many people tell me that i need to stop using tabs and its a bad habit and so on, so ima try to learn all the chords so i dont have to use tabs anymore

what are the chords for every fret, like o= e i think and 3= g and so on? i couldnt find it in the lesson page so please help
you want to learn all the chords? not gonna happen... do you know the open chords yet?

this is a great site for looking up any chord
www.chordfind.com
basically just learn the open a-g, minors, then barred
hahahahahaha

chord find is sweet.
better_than_you wrote:

"UH OH! They are MAIN STREAM!! Well I gotta throw all their cds out the window and burn all my shirts. damn."

you people are ridiculous. you people are the sell outs.
Quote by HeyWatchOut
many people tell me that i need to stop using tabs and its a bad habit and so on, so ima try to learn all the chords so i dont have to use tabs anymore

what are the chords for every fret, like o= e i think and 3= g and so on? i couldnt find it in the lesson page so please help

and i'm not exactly sure what you mean by o=e and 3=g...are you just talking about power chords?
i think he means the bass note of open chords... but yeah. open chords don't go all the way up the fretboard, then it turns into barre chords.
better_than_you wrote:

"UH OH! They are MAIN STREAM!! Well I gotta throw all their cds out the window and burn all my shirts. damn."

you people are ridiculous. you people are the sell outs.
how the hell are you gonna learn a solo by using chords? sure its good to know alot of chords (its almost impossible to learn em all) , but chords are no replacement for tabs. Whoever told you that using tabs is a bad habit should be shot because they are a guitar knowitall wannabe.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Tabs aren't bad to learn, but you should definatley start out learning your basic open chords:

C
D
E
Em
G
A
Am

Then once you can play them accuratley you should move on to using tabs. After a little while you'll get much better at playing in general and you'll learna tonne more chords (as barre chords). However, tabs can be very inaccurate and therefore, are highly frowned upon by trained musicians.

I say: use tabs until you no longer need them.
use the caged system basic chord shapeds then bar them 3rd 5th 7th 10th fret in the caged order try to learn minor major 7th and all others diminished augmented, there is a lesson on ug about it realy easy and is so helpful.
Whoever told you to stop reading tabs, I dont think they meant learn chords instead.
Most people say to not read tabs but read sheet music, i think thats what he/she meant.
its a good skill to have, notation.
Using tabs isn't a bad habit... Are you saying that you want to learn to read sheet music??
Quote by breadstick
how the hell are you gonna learn a solo by using chords? sure its good to know alot of chords (its almost impossible to learn em all) , but chords are no replacement for tabs. Whoever told you that using tabs is a bad habit should be shot because they are a guitar knowitall wannabe.

Hey buddy. Well you arent going to learn a solo by using chords. You are right on that. But, you say that chords are no replacement for tabs. You couldnt be farther from the truth there. Quite frankly tabs are not that great of a thing. Sure I have used tons of them to learn songs, but you reach a point where learning songs does shit all for your playing. This is where CHORDS and IMPROVISATION come in. Without chords, you cannot have a song. And if you ever wanted to improvise, you need chords to play over. Also, standard notation is way better than tab. You should learn it eh. And not just play other people music and be a dick to others.

Ok now threadstarter, try to learn most (you will never learn all) of the major chords to start off with. From there learn some minor chords and just keep learning. It will take time, and work, but you will learn many. Make sure you remember then and what not. Thats why its best to take it slow.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by sully111
use the caged system basic chord shapeds then bar them 3rd 5th 7th 10th fret in the caged order try to learn minor major 7th and all others diminished augmented, there is a lesson on ug about it realy easy and is so helpful.

If he's starting out, barre chords are probably going to be exceedingly difficult though...
You guys, he didn't mean chords. look what he said: zero(as in the open string) is an E, the 3rd fret is a G. He means learn to read sheet music, if you think you need to learn that because people tell you that then you're just following their word. It is good to know how, but really it depends on the kind of music you play.

Barely any metal guitarists/bassists read sheet music. Some know how to, but it's just easier with tabs.
Quote by breadstick

thank you breadstick, you are jesus
i think he mixed up his terminology, i believe that he wants to figure out all the notes on the neck - with that in mind, search for fretboard warrior
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
It really takes practice, time, and repetition of playing the notes and thinking "okay this is a Bb" to remember what your doing.
i know the open chords already, i just want to know what each fret is called like the 3rd fret is G
Quote by axe_grinder247
i think he mixed up his terminology, i believe that he wants to figure out all the notes on the neck - with that in mind, search for fretboard warrior

thank u ur the only one that got it
Quote by HeyWatchOut
i know the open chords already, i just want to know what each fret is called like the 3rd fret is G

Well, dude, maybe you should learn how notes work....

C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C
From C to D, it's two steps. On a guitar, it would be two frets.
D to E, two steps.
E to F is one step.
F to G is two steps.
G to A is two steps.
A to B is two steps.
B to C is one step.