In a couple weeks, I'm moving, and I have to take my guitar on a plane. One of my friends told me that putting the guitar with the other luggage is bad because there is moisture which will warp the neck. So I should take that on board with me. But what about my laptop? That would break if I put it in cargo. Is what my friend said about the guitar thing true? And if so, any suggestions on what I can do (please tell me from experience because you dont know for sure)?
erm... i dont think ur laptop would break, and even if u do take it, couldnt u have it on ur lap all the time? and then if u sleep put it in the pocket of the person in fronts chair. as for the guitar, ive heard u should unwind the strings when flying.
i wouldnt worry about the moisture... as much as the banging around ur gonna have... it might be easier to ship either your laptop or your guitar to the place your moving to... although more expensive... you'd be more gaurenteed it wouldnt get ruined, especially if you package it well enough... especially considering... luggage handlers do not give 2 shits about your luggage... i can gaurentee you that
i think that if you use a good case it'd be fine. but i think that you should take it with you
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by doomnight
erm... i dont think ur laptop would break, and even if u do take it, couldnt u have it on ur lap all the time? and then if u sleep put it in the pocket of the person in fronts chair. as for the guitar, ive heard u should unwind the strings when flying.

The problem is that carry-on is limited to 1 item per person. which means maybe someone will do me an amazing favor, but i doubt it since most people will have their laptops too.
Pfft, don't bring your guitar on the plane. The snakes will fuck it up.
<ter> quote me!
<alex> dont quote ter

<Barry> joe striani? is that the guy from the who?

Top Samurai of UG's Unofficial MST3K fan club, PM tossup to join

Quote by ss311
10/10 you gloriously peculiar chatter Voltan rocks.

Quote by deluxity
that's hot voltan
Quote by urik
i think that if you use a good case it'd be fine. but i think that you should take it with you

Its a hardshell. Im thinking of maybe de-stringing it and wrapping it wit bubble wrap. but i really dont know.
It's no problem. I have brought my acoustic guitar from Chicago to LA and back a few times in a cheap cheap acoustic case protected only with T-shirts and it was fine. You'll be alright.
I took my Les Paul back on a plane in a bag and it was fine - I'd say detune the strings a lot so they won't snap when the pressure changes, but besides that you don't have to worry.

Just make sure you carry it on - wouldn't trust baggage handlers with it
You can buy a flight-grade case. You can also pay an upgrade to have your luggage put in a 'special area' that is not in the cargo hold, but that is only on some airlines.
Just carry the guitar on with you and they will check it at the bottom of the plane as you walk on, and bring it up to you when you walk off the plane. I brought my Fender Jazzmaster from Houston to Virginia on a plane in a cheap soft case and everything was fine. Just make sure to tune the strings down quite a bit, as the temperature does get down to -20F at times. Everything should be fine, don't sweat it.
Quote by stringmagician
It's no problem. I have brought my acoustic guitar from Chicago to LA and back a few times in a cheap cheap acoustic case protected only with T-shirts and it was fine. You'll be alright.

Yeah but Im flying from LA to Israel, much longer flight. And was the acoustic in the cargo?
Definitely detune it, put it in a hard case, wrap it in towels or t shirts or something, put fragile stickers on the case, and maybe get travel insurance.

my sis took her guitar with us when we went around the world. it was in a hard case and had fragile stickers all over it, but that didn't stop the baggage handlers at LAX from kicking it along the ground and standing it upside down on the guitars head. When she got to the next stop, the neck was broken. We had travel insurance though, so she got money for it and was able to buy a new one, but it was a bit of a hassle.
What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet? I'll answer for you. NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS.
- Bill Hicks
Quote by nirvana4lf
Yeah but Im flying from LA to Israel, much longer flight. And was the acoustic in the cargo?

Yea, I meant to say it was in cargo.

A flight from LA to Isreal is a lot longer, with more climate changes. You can have more than one carryon at LAX can't you? Maybe it's different for international flights. Anyway, you might want to bring it with you in that case. And as said before, loosen the strings.
If you're realy woried ship it. It'll cost you, but at least you'll know that your guitar is safe.

Off topic: Coming to Isreal eh?
Quote by nirvana4lf
But what about my laptop? That would break if I put it in cargo

I've experienced the same usually i put my laptop's bag under my seat and my practice amp in the overhead and i keep my bass beside me " window seat"
I've done 3 trips to the USA and haven't had a problem, as long as you consider the following points:

Tell them you want it put in the PCH (Pressurized Cargo Hold) It's where they put animals and other living things. It is only subjected to about 6 Atmospheres (same as the passenger cabin), and is not sublect to dramatic temperature changes, but it still will get cold.

As someone said, detune your guitar, but NOT a lot. The neck still needs some tension, after all, thats what its designed for.

DO NOT use a humidifier

Finally, once you have landed, leave the guitar in its case for 24 - 48 hours so it can gently acclimate to the surrounding temperature again

Also, you won't be able take it on as carry-on luggage coz its too big.

Hope this helps
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Quote by Hells_Bell
If you're realy woried ship it. It'll cost you, but at least you'll know that your guitar is safe.

Off topic: Coming to Isreal eh?

Yeah im moving there for 4 months. 2nd semester abroad basically.

Thanks to all who helped me.
make sure you ship it as "fragile".

seriously though, it'll be fine in the hold, i took my acoustic to spain on a guitar a while ago and it was perfectly ok.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
you could negotiate about buying a seat for it?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Oh, your'e the dude who PM'd me a couple of months ago, right?

anyway, I managed to get on the plane the electric guitar, to a flight from Chicago to Israel. and there was another girl on that flight with a hard guitar case.
I think it'll be just fine. dont worry about it.
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
get a hardshell guitar case put your guitar in it and fill in the empty spaces with t shirts or socks or something soft, then check your bags and check the guitar with them, although stick one or two fragile stickers on it or you will be ****ed, I'm not quite sure but if you speak with the people at the airline counter they can help you out to send it on a different cargo area than all the luggage.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Get one of the hard guitar cases, not one of the ones that are like backpacks or something for your guitar.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Quote by Archaon
"Guitars on a Plane"
Starring nirvana4lf and Yngwie Malmsteen.

MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by Archaon
"Guitars on a Plane"
Starring nirvana4lf and Yngwie Malmsteen.

lol thanks. i dont think i could handle such an ego.
I know a guy who's guitar was destroyed on a flight from Calgary to Montreal. It was a beautiful 12 string. I'd ship it if I were you.
i don't know about anywhere else but at the moment in England you're not allowed items much bigger than a laptop bag as hand luggage i think.
Bono: "Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies."

Audience member: "Well, f*cking stop it then!"
for the laptop, put it in the bag that goes with you.

As for guitar: Hardshell case, put a ton of fragile stickers on it, and even talk to the airline to put it in a special cargo section.

DO NOT ship it. First its LA-Israel = oustanding amount. Second the package handlers are twice as bad as rampers handling luggage. Not all rampers throw lugge.
Quote by Nelsean

Every genre of music has it's good and bad. People are just too ignorant to understand that.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
you could negotiate about buying a seat for it?

off the top of my head Im guessing a coach ticket from LA to Israel costs $900-1300.
Quote by Nelsean

Every genre of music has it's good and bad. People are just too ignorant to understand that.
yeh when I went to spain, this guy had his guitar in normal 'gig' bag like a backpack one. Well when we were getting our luggage, his guitar came down the thingy, down the slope VERY fast and hit the wall VERY hard. It made me cringe and this guy wasent happy. So make sure uve got a hard case or try and get a seat for it. But that might be hard because of all the stuuff happening in airports nowadays.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
I just found out that I will probably be able to bring my guitar with me in the plane. Do I still need to detune it and cover it with clothes and stuff?
Quote by nirvana4lf
I just found out that I will probably be able to bring my guitar with me in the plane. Do I still need to detune it and cover it with clothes and stuff?

Detune it for sure.
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
Hmm I would take it on the carry on luggage so you can play it during the trip, but I dunno if you can do that =/