Hey guys,
Im supposed to do a presentation for my science class on whichever science-concerning subject, and i decided to talk about how electric guitars work I really don't know how the pickups work and if any1 could help me it would be great :P
very frustrated guitar player

член в русской группе UG! PM Vindiction to join!

And the worst comeback in the history of UG is:
Quote by ketchup_cum
your moms an is

Look on wikipedia. And seriously, why'd you pick the subject you have no idea about?

edit: forget the last part, if you're really Russian you're forgiven. Just go to wiki and search for pickup or something like that, if that doesn't suffice, go to ChaCha and search with a guide.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
lol, otherwise its going to be boring as hell

Quote by ketchup_cum
your moms an is

when the metal string moves through the pickups magnetic field it produces a current. this signal is then amplified by the... you guessed it... the amp. thats the basic principle.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by ar73m
Look on wikipedia. And seriously, why'd you pick the subject you have no idea about?

edit: forget the last part, if you're really Russian you're forgiven. Just go to wiki and search for pickup or something like that, if that doesn't suffice, go to ChaCha and search with a guide.

lol **** off

Quote by ketchup_cum
your moms an is

Quote by newbe guitarist
lol **** off

what your sig says you're Russian, I'd never flame a Russian brotha. And you can seriously find some awesome stuff about pretty much anything on Wiki, have you tried it?

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

lol, it really looked like by the way u said im russian my "stupidity" is forgiven

Quote by ketchup_cum
your moms an is

Quote by newbe guitarist
lol, it really looked like by the way u said im russian my "stupidity" is forgiven

So wait, are you russian or not?

Potomu 4to esli net to tq balbes

do a search as I remember someone else doing the same project as you a while back maybe you will find something in there!
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
A pickup is basically a permanent magnet with copper wire wound around it.
When the strings, made of nickel or steel for magnetic properties, vibrate, they create fluctuations in the magnetic field, causing a small current to be induced.

This current is then sent to the amp, and comes out of the speaker as a death metal riff.

That's basically it.

Now, the REAL voodoo comes in when you try to achieve a certain sound. There are many factors that have positive and negative effects, and need to balance one another out. Here are a few:

-More windings: more output, but less treble. Might sound muddy
-Stronger magnet: brighter tone
-Type of magnet: Alnico II's sound warm, Ceramics sound more 'extreme'. Alnico V's are in between. They're warm, but bright
-Shape of bobbin: the bobbin is the plastic thing you wind your wire on. If it's short and fat, you get a warmer tone. If it's tall and thin, you get a clearer tone
-Pickup Position: strings vibrate less near the bridge, so bridge position pickups sound brighter and thinner.
-Other components in the circuit: not gonna go into detail

Hope that helps.

Quote by ar73m
So wait, are you russian or not?

Potomu 4to esli net to tq balbes

Я здесь самый русский после zapppа и его сотрудников.

^^^If that appears as a bunch of squares, question marks or random accented vowels, then you're not as russian as you think.
Last edited by sashki at Jan 10, 2007,
k thanks sashki

Quote by ketchup_cum
your moms an is

mat tvou, no vsetoki skolko zdes ruskih??

Quote by ketchup_cum
your moms an is

Моя мать здесь не причём.

Хотя это вроде сайт русского происхождения, русских граждан здесь маловато
А в твоей "русской группе" наверника интересуются только русским матом.

СУКИ!