Hey,

I was thinking about pimping my guitar with some new pickups maybe, I'm a Metallica fan and noticed they all use active EMG 81 humbuckers and so do many other metal bands, but is it possible to put those humbucker in my guitar in which are now 3 Squier single-coils..

And can they get a great clean tone too? Cause they're mostly used with metal and stuff.

My pick-ups are fine, people (guitar players) tell me my guitar has a great tone so I'm not sure but I was just wondering .
I heard of him yes
Oh great, but do they actually fit? Do I just have to like make the entry for my pick-ups bigger or is there more to it? If I ever want them I would let it be done at a good guitar-shop for sure!
yeah, you can. the problem you will face is where you switch out a single coil for a humbucker. I would go to a guitar shop and find someone to do it professionally.
if i were to fit EMGs to a strat id save up for a mex or usa model fat or HH strat. the squier is a poor quality guitar in comparison.

also you mentioned you have a 3 single coil setup - this means the body would need to be routed (unless like my squier theres a single cavity for all electronics) and you'd have to get another pickguard or have your current one modified.

having a fat or HH strat would mean that you could simply replace the humbucker(s) with an 81 - possibly with some small routing work for the 9v battery.
but I want those EMG 81 humbuckers!!

Well price is not a factor yet, I mean I could wait and save up money for like a (few) year(s).

I think this would be pretty cool: a bridge EMG 81 Humbucker, Seymour duncan single coil, neck Seymourd duncan single coil.
No my Squier is really good it's a pre 1988 made in Japan one, I just heard they are rare and guitar players say my guitar is of great quality , I played new Squiers and yes they really suck! I also played a Fender and it was comparable with mine.
I got the DG20 system im my Fender mex HSS strat which is basically 3 EMG SA single coils EXG expander and SPC presence control. In my opinion, the EXG and SPC are worth every penny because it really adds alot of dynamics and can drastically change your sound. Alot of people are going to tell you they sound sterile, but they really aren't that bad.

I personally am happy I went with the DG20 because I use a Rocker 30 and it doesn't have an EQ on the clean channel, so the pre amps give me the control I need for my cleans. Overall, they're a great choice, very versitile.
Gibson Les Paul Classic w/Stetsbar
Fender MIM Strat w/ EMG DG20 System
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Memory Boy
Maxon OD9
EHX Big Muff
Vox Wah
EHX POG
Quote by Cizzie
No my Squier is really good it's a pre 1988 made in Japan one, I just heard they are rare and guitar players say my guitar is of great quality , I played new Squiers and yes they really suck! I also played a Fender and it was comparable with mine.

then i take back my comment, you didn't specify so i assumed it was a new one ^_^
Quote by 7PlaGues
the 80s japanese squiers are collectibles and very sought after. hold on to that sucker.
mark, i am doing the same setup with the DG20. I have to get another strat first.

Nice, I hope you enjoy them.
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Memory Boy
Maxon OD9
EHX Big Muff
Vox Wah
EHX POG
Funny is I didn't know my guitar was 'good' after I had it for like half an year, that sales man whas rambling on and on about the fact that it was Japanese, I thought they were all Japanese . I saw one on a ebay like site which was €550 and beaten, mine was €390 and new. WOOT!

I can't wait to pimp it!

EDIT: I just ordered Ernie Ball regular slinky's, so I'm slowly improving it!
Last edited by Cizzie at Jan 10, 2007,
The EMG's gilmour uses are not really the same thing as 81's are they? You also said you wanted a great clean tone, well EMG's are known for not having very good cleans, I don't mind them but there is definitely better out there for cleans.
I take that back, I meant only an EMG 81 humbucker bridge pick up.
I'm thinking of a clean Seymour Duncan neck pick up, those are good right?
Yea, their good. Then you'd be mixing actives with passives though and from what i've heard that's pretty tough to sort out, so it might cost you more, I don't know. Are you going with just 2 humbuckers or like h/s/h?
Quote by YYZ
The EMG's gilmour uses are not really the same thing as 81's are they? You also said you wanted a great clean tone, well EMG's are known for not having very good cleans, I don't mind them but there is definitely better out there for cleans.

That's funny because the single coil EMG's are a big part of Gilmour's '85 and onwards sound and he plays clean an awful lot. And SD do an active pickup as well, the Livewire i think, whether this goes well with the EMG 81 or not is beyond me.

statopaul_mark how do you find that EHX Reverb? I'm considering buying without trying seeing as it's not overly expensive...
I saw a strat with 3 thin EMGs in it yesterday at Billy Hyde's. they fitted neatly into the standard SSS pickguard. As far as I could make out it was made by fender, although I suppose it's possible the shop's guitar tech made it up as a custom. I haven't had a chance to play that one yet, we were busy haggling over the price of the Epiphone LP custom my brother wants to buy (got $250 off the RRP)
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by codybcool
That's funny because the single coil EMG's are a big part of Gilmour's '85 and onwards sound and he plays clean an awful lot.

That's what I was asking, an EMG 81 is pretty different from the Single Coiled EMG's that Gilmour uses. You wouldn't really be able to get his tone from an EMG 81 and you probably wouldn't be able to get a Metallica type tone from his Single Coils eh?
Yeah, i was just clarifying that that's not very true.

For the record, you can't get a Metallica type tone from pickups
Quote by codybcool
Yeah, i was just clarifying that that's not very true.

For the record, you can't get a Metallica type tone from pickups

Like, those EMG SA's wouldn't be a very good choice for metal right? He said that he liked Metallica and their EMG pickups, then people started recommending EMG SA's to him.
Quote by Danno13
Well, you certainly can't get one without pickups.

I don't know about that, with the right acoustic you can get some good sounds for Battery, Fight fire with fire, etc.....

You know what i meant
Quote by codybcool
That's funny because the single coil EMG's are a big part of Gilmour's '85 and onwards sound and he plays clean an awful lot. And SD do an active pickup as well, the Livewire i think, whether this goes well with the EMG 81 or not is beyond me.

statopaul_mark how do you find that EHX Reverb? I'm considering buying without trying seeing as it's not overly expensive...

I can't really compare it to other pedals because I bought it a while back because it came highly reccomended so I really didn't try out many other reverb's.

I'm quite happy with it but the main problem I find is the more reverb you put on it, the more the tone of the pedal takes over. Also, the flerb setting is pretty cool and I actually can find uses for it.

Anyways, heres a demo of it that I found to be quite useful:
http://media.ehx.com/media/wmv/05_HolyGrail_med.wmv

Hope this helped!
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Memory Boy
Maxon OD9
EHX Big Muff
Vox Wah
EHX POG
Quote by YYZ
Like, those EMG SA's wouldn't be a very good choice for metal right? He said that he liked Metallica and their EMG pickups, then people started recommending EMG SA's to him.

First of all, that would be she and her.

And yeah, I'm not looking for a Gilmour sound!

Someone said your not gonna get a 'Metallica' sound with an EMG '81, now I wonder does it even make a big difference? Or would it all be a waste of money and time because my pick-ups are fine now?
But whenever I play Metallica, people are like: 'Lol, playing Metallica on a strat?!'.
So I figured maybe the pick-ups would make it sound a lot more 'heavier'
Quote by Cizzie
First of all, that would be she and her.

And yeah, I'm not looking for a Gilmour sound!

Someone said your not gonna get a 'Metallica' sound with an EMG '81, now I wonder does it even make a big difference? Or would it all be a waste of money and time because my pick-ups are fine now?
But whenever I play Metallica, people are like: 'Lol, playing Metallica on a strat?!'.
So I figured maybe the pick-ups would make it sound a lot more 'heavier'

Oh, I apologize for that. Yea, humbuckers will give you a heavier sound (fatter sound), especially EMG's. Personally though, I would just keep the strat how it is. Maybe invest in another guitar for playing that stuff?
Yes maybe.. I'll think about it, wait a few months and see if I still think the same way