what are some good acoustic strings that wont get all cruddy after 2 weeks? I've got a beautiful Breedlove AC-25SM and it desperately needs new strings. I have martin MSP4050 S on there now and they sounded good for a little while but quickly crudded up. Before that I had d'addario lights, they were okay. I dont play my acoustic all that much these days, just occasionally and I want it to sound good when I pick it up. Its just sitting there that causes gunky film to build up. I know elixirs stay good for a long time, but those nanoweb strings sound kind of crappy really. I dont like them. Any suggestions?
This may sound dumb, but my bassist strung his acoustic guitar with ernie ball lights and it sounded really good and played much easier than bronze strings that I have been used to all my life. I dont play acoustic much, so I dont know about what people use, but I was able to make it sound great while having a similar feel to an electric guitar.
I would go for Martin SP's. If you have the chops, I would go for a heavy gauge, too.
I use Ernie Ball Acoustic Slinkys. They get a bit dirty after awhile, but i coubt you could find a se t of strings that wouldnt.
One way to keep your guitar and strings preserved a little better is putting in its hardcase, it will protect it form most of the moisture which will prevent decay!

But if you dont play your acoustic much, and expect the strings to be in perfect condition when you decide to pick it up. I wouldnt get your hopes up =)
Elixirs are good for me. I use the nanoweb but the polywebs are good too. I have also heard theD'Addario EXP's are good too.
My Gear:
Gibson SG special (W/ S.D. Jazz(N) & JB (B))
Mesa-Boogie Solo Triple Rec. (with EL-34's)
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner
(what else do i need)

Where i work:
www.beanstalkmusic.com
Quote by mtrilus
I would go for Martin SP's. If you have the chops, I would go for a heavy gauge, too.

i was using SPs... custom lights. I dont like to use strings that are too heavy because I bend a good amount and that becomes almost impossible. I've heard string cleaner works and keeps more resistant to crap.

...Yeah I should really keep it in the case too since I dont play it that much anymore.
Elixir have a really nice Teflon type coating, and a very popular with professionals, and are claimed to last 4 times longer than usual strings, thats why they are a tad dearer.

I have used tonnes of different brands over the last 20 years, and these are the best by far. IMHO

Elixir Strings
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Last edited by DJaye at Jan 10, 2007,
Quote by DJaye
Elixir have a really nice Teflon type coating, and a very popular professional, and are claimed to last 4 times longer than usual strings, thats why they are a tad dearer.

I have used tonnes of different brands over the last 20 years, and these are the best by far. IMHO

Elixir

lol... thanks for that link. i'll keep that in mind. please click it, hahahaha

okay yeah I was thinking I may have to turn to the elixirs. they dont sound as good to me as martin SPs or even the d'addarios but after a few weeks they have the advantage definitely because they resist the crud so well. is it the nanoweb or polyweb thats better or lasts longer? whats the diff?
i string my acoustic with electric guitar strings, nice sound and easier to play. FYA!
Quote by IROBOTInferno
Dumbass that is a classical guitar, use nylon strings or the neck will crack... and not the kind you were smoking when you wrote this.
Martin SPs are hands down the best acoustic strings ever made.

The only thing close when it comes to sound are SIT's (stay in tune...I forget who they're made by), but the high e and b string don't quite get to the tonal orgasm that are SP's.

The coated strings typically suck. Try using string cleaner after you're finished playing. I've heard good things about the GHS lube...as long as you get the stick kind, not the spray kind (I think).

^my response to your other thread.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Here's the list of Luthiers that install Elixir Strings at the Factory. You will notice it is all the high end companies. That Says it all, I think.

Alvarez/Yairi
Blade
Boucher Guitars
Brian Moore
CA
Carvin
Cole Clark
Ibanez
James Goodall
Lag
Lakewood
Legend
Lowden Guitars
Maton
Moon Guitars
Rain Song
RKS Guitars
Ruokangas
Santa Cruz
Schecter
Tanglewood
Taylor
Tom Anderson

. . . . and some of the Artists

* Lucas Reynolds
* Keller Williams
* Keith Moseley
* Jedd Hughes
* Nickel Creek
* Christopher Cross
* Geoff Byrd
* Catie Curtis
* George Marinelli

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

Quote by andrew7667
Martin SPs are hands down the best acoustic strings ever made.
. . . . .

The coated strings typically suck. Try using string cleaner after you're finished playing. I've heard good things about the GHS lube...as long as you get the stick kind, not the spray kind (I think)

pfffft

How long you been playing guitar for, blow-in?

You recommend the spray on crap, yet you bag a Nanoweb Coating. Makes a lot of sense

Really lovely spraying lube all over the rosewood fretboard. Not to mention clog up your strings, and change its resonance. Only crappy strings need lubing, why not get something quality to begin with.

Quote by tasty licks
I know elixirs stay good for a long time, but those nanoweb strings sound kind of crappy really. I dont like them.

ditto. elixirs are great strings and all, but i don't like the way they sound. if you liked the way your d'addarios sounded, go for the d'addario exp's. they are coated like elixir so they last 3-4 times longer than traditional strings, but there is a difference in the way they are coated compared to elixirs. elixirs have the coating applied after the string is wound around it's center. d'addarios have the coating applied to the wound part of the string prior to it being wound around it's center. because of this, i much prefer the way d'addario exp's feel over elixirs. they last just as long as elixirs but sound and feel much better, imo. give them a try. i don't think you'll be dissapointed based on what you've already said.
I just recently tried out the EXP's. Amazing Strings. Suprisingly, the owner of the store told me that Elixir actually buys their strings from D'Addario. He said that Elixir strings have the wire put around right away, then they dip it in the coating, but with D'Addario's they first dip the wire in the coating, then wrap it around. It prevents from inside corrosion or w/e. To me, i think Elixir's and EXP's sound EXACTLY the same, but its all good.

P.S. Only bad part is that they are hella expensive.

EDIT

haha sorry, i didnt know that the post above me stated the same thing haha
^--

that's interesting about elixir buying their strings from d'addario. i've never heard that before. i think i'll have to investigate!
Quote by Matic
I just recently tried out the EXP's. Amazing Strings. Suprisingly, the owner of the store told me that Elixir actually buys their strings from D'Addario. He said that Elixir strings have the wire put around right away, then they dip it in the coating, but with D'Addario's they first dip the wire in the coating, then wrap it around. It prevents from inside corrosion or w/e. To me, i think Elixir's and EXP's sound EXACTLY the same, but its all good.

P.S. Only bad part is that they are hella expensive.

EDIT

haha sorry, i didnt know that the post above me stated the same thing haha

Regarding coating, and I could have this the wrong way around, but, strings that are dipped into the solution are "Polyweb" coated, and the other is "Nanoweb". Which ELixir sells both.

That D'addario gossip is interesting, I might look into it too

^-- i could also be wrong... but i thought that polyweb and nanoweb are nothing more than elixirs "model" names for their strings. i thought that both the nanowebs and the polywebs were coated after they were wrapped. i thought that the difference between the two was that the newer nanowebs are supposed to have a really thin coating compared to the polywebs.

notice all those sentences start with "i thought." does anyone know for sure about the differences in the two strings?
Quote by jimtaka
^-- i could also be wrong... but i thought that polyweb and nanoweb are nothing more than elixirs "model" names for their strings. i thought that both the nanowebs and the polywebs were coated after they were wrapped. i thought that the difference between the two was that the newer nanowebs are supposed to have a really thin coating compared to the polywebs.

notice all those sentences start with "i thought." does anyone know for sure about the differences in the two strings?

You could very well be right. It was just something I heard somewhere, not based on any truth.