Okay guys, just this afternoon I came up with this brilliantly stupid idea of practicing overhand playing (you know, the kinda thing that Batio does a lot). I already kinda grabbed the 1-2-3-4 chromatic exercise with it, and know I want some more excercises. Help me out here! =D
Write out the numbers 1,2,3,4 in as many ways possible and use those fingerings moving all across the fretboard. Use a metronome of course.

I've started to try and learn to play like that too. It's really hard.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
i've tried this before, i couldn't find any inherent advantage over normal playing, unless of course you count looking "cool" an advantage.
Quote by z4twenny
i've tried this before, i couldn't find any inherent advantage over normal playing, unless of course you count looking "cool" an advantage.

(...) basically, thats all the advantage ure gonna get...
Ibanez K7
JCM 800
what's wrong with looking cooler while you play?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Just go crazy!
~MOOGLE TECH~
Don't want to pay too much for your Instruments?
Check Out:
http://www.moogletech.com

They got free music and media. You can find great sales on guitars too.

Check it out if you get time
well their is the advantage of reaching the higher frets on the lower strings easier. I'm sure it would make stretching on the lower strings easier as well
You get different ways to mute stuff when playing like that.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by vowel
well their is the advantage of reaching the higher frets on the lower strings easier. I'm sure it would make stretching on the lower strings easier as well

i can reach the low strings up on the frets just fine on my guitar..... as for looking cooler.... ugh.... if i was to see someone do this i'd prolly think they're a wanker just trying to show off.... i'd give them far less credit than had they done the tapping piece normally. i'd rather have someone play something that kicks a$$ and not TRY to show off, than play the same thing trying to show off.
yeah most people can reach them just fine. Doesn't take away the fact it makes it a easier though (once you can do it of course.) It's like sweep picking is easier once you get it down than trying to pick the notes normally...
Quote by z4twenny
i can reach the low strings up on the frets just fine on my guitar..... as for looking cooler.... ugh.... if i was to see someone do this i'd prolly think they're a wanker just trying to show off.... i'd give them far less credit than had they done the tapping piece normally. i'd rather have someone play something that kicks a$$ and not TRY to show off, than play the same thing trying to show off.

I could understand what you mean if someone played something and then another person played that same thing except "overhand" just to show off; But if you're playing a concert and it's your job to put up a show then wouldn't it be cool to do?

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
^ honestly, i don't like trying to see people TRY to show off, i've seen so many people try to show off i find it VERY annoying, sure i could go on stage and show off, but why? i'm not saying just stand there and look bored, but at the same time, what's the purpose of it? if its something that can only be played with overhand tapping, then ok, thats cool, if there is a switch up in tapping that makes it infinitely easier, ok thats cool too (which i can't think of anything that would be made that much easier) but i'm a big believer in the "tool" ideal in that i'd rather see a band that doesn't try to show off but has excellent music, than a band that does try to show off and has subpar music. i find when people do things like this, its often because the music isn't very good.
I'm not that good at muting the strings with only my left hand, playing all that legato stuff, so I can use the over hand thingie for muting purposes. I know I'm not supposed to make it a habit, and I don't intend to. It's just a temporary solution, until I get around to working on my left hand muting.
"i'd rather see a band that doesn't try to show off but has excellent music, than a band that does try to show off and has subpar music."

Sure. But I'd rather see a band with good music that also looks good and does a good show, than a band that just plays their set like a cd player and leaves, don't you agree? If gigs were JUST for the music, people would listen to cds instead.

Nothing wrong with 'showing off', as long as you manage to do your thing properly. It's an entirely different thing if you screw it up and look stupid
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
*add to above^* ....Also, showing off isn't good when you get cocky about it either, otherwise it's fun.

To bangoodcharlote^^ I don't know what the hell you mean but I like you so I'm not even gonna ask.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
well, malmsteen puts on one hell of a live show, and i never saw him playing overhand

same with steve vai

and countless others
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
There are different ways to do many things.

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by ar73m
"i'd rather see a band that doesn't try to show off but has excellent music, than a band that does try to show off and has subpar music."

Sure. But I'd rather see a band with good music that also looks good and does a good show, than a band that just plays their set like a cd player and leaves, don't you agree? If gigs were JUST for the music, people would listen to cds instead.

Nothing wrong with 'showing off', as long as you manage to do your thing properly. It's an entirely different thing if you screw it up and look stupid

I hate to say it, but its subjective.

If you think something looks cool, it doesn't mean that it is cool. When I see someone play overhanded, I don't think its cool at all. I think its pretty much pointless. I'd rather see a band put time towards writing better music or coming up with a more intricate show than seeing one guitarist off in a corner playing with his hand over his guitar like a douchebag.

Gigs aren't JUST for the music, no. They're for a performance. I can't see how one band member in a corner playing a guitar line like a retard could enhance the visual display at all, let alone if it were in a bigger venue (to the point where you couldn't even see it really? then what's the point?) How about some stage dynamics, some kind of show that doesn't focus on ONE band member for a few hazy seconds when you can hardly see it anyway?

Personally, I think it makes you look like an idiot. Batio looks like a pole smoker when he does it, and so would you, at least IMO.