im 15 and im not in a band but i have played guitar for about 2 1/2 years now and i'm looking for something simple to record my music. just to keep track of what i have written (i write quite often) so i dont lose those brilliant riffs forever. i am very new to recording and dont really know what to look for so i am looking for some advice.

do ya'll have any product suggestions?

thanks in advance,
LesPaul
"I sorta don't trust anyone who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"
-Jack White
uh, get some cheap cable that will either go straight from your guitar to your mic slot in the computer, or a mic with a cable and plug it straight int your computer. you can find those cheap.
A tape deck from Wal-Mart. Or the voice recorder on your cell phone.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Forget the tape deck or voicemail. Just get a cable to go from the line-out or phones of your amp into your soundcard's line-in. That will be super easy, and you can record all you want. Maybe download Audacity, since it's free. You could use your windows sound recorder, but I think it has a 1 minute maximum. Or, at least it used to. Anyway this will cost you about 2 dollars total.

I suggest dating your recordings in the file name. I have tons of stuff dating back over ten years. It's funny listening to yourself a decade later - laughing at yourself is more like it. But there are some little gems here and there and you can revive them into something really cool.
But the line in to sound card doesn't give you that natural lo-fi sound that everyone is craving!
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.