hum , trem , dimbuckers ...?? what is difference between these !!

if a pickup has a high output ..how would that be different for normal out put ?? is it the volume !!

wat do u think the best or most popular company for pickups is (in general) ??
1-seymour duncan
2-EMG
3-dimarzio
Depends on what kind of music you play. All those companies have great models for different styles. I would say that Duncan is better all around, but that is just me. I use EMGs mostly.
You will get to many different opinions on this forum as to what "high output" is and how it is different from "normal" pickups. My suggestion would be to look it up on the internet. Try the EMG or Seymour Duncan websites.
Huh?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but I'll try to respond.

There's two basic kinds of pickups-humbuckers and single-coils. A humbucker looks like two single coils put side by side. Humbuckers were initially used to "buck" the hum that a single-coil generated. With the advent of noiseless single-coils, though, that's no longer the purpose. Humbuckers are generally warmer tone wise while single-coils are generally brighter.

Dimebuckers are a horrible version of a humbucker. Don't buy them. Ever.

Trem is short for tremelo which is a bridge that allows you to loosen the tension on the strings, making them a lower pitch. Also known as a whammy.

A higher output makes the amp easier to overdrive. It's tied to volume, but it's more tied to when a tube amp starts to break-up.

I prefer hand-wound pick-ups. For the one's you listed, it depends on WHICH pick-up you want from that company and for what purpose. All those companies put out a decent pick-up but also have some fairly shitty ones. You'd have to be more specific about what you want the pick-up for.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Let me add to Andrew's response here. Just about everything he said is correct.

However, he left out the piezo pickup. It's more of an electric acoustic guitar thing so I won't explain it.

Tremolo is exactly what he said, meaning it isn't a pickup.

A single coil is a simple electric magnet. It picks up the change in the string as it moves through the magnetic field and creates a sound with it. They can sound pretty cool. Think Hendrix. However, when near an amp, the pickups also pick up the amp. Then you get hum and feedback. Humbuckers are two single coils side by side so that the magnetic field generated cancel eachother out making them very limited in range. Hence you can be near an amp and not get hum. Also since they are cancelling out outside interference and only picking up the string they are warmer. Humbuckers can be wired in many different ways for many different sounds.

A common trend in guitar is that many guitars with humbuckers are wired for switch. What this means is, you pull the tone knob out and one of the single coils on each humbucker turns off. So you can switch between single coils and humbuckers for a wider variety of sounds. Again, if you are new to guitar you wont get too much out of this, but it is often good to get a guitar wired like that for future use. Never hurts to plan ahead.

Also, something not mentioned at all was active and passive electronics. Most pickups are passive. They are just small electric magnets that pickup the string. As such the signal can degrade as it travels from your guitar chord to your amp. Active electronics are amps that have a preamp built in. This preamp boosts the signal so that there is little to know degredation of sound quality. They downside to this is that they usually require a secondary power source. I personlly dont use them as changing batteries pisses me off and sounds changing in the middle of my playing pisses me off even more.

However, there are SOME expensive active pickups that use the amp as their secondary power source. They are cool as hell. Again you probably dont want to worry about that right now but you should know about it to ask later.

If you don't know the difference in pickups it means you are fairly new to electric guitar. As such you don't need nice pickups as your guitar will sound the same. Basically you really can't take advantage of them yet. So, don't worry about your pickups right now. The great thing is you can completely customize them later on in almost any concievable way.

Generally, the ONLY thing a new electric guitarist should worry about is whether they are going to get a humbucker or single coil. Everything else is best left alone until later as they simply will not sound any different in your hands.
Like I said, research what a company's definition of high output is. I don't totally agree with the above definition. It's close but no cigar. On top of having to choose between Humbucker and Single Coil (which should be easy depending what guitar you have) you also need to take Active or Passive into account. High output pickups usually are Active.
i think he was asking about trembuckers, not the tremolo...i beleive trembuckers are widerspaced humbuckers, meant to be placed in the bridge position
"its better to burn out than to fade away"
Last edited by breakerfall34 at Jan 10, 2007,
i really meant wat breakerfall meant
visit seymourduncan and u 'll see one trembucker pickup !!!
Like I said, research what a company's definition of high output is. I don't totally agree with the above definition. It's close but no cigar. On top of having to choose between Humbucker and Single Coil (which should be easy depending what guitar you have) you also need to take Active or Passive into account. High output pickups usually are Active.

Most high-output pickups are passive, active pickups are just that, active pickups. They're high output by default...popular high output models like the Dimarzio Evolution, D-sonic, and Super Distortion, the Bill Lawrence L500XL and the Seymour duncan Invader and Dimebucker (yuck to both!) are all passive. Imp is right though, replacing pickups comes pretty low on the list of priorities early on (if it's there at all) - even well into your playing career it's debatable how important they are, loads of pro musicians play with stock pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Humbuckers use two magnetic coils of wire, which increase the output and cancel noise, Singles use one coil, and the vintage singles don't cancel out noise, but the modern noiseless ones do.

A Dimebucker is just Dimebag Darrels, signature, Humbucking pickup.