I've heard people talk about having their giutars 'set-up' by a pro at their local shop, and i'm just wondering what it envolves, and how big a difference it will make.

any of you guys had a guitar set-up, and does it make a difference?

If it helps, im having it done to my USA fender strat.

Thanks
A full professional setup will ensure that the plability of your guitar is at its best. With a combination of adjusting the truss rod and bridge / saddles, the action will be at the ideal height with minimal to no buzzing, and the intonation will be on. This can make the a big difference.

Having it done professionally is always a good choice if you don't know what you're doing. However, it is a rather easy processif you take your time. You may want to check out the guide below and try it yourself. It's specifically for a strat, so that could be useful to you.

http://www.icepoint.com/guitar/Setting%20up%20your%20electric%20guitar/

Personcally, I use a feeler gauge (normally used to measure spark plug gaps - less than $10 at any automotove supply store) instead of a metal ruler. It's far more accurate.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I would especially have it set up if I bought it mail-order. Sometimes these are OK right out of the box, but when you thaink of all the abuse, temp and humidty changes they go through during shipment, it's very likely that something will be out of adjustment.
Anytime a guitar moved from one environment to another, the neck has the potential to shift a bit due to different ambient temperature and humidity. So getting a mail-order guitar set up is always a must.

Also, if you live in a climate where temperature and humidity chance drastically with seasons, this will also affect the gutiar. Bolt-on guitars are less affected by this. Set neck and neck-thru guitars are affected more. I know I need to adjust the truss rods on all my gutiars usually twice a year - mid autumn and mid-spring, where our temperature and humidity changes drastically.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor