Well I guess its an easily understood question-
How come those acoustic basses cost more than
the electric ones?
is it because the amount of wood?
do they sound better?
HUH?!

just curious.

Edit:
Why does anyone want an accoustic bass? they're usless without an amplifier and just sound like a detuned guitar on their own

aww...but they look so cewl!
For those who are interested in making a guitar out of cigar boxes:
Cigar Box Guitars (aka CBG)
they also show you how to make pickups, bottleneck slides and cigar box AMPs

-----------AAAA!!!---------
Last edited by ClassicalGuitar at Jan 11, 2007,
its harder to make acoustic basses because of the tension i believe
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Beating the elderly is a big favourite of mine. Also, pushing kids over and kicking pregnant women in the womb is fun.

Right now we're called 'Various Artists' just to fuck over people with iPods
it's really a totally different instrument. there's a much bigger difference compared to an electric and acoustic guitar.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Basically what those two guys said. They're more difficult to make, and are in less demand, meaning a higher price is needed.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Wait, when he says acoustic bass, does he mean acoustic bass guitar, or upright bass

If it's the guitar version, then it's because they aren't as in high of a demand and are somewhat harder to make.

If it's an upright, then it's because they're freakin' huge, and more care goes into making them than with a typical bass guitar (including some custom jobs).
to put it simply: about 2 in 20 bassists buy an acoustic. and all acoustic basses (not uprights!) have electronics in them because they generate such little sound.

compared to acoustic guitars, which outsell electrics most of the time.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Why does anyone want an accoustic bass? they're usless without an amplifier and just sound like a detuned guitar on their own
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Mr Swift said it. I got one and it's gathering dust. Every time i play i wonder why i bought it. It sounds cool plugged in and played with a pick, but meh..

Plus they're massive so are crap for campfires. Take a guitar!
Quote by Scourge441
Wait, when he says acoustic bass, does he mean acoustic bass guitar, or upright bass

If it's the guitar version, then it's because they aren't as in high of a demand and are somewhat harder to make.

If it's an upright, then it's because they're freakin' huge, and more care goes into making them than with a typical bass guitar (including some custom jobs).

Uh... I really don't want to start this again, but it's not a Bass Guitar. It's just simply a Bass, Electric Bass, Upright Bass (Also the double bass), and Acoustic Bass. it is its' own instrument. It did not desend from the guitar. It came from the upright bass, then it was turned into the electric bass fiddle, which was the first bass to be played LIKE a guitar. Um... so.... I wish BassBitch was still here, she could explain it better.
^ She's traveling at the moment, jacked in her job for six months a while back. She will be back in Feb. And yeah she would go mad calling it a bass guitar.

but you know what? i might start calling it a Wozzer. Because what's in a name?

Now i'm off to play my Wozzer
Quote by John Swift

IMO +1 for almost every acoustic bass, except the Tacoma Thunderchief. I played a fretless one at GC, and I was playing with a friend playing acoustic and another playing electric into some acoustic amp setup, and I was actually audible.

Acoustic basses are fun, just too useless unless you pay relatively big money. Personally I don't think I could ever justify the 750 or so it'd cost for me to buy a Tacoma Thunderchief used, it would be used way too little.
haha
^ you played a fretless thunderchief? didnt know such a thing existed. How much, same price as the fretted?
Quote by FbSa
Uh... I really don't want to start this again, but it's not a Bass Guitar. It's just simply a Bass, Electric Bass, Upright Bass (Also the double bass), and Acoustic Bass. it is its' own instrument. It did not desend from the guitar. It came from the upright bass, then it was turned into the electric bass fiddle, which was the first bass to be played LIKE a guitar. Um... so.... I wish BassBitch was still here, she could explain it better.

I know it descended from the bass family, but the shape came from the guitar. It's essentially a fusion between a bass and a guitar, hence the term "bass guitar." If you just say "bass," it doesn't differentiate between upright, electric, acoustic, whamola, etc. The way I see it, "bass" is an umbrella term to describe many different types, one of which is the bass guitar.

Plus (this relates to the point I made above), I've heard the term "acoustic bass" in reference to uprights, so I needed a way to differentiate between the two to answer the threadstarter's question.
Quote by Scourge441
I know it descended from the bass family, but the shape came from the guitar. It's essentially a fusion between a bass and a guitar, hence the term "bass guitar." If you just say "bass," it doesn't differentiate between upright, electric, acoustic, whamola, etc. The way I see it, "bass" is an umbrella term to describe many different types, one of which is the bass guitar.

Plus (this relates to the point I made above), I've heard the term "acoustic bass" in reference to uprights, so I needed a way to differentiate between the two to answer the threadstarter's question.

seriously, its Bass Guitar
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by myself101

seriously, its Bass Guitar

If i walk like a dog, does that make me a man dog? No. I am a man that looks like a dog. nuff said.

Like i said, i'm calling it a Wozzer from now on, this argument is tedious and infinite
I second the Wozzer motion. My Wozzer broke its G mooglige, need to get a new set.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Seriously folks, didn't we learn anything from Shakespeare?

Who's Shakespeare? Is he an actor? What films did he do?

Quote by canadianpunk071
I second the Wozzer motion. My Wozzer broke its G mooglige, need to get a new set.

Elixirs ! I love those mooglige's!
Quote by canadianpunk071

If you get a heavier set of mooglige, be sure to adjust your korbuckle, the new tension might screw with it.

Quote by Applehead
Who's Shakespeare? Is he an actor? What films did he do?

You know dude... that movie with that dude... from Titanic
haha
Quote by Applehead
If i walk like a dog, does that make me a man dog? No. I am a man that looks like a dog. nuff said.

Like i said, i'm calling it a Wozzer from now on, this argument is tedious and infinite

Bass Guitars are not played like guitar so your metaphor is out of context. The question is if i look like a dog and walk and talk like a man does that make me a man dog? And yes, i think it does.
Titanic? is that the one with the big shark when they send the guys out on the boat to kill it?

Quote by flytv12
Bass Guitars are not played like guitar so your metaphor is out of context. The question is if i look like a dog and walk and talk like a man does that make me a man dog? And yes, i think it does.

how is it not played like a guitar? you hold it on a strap, it hangs around your neck and you use your fingers or a plectrum to generate sound from the steel strings.

This is such a silly argument and i'm not going to carry it on. you man dog ! haha
Last edited by Applehead at Jan 10, 2007,
Quote by Applehead
Titanic? is that the one with the big shark when they send the guys out on the boat to kill it?

Yeah, then Batman comes along to save the day and sprays the shark with his trusty Bat-shark repellent. Then he escapes by helicopter and has tea and crumpets with the Queen.

This is the second thread in as many days we've sent to hell
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Quote by canadianpunk071
Yeah, then Batman comes along to save the day and sprays the shark with his trusty Bat-shark repellent. Then he escapes by helicopter and has tea and crumpets with the Queen.

This is the second thread in as many days we've sent to hell

Yes, but isn't it much better to derail threads where the original topic got derailed into an argument almost as pointless as "What's a more effective way to kill yourself, overdose or jump off a bridge?" EITHER WAY, YOU'RE DEAD

EITHER WAY, IT'S A BASS!
haha
^ Either Way, Batman Is Awesome

EDIT: I love how it won't let me do all caps.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Jan 10, 2007,
Batman doesnt eat crumpets, he eats small children.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
"What's a more effective way to kill yourself, overdose or jump off a bridge?" EITHER WAY, YOU'RE DEAD

I'd go with the heroin overdose myself. Might as well go out smiling. No point in sending your head through your arse
Last edited by Applehead at Jan 10, 2007,
Quote by Applehead
Batman doesnt eat crumpets, he eats small children.

I'd go with the heroin overdose myself. Might as well go out smiling. No point in sending your head through your arse

He toned it down for the Queen. Really it was a misunderstanding, the Queen actually enjoys marinated fetuses, but the Queen's people and Batman's people don't really discuss these things.

And my choice suicide is to jump out of a plane with no parachute. Then I'd screw over my loved ones by legally binding them to cremate me, compress my ashes into a synthetic diamond, encase the diamond in a 15-foot solid granite monument, and then blast said monument into space.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Quote by Applehead

geez, i just agreed with him

no need to start an agrument
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by canadianpunk071
He toned it down for the Queen. Really it was a misunderstanding, the Queen actually enjoys marinated fetuses, but the Queen's people and Batman's people don't really discuss these things.

And my choice suicide is to jump out of a plane with no parachute. Then I'd screw over my loved ones by legally binding them to cremate me, compress my ashes into a synthetic diamond, encase the diamond in a 15-foot solid granite monument, and then blast said monument into space.

Holy Shit! I love this thread.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
THis section of the forum needs to be rennamed the Wozzer Forum.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by canadianpunk071

Man, if only they spoke. They could've really chowed down.

I'm planning a small trip to space when i'm older so i'll keep a look out for your monument. I'll probably nick the diamond though if i can get through that granite. Damn you and your excellent choice of hard rock
Quote by Applehead
I'm planning a small trip to space when i'm older so i'll keep a look out for your monument. I'll probably nick the diamond though if i can get through that granite. Damn you and your excellent choice of hard rock

Aw assballs, space pirates! Though, you realize the diamond will really be me. Haunt you good, I will!
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

I'll buy an SR-505, split it in two and then encrust them as 12th fret markers in your honour.
Quote by Applehead
I'll buy an SR-505, split it in two and then encrust them as 12th fret markers in your honour.

...that's brilliant and beautiful, steal away then!

*presents hero cookie*
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Quote by Applehead

haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Sigged. I deem this the most hilarious thread in a long while.

Quote by MetalUpTheAss

I tell you, if i buy one more bass my girlfriend is going to cut my balls off, crush them in her hand and then use them as 12th fret markers!
Quote by Applehead
I tell you, if i buy one more bass my girlfriend is going to cut my balls off, crush them in her hand and then use them as 12th fret markers!

Just buy more basses in similar color schemes. You've got a black Stingray right? Just buy a black Sterling... or a black Stingray 5... or a black j-bass.

PERFECT!
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Just buy more basses in similar color schemes. You've got a black Stingray right? Just buy a black Sterling... or a black Stingray 5... or a black j-bass.

PERFECT!

"I swear honey, I only own the black one!"

"This one has a maple fretboard! Yesterday it had rosewood!"

"ARGH MY BALLS YOU CRAZY BITCH"
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Page 1 of 2