i was thinking about stripping the paint off my drums then putting a laquer coat over them, but i dont want to mess them up
i know of people who have done this before, and i was wondering if any of you have done it or know people who have done it.

a link to instructions would be appreciated, i dont mind drummer jokes either, but try to keep them to a minimum, cuz i know there coming.
Quote by Bmm386
"I cut my own penis off and ate it"

pinkowitz.net - another /b/ forum (help it grow)
I'm a guitarist...I don't know any drummer jokes. Maybe I'll learn some now.
What's up?
Quote by HPLoveCraft
I'm a guitarist...I don't know any drummer jokes. Maybe I'll learn some now.

thats a very helpful first post ololololool
Quote by Bmm386

how bout this one: How many bass players does it take to screw in a light bulb? None the piano player can do it with his left hand. Haha, just messin witcha. Really though you should ask a friend who took wood shop. Seriously.
Quote by astrocreep71
how bout this one: How many bass players does it take to screw in a light bulb? None the piano player can do it with his left hand. Haha, just messin witcha. Really though you should ask a friend who took wood shop. Seriously.

mhhmm

i dont know any people in wood shop
we dont even have a wood shop
Quote by Bmm386

well most drum kits don't have paint, they are wrapped in a shiny plastic layer, so if you feel around the shell, you should likely find the end of this, and you could peel it off, after removing the lugs. as far as i know, and as far as my drummer/ cousin has told me, only very expencive drum kits, (such as DW custom kits) are painted or stained. i also believe the plastic wrap provides some sort of support to the shell. these are just some things to thnk about, and i would definately ask someone who knows more than i do, i'm just kinda throwing this out there.

EDIT: and, the wood that your kit is made out of might not look good with no cover, i'd check by looking at the bare inside of the wood shell to make sure you'd find it attractive in the first place.
Quote by freedumb
well most drum kits don't have paint, they are wrapped in a shiny plastic layer, so if you feel around the shell, you should likely find the end of this, and you could peel it off, after removing the lugs. as far as i know, and as far as my drummer/ cousin has told me, only very expencive drum kits, (such as DW custom kits) are painted or stained. i also believe the plastic wrap provides some sort of support to the shell. these are just some things to thnk about, and i would definately ask someone who knows more than i do, i'm just kinda throwing this out there.

yeh thanks
i was thinking that
i wouldnt want to pull of the plastic then figure out therre a seam being held together by it

(it does have a pvc type shell around it)

edit: i could always stain it
Quote by Bmm386

There is certainly a seem on your drums. They are made depending on quality with about 5 to 7 layers of very thin veneer (thin slices of wood) and you need to be very carefull with sanding or using stripper on the veneer.

If they are painted or have a solid cover like plastic or vinyl the wood underneath probably would not be good for staining.

If you really want to do it go to a pawn shop or find a really cheap drum and practice first. Good luck
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Quote by halfstacked
There is certainly a seem on your drums. They are made depending on quality with about 5 to 7 layers of very thin veneer (thin slices of wood) and you need to be very carefull with sanding or using stripper on the veneer.

If they are painted or have a solid cover like plastic or vinyl the wood underneath probably would not be good for staining.

If you really want to do it go to a pawn shop or find a really cheap drum and practice first. Good luck

thanks dude
ill keep that in mind
i saw another guy do it, and i hat the black finish on my drums
Quote by Bmm386

Ok I'm sorry my first post wasn't helpful so here. www.chacha.com And no it's not a joke those people are seriously helpful if you don't send them on wild goose chases or call them bitches.
What's up?
Quote by HPLoveCraft
Ok I'm sorry my first post wasn't helpful so here. www.chacha.com And no it's not a joke those people are seriously helpful if you don't send them on wild goose chases or call them bitches.

i was just kidding
and i dont trust that for some reason
Quote by Bmm386

Because you left it open to drum jokes, here's my favorite:

What did the drummer say before he was kicked out of the band?

"Hey guys, listen to this new song I wrote!"

I have nothing productive to add...
<ter> quote me!
<alex> dont quote ter

<Barry> joe striani? is that the guy from the who?

Top Samurai of UG's Unofficial MST3K fan club, PM tossup to join

Quote by ss311
10/10 you gloriously peculiar chatter Voltan rocks.

Quote by deluxity
that's hot voltan
Because you left it open to drum jokes, here's my favorite:

What did the drummer say before he was kicked out of the band?

"Hey guys, listen to this new song I wrote!"

I have nothing productive to add...
heard it a bajillion times...

as a matter of fact, i think i saw you tell it earlier...
Quote by Bmm386

Quote by antoniobanderas
heard it a bajillion times...

as a matter of fact, i think i saw you tell it earlier...

Well...It is my favorite drummer joke.
<ter> quote me!
<alex> dont quote ter

<Barry> joe striani? is that the guy from the who?

Top Samurai of UG's Unofficial MST3K fan club, PM tossup to join

Quote by ss311
10/10 you gloriously peculiar chatter Voltan rocks.

Quote by deluxity
that's hot voltan
hmmmm, this prob isnt what youre lookin for, but maybe you could just mask off some areas and make an EVH style painted drumset... paint over the plastic you know.... ive never seen an evh drumset before.. (edit. evh= eddie van halen)
Quote by TonyRandall
hmmmm, this prob isnt what youre lookin for, but maybe you could just mask off some areas and make an EVH style painted drumset... paint over the plastic you know.... ive never seen an evh drumset before.. (edit. evh= eddie van halen)

i understood evh, but laquering the drums makes them sound better, and im going for like a natural look, but thanks for the idea
Quote by Bmm386

Quote by TonyRandall
no problem

and thats true...
what brand are your drums?

starion
Quote by Bmm386