I didn't check to see if there was another thread like this so I am going to post one... Being a person who likes metal, I usually tend to focus more on guitar sounds and all the little nuances.. For those of you who like to focus on the guitar aspect of the metal band.. what do you think will come of the stereotypical Heavy palm mute that we all have hardwired into our minds? I like the palm mute sound but will there be anything that would sound heavier?

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
naa the palm mutes a bloody classic/

why mess with something that sounds good and cant really be beated?
for example/ what would 'tallica's seek and destroy be without palms?
"Heavy" is such a bullshit term, it's like "best."

Palm mutes are nice but they are a little cliche. Someone will come up with something new eventually but, like everything, it will be rejected by the masses as a deviation from true metal or whatever genre, only to be accepted as God's gift to music a few years later.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
to the guy above me though, can you think of anything that dampens the strings to make the chuggy ass sound only with your hands?

aside from downtuning the guitar [which demeans speed aswell] and using effects etc to change it, i guess there isnt much else to do
If you don't care about pitch and just want a low chugging sound, you can mute the strings right in front of the nut, but other than that, I can think of nothing that gets that muted sound. Unless you take out your midrange xD Or use the neck pickup... but that's not as good for squeals...

Also, detuning doesn't inhibit speed unless you don't put heavier strings on. Check out Children of Bodom's "Trashed Lost and Strungout" and "If You Want Peace, Prepare for War". Or Venom's "Black Metal"...
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Now, BARITONE guitars on the other hand... those WOULD be hard to play fast on.. but you can go as low as dropped B flat and still play pretty fast.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Quote by philipisabeast
to the guy above me though, can you think of anything that dampens the strings to make the chuggy ass sound only with your hands?

aside from downtuning the guitar [which demeans speed aswell] and using effects etc to change it, i guess there isnt much else to do

No, not that we've thought of yet. That's my point. Dampening the strings isn't what I was talking about. That's why I sad "heavy" was a bullshit term. What defines "heavy?"

There's a lot of cool sounds you can get out your guitar if you manipulate feedback to your advantage. Couple that with a chorus or filter of some kind and you'll have a lot more fun than you would playing with someone else's ideas.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Palm mutes are pretty essential in metal, in my opinion. If you just play open strings though out the whole song, it'd have the same feel as a punk song. I wouldn't call palm muting a "trend" or "cliche", its a technique and an important technique in achieving a heavy metal sound.

Triplet picking/the gallop technique is pretty awesome to add in the making of a heavy metal song. There is all sorts of little shit you don't even realize when you are writting and playing metal, not just palm muting.
Quote by insideac
And how the hell did you come up with such an irrelevant thread title?

+1
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Trem picking on harmonic regions outside the fret board is more fun than palm muting

Are you saying that having your fretting fingers just covering the string?
No, you choose a harmonic (preferably somewhere around the pickups) and trem pick on top of that harmonic while fretting notes in the key of that harmonic. You get a really nice choked kitten effect haha
I play doom, what is this "palm muting" of which you speak?
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Quote by Spynal
I play doom, what is this "palm muting" of which you speak?

^ Doom pwns. But yeah, I've actually done some of that harmonic stuff. Actually, I fretted a power chord, then put the edge of my pick hand across the strings over the pickup, and hit it in steady 8ths while moving my hand towards the neck. It creates kind of a flanging sound. This sounds similar, just keeping in one spot and tremolo picking... now I gotta try that xD Maybe an open string puloff riff that hits said related notes... hehe... Thanks for the idea, bo!

Stupid name.

Downtune your high E string so you can hardly hear it, then randomly wank the top 8 frets.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.