something...

Well, if you're going into the mic in on your card, then yes. But you should be going into the line in. If you don't have one, then it's not going to matter what you use because the mic in is for "low" level signals, typically with a lot of impedance and the pedal, as well as your amp are going to output at least "line" level signals. These signals easily overload a mic input, so you need an input designed for it, a line in.